rs485 huanyang speed control

More
28 Jun 2018 02:50 #112962 by InMyDarkestHour
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrendaEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2018 03:21 - 28 Jun 2018 04:26 #112964 by BrendaEM
Thank you.

I saw where someone uploaded their whole setup, but I didn't see anything regarding spindle speed ranges, as outlined in the Huanyang module man page.

[Cool X11 Joystick driver, with comments: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_X11_Joystick_Driver]

~

I feel bad about LinuxCNC because the documentation is not getting updated by those people who know it, and I can imagine those on the forum likely get burned out after a while from helping people. I can see many of the new users being frustrated by this as well.

For LinuxCNC to flourish to its potential it will need to outgrow this problem. The only other open source project I have seen this problem with is OpenFoam CFD.

I have gotten some good advice here on the forum from knowledgeable people who knew not only what to do but what they are doing, but I feel bad to have to ask for it.

Both OpenFoam and LinuxCNC have in common that they are not only very powerful, but very adaptable. So, this introduces a new problem: a new user will have too many possible things to learn and consider at once. This is why examples are so important, because they show a restriction, a cordoning off, or a direction taken with those possibilities.

This thread concerns, for better or worse, the single most prevalent VFD on the market, likely but not exclusively hooked to a Huanyang spindle motor, but no commented .hal.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 04:26 by BrendaEM.

More
28 Jun 2018 05:01 #112968 by InMyDarkestHour
I think, and I agree, that most here will guide someone towards the right answer, rather than give a complete solution.

Reasons for this being a good way of dealing with questions.
1; The person asking the question will gain knowledge.
2: Sometimes the question being asked is not the "right" question.
3: Important information regarding the questioners' setup is either missing or not correct. (This can be a blameless situation)
4: The hows & whys will be touched more often when someone is guided towards the answer.
5: People will try to come up with an answer and questions will be ask as to why this particular way does not work......More information is available.
6: Sometimes a posted config just doesn't work......I'm helping another Sydney sider getting a DE0 SOC nano working with Machinekit and a supplied example seems a bit iffy..but when sorted we'll both be the wiser.

More
28 Jun 2018 06:15 #112970 by InMyDarkestHour

Thank you.

I saw where someone uploaded their whole setup, but I didn't see anything regarding spindle speed ranges, as outlined in the Huanyang module man page.

[Cool X11 Joystick driver, with comments: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_X11_Joystick_Driver]

~

I feel bad about LinuxCNC because the documentation is not getting updated by those people who know it, and I can imagine those on the forum likely get burned out after a while from helping people. I can see many of the new users being frustrated by this as well.

For LinuxCNC to flourish to its potential it will need to outgrow this problem. The only other open source project I have seen this problem with is OpenFoam CFD.

I have gotten some good advice here on the forum from knowledgeable people who knew not only what to do but what they are doing, but I feel bad to have to ask for it.

Both OpenFoam and LinuxCNC have in common that they are not only very powerful, but very adaptable. So, this introduces a new problem: a new user will have too many possible things to learn and consider at once. This is why examples are so important, because they show a restriction, a cordoning off, or a direction taken with those possibilities.

This thread concerns, for better or worse, the single most prevalent VFD on the market, likely but not exclusively hooked to a Huanyang spindle motor, but no commented .hal.

If you haven't seen Andy's post on testing a vfd, maybe this could help, I can't see how you could make too many things go bang if your vfd is setup correctly.
forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/292...c-2-7?start=40#62567

More
28 Jun 2018 10:57 - 28 Jun 2018 11:03 #112979 by BrendaEM
Obviously, running the VFD too fast will destroy it, and/or the motor, creating a safety hazard for the user.

Apparently, running Huanyang's air-cooled spindles below 100hz too slow will apparently destroy them in short order.

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Russ has 2 videos on the Huanyang VFD. I didn't know he had problems It's perhaps worthy to consider that if he had issues many others will have problems as well.

Of all the people who have used LinuxCNC, only 25 have shared their .hal configurations in the .hal example forum.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 11:03 by BrendaEM.

More
28 Jun 2018 11:20 - 29 Jun 2018 15:50 #112980 by InMyDarkestHour
Post deleted
Last edit: 29 Jun 2018 15:50 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: As trquested
The following user(s) said Thank You: tecno

More
28 Jun 2018 16:56 - 28 Jun 2018 22:22 #112998 by BrendaEM
Firstly, I offer my apology. I noticed that the source of my angst was the documentation, and I should not have editorialized off-topic about that in this thread. I am sorry about the disrespect I have shown the original poster. I have made a post about the documentation, elsewhere: forum.linuxcnc.org/32-documents/34802-li...ly-documented#113000

I will address this here, though, in kind:

Ozzyrob, I don't know that to say...

Your "young player" who had a "bit of a problem," actually has a good introductory series of youtube videos on LinuxCNC here:

Listen to part 6, about .hal. To the best of my recollection, he was not comfortable with his knowledge of hal. Still Russ seems pretty sharp, except for one of the frequency settings, perhaps.

~

To the uninitiated, what you posted might have been about something only pertaining to this thread, but Ozzyrob, you attacked idea to save screen real estate in this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/34620-xfc...ouchscreens?start=10

You have been watching, making small comments, and offering no helpful suggestion to help shape the user interface design I've been working on, to meld the other LinuxCNC designs: forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/34572-a-wides...nder-style-interface

You were also attacked me in this thread: forum.linuxcnc.org/nativecam/34689-nativ...cnc-2-8?limitstart=0

In fact, you recommended against LinuxCNC. "...Maybe Machinekit maybe more to your liking..."

You again promoted Machinekit here: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/33776-lin...spberry?limitstart=0
"...Stop wasting your time...Install machinekit then work out how to blink your LED, rather than trying to port a driver...."[/b]

Are you the same Ozzyrob, who is involved with Machinekit, here?
github.com/ozzyrob/pp_cape

So, Ozzyrob, are you going to accept that someone else might have an opinion for things that might be helpful to LinuxCNC, or are you going to continue to follow me around here on this web forum, biting at my heels like an angry mutt?

I'm not some cloistered parent. I don't care if you use bad words, only bad ideas. If you make another off comment, it will probably confirm that you are harassing me, and I will ask for you to at least get a ban warning.

Lastly, I should hope that by coming to this forum, that you have LinuxCNC's best intentions in mind, but I think that your actions are (now) harmful to the LinuxCNC community. If that is not your intent, you might either examine your methods, or resolve any possible conflicts of interest.

Anyway....

I have a nearly complete CNC gantry machine out in the garage. With some help from a few helpful individuals here, I've gotten all the axis setup and dialed in. I was looking for information on a working Huanyang spindle/VFD in how the .hal works with it, numerical things, too, like in hy man page, so I do things right and not smoke the thing.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 22:22 by BrendaEM.

More
29 Jun 2018 03:04 #113047 by InMyDarkestHour
Yeah Russ has some great videos, most of which I have seen. And since I'm crotchety old (insert word pertaining to one who has questionable parentage) I feel ok referring to Russ as a "young player".

No, I'm not "involved with machine kit", (although I am assisting another Sydney sider get a DE0-soc-nano going and have a few spacers and stuff to fab for him) I have aired my issues with MK and the way it is heading. Hence my migrating from my current BBB\MK setup to x86\Linuxcnc......this machine has also seen the use of Mach3.

The files on github were for a personnel solution for using a BeagleBone Black to control my mill. I have shared, say given away, few unassembled boards, ie ALL components and PCBS required for the modular 3 solution. I asked nothing for postage either, if someone pressed to pay for postage, rather than send me any monies I just asked they make a donation to their favourite charity.
In actual fact the boards aren't just for cnc applications, they can make the connection of 5v logic devices to the BBB safer as all the logic level conversion is done via the daughter boards.
The test panels are also on github can be used with either Linuxcnc or MK, a change of hal to suit.

MK has the drivers in place for the RPi, although not conversant with the changes made to the MK code base there has been some "cleaning up of code". Why spend hours rewriting a driver for Linuxcnc when one exists for MK. Prebuilt packages are available. MK seems to be more geared towards embedded\SBC solutions.

As for the XFCE desktop, I suggested it was an easy fix to right click on the offending dock and either have it removed or put to auto hide. I did suggest that some may like to convenience of the dock. The dock is far easier to remove than to setup.
There is also the option of changing desktop environments if that so suits. But frankly it is quite arrogant to demand changes to suit a GUI that as far as can be seen has no released code nor a working prototype.
I suggested that button size maybe an issue to those that have spent their working lives using their hands. Some of the smart phones around seem to ignore this as well although they can be a great tool on site to relay information to a supplier, fabricator or boss.

I'm not harassing you, I just seem to disagree with many of your thoughts and ideas.

And being an Aussie there's many words in everyday usage here (Australia) that those not from here blush at.

I prefer the word Mongrel, it's more descriptive of my heritage.

More
29 Jun 2018 04:50 - 29 Jun 2018 05:21 #113054 by BrendaEM
Ozzyrob, yes I did follow all those links.
The Test2 example has likely needless PWM code in it, in what looks like the spindle section, which makes me trust it less as an example to learn from.
"setp pwmgen.0.pwm-freq 100.0"

Additionally, I am still not seeing much of these option in the .hal examples. Some of them concern speed.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/hy_vfd.1.html

I've found the hy driver source, but I tend to learn better by examples; that's why I asked for them.

I do not understand how LinuxCNC knows what speed ranges are valid for the spindle from the .hal code presented.
Can the hy vfd driver actually read speed ranges from the VFD. Is the system that sophisticated.

Do you even know?
Last edit: 29 Jun 2018 05:21 by BrendaEM.

More
29 Jun 2018 05:33 #113055 by curtisa

I do not understand how LinuxCNC knows what speed ranges are valid for the spindle from the .hal code presented.
Can the hy vfd driver actually read speed ranges from the VFD. Is the system that sophisticated.

The HAL driver doesn't need to know the maximum and minimum speed limits of the VFD, although it looks like it can be read back via '.max−freq' and '.freq−lower−limit'. I've personally never used it though.

The max and min speeds are set in the VFD itself (PD005 and PD011 respectively), so as long as they're set correctly there's nothing the HAL driver can do to put the spindle in any danger of failure by over/under-speed.

FWIW I can post my .ini and .hal files if you like? They're nothing more than the examples provided in the Marco Reps Youtube video that gets linked to frequently. I don't recall doing anything additional to what he did in order to get it to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrendaEM

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds