usb485 to huanyang vfd

More
16 May 2020 20:03 #167998 by tjones
Replied by tjones on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd
This was a 1.5Kw 24,000prm water cooled spindle and VFD package. The VFD and spindle are both 110V. At the time I was renting a place in California that didn't have an 220V plugs (including in the laundry room) so I didn't have much choice but to get this one. The VFD is rated at 7.0A output which is what the motor is. Since this is the 110V version the input power settings don't do anything. I have used this spindle and VFD for the past two years with just a single output to a relay tied between DCM and FOR and I used the face plate potentiometer to adjust the speed.

I ran the spindle in the pattern above. I kept the water cooling off and I didn't notice a heat different in the motor. This was only going around 2100rpm because it won't go much faster at the moment.

Below are my current parameters.

PD001 - 0
PD002 - 1
PD003 - 0 (I have tried this at 400Hz and it does nothing)
PD004 - 400Hz
PD005 - 400Hz
PD072 - 400Hz (Not using this mode, but thought I would try 400Hz)
PD141 - 110V (This doesn't make any difference since I have the 110V version of the VFD)
PD142 - 7.0A
PD143 - 2 poles
PD144 - 3000 (RPM @ 50Hz)

When using the RS485 connection (Not set right now because I am testing with the faceplate controls)
PD163 - 1
PD164 - 2
PD165 - 3

PD172 - I have tried clearing the faults using 01
PD173 - 110V
PD174 - 13.0A (this is the spec for max amperage it will pull from the wall)
PD176 - 1 (60Hz)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2020 21:21 #168005 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd

I ran the spindle in the pattern above. I kept the water cooling off and I didn't notice a heat different in the motor. This was only going around 2100rpm because it won't go much faster at the moment.

That is good, but now leaves me with no more ideas about what could be wrong, besides the VFD.

More
18 May 2020 18:55 #168178 by tjones
Ok so I got everything working and with full 24,000rpms. With the current VFD and Motor. I was actually looking at ebay for another VFD and came across a parameter list. Apparently PD013 needs to be set to 01. It locks the parameters and I suspect does almost a "save" to the VFD. After that it spun up to 12,000rpm so I just needed to set the poles and 50Hz frequency right and I had all 24,000rpm. I have never had to touch that in the past few VFD's I have set up, but just happy I don't have to buy a new VFD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Jan 2022 01:35 - 06 Jan 2022 01:39 #230918 by tjones
I have successfully been using the RS485 connection with LinuxCNC for over a year now and other then having to replace a USB converter once or twice (My fault in breaking them) I haven't had an issues. However the weather took a turn this last week and got into the single digits (F) and the VFD wouldn't turn the spindle.  Used it just fine one night and the next it won't start up. I checked the USB connection and verified the port again and no issues there.  As well as switched out the Converter USB several times.  If I have the USB unplugged I can't load into my config and when it is installed I can. I have gone through and reconfigured my VFD and have been able to get it to spin again.  However it will only spin up to 1,500rpm and changing the poles and drive rpm at 50Hz doesn't actually change the speed.  I will try the external communication once I have full rpm ability again.  Oddly enough I have a second setup in the garage (CNC not yet fully built, but the VFD and spindle are functional) and I configured that one as well and I get exactly the same result. So either there is something that prevents the drive from going more then 25Hz when it is cold (It has now warmed up to the low 30F now) or there is a setting I am missing.  I have attached my compiled note sheet and the drive manual.  Note that PD001 and PD002 are set to Operator Communication and PD163-165 are defaults. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jan 2022 01:39 by tjones.

More
07 Jan 2022 19:45 #231048 by tjones
PD070 - 01 (needed to be set to 0-5v
PD072 - 400Hz (Higher Analog Frequency)

For manual mode, using the start/stop on the key pad and using the rotary dial changing those two settings gave me full control again. I still have yet to change the communication control back over to Modbus, but at least I can start running stuff again.

More
08 Jan 2022 19:19 - 08 Jan 2022 19:20 #231154 by tjones
I have manual control of the entire spindle range (using face plate start/stop and rotary dial). I started to diagnose the RS485 connection issue.

I start by running:
halrun
halcmd (Pasted my loadusr line from custom.hal)
halcmd show pin

The output of this I have in an attached file. It worked so I open LinuxCNC again and ran a M3 S20000 command in MDI. And the result of that is the second file attached. It looks like everything is working as expected. However the spindle has not turned on.

I went back through linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man1/hy_vfd.1.html
and I can't find anything wrong with how my custom.hal is configured or any parameters that aren't set in the VFD according the to it either.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2022 19:20 by tjones.

More
25 Jan 2022 18:22 #233086 by Andreas_Rackow
FALSE spindle-vfd.hycomm-ok
this line should show true.
its indicting that linuxcnc is NOT communicating with the fvd.
You can also run linuxcnc and check your Hal configuration.
look for 2 pins, one is to find under parameter,spindel-vhd and is named spindel-vfd.error-count.it should be 0.
the other one is under pins,spindle-vfd.hycomm-ok and should be true.

those 2 give you an idea iinuxcnc and the vfd are talking with each other.

also another hind would be to give your usb device a fixed name.
at least i solved my problem this way

More
11 Oct 2022 03:59 #253928 by tjones
I have changed out multiple USB->RS485 sticks. I have been verifying they actually show up in the USB list with ls /dev/tty* I have been getting USB0 every time. Once I verify the USB address I will do the following:

halrun
*paste* the Loadusr line.
show pin

Each time I try a new USB stick it still shows that spinde-vfd.hycoom-ok is FALSE. I have triple check all the settings in the VFD for external control, communication type, baud rate, etc. I still keep getting false back. Any ideas on what to check next?

More
12 Oct 2022 18:52 #254028 by tjones
Got in running. I had parameter lock on, as soon as I turned that off I could see that the spindle-enable was working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds