Servo Spindle motor encoder Mesa 7i76e

More
02 Mar 2020 20:12 #159018 by tommylight
Timing belts.
I would not try tapping with a V belt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2020 15:39 #159197 by andypugh

There is a difference in the poly v belt wheels. A deviation of 5%

That will do it. Successive index pulses will have a different relationship to the spindle position, so multi-pass threading can't work.

You could probably make it work by:
1) Adjust the scaling to be as close as possible, over 30 turns of thread the error is likely to be small.
2) Use a separate index that is not related to the encoder but is from a sensor on the spindle. A hole drilled in the main spindle drive pulley, as an example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erikcnc

More
14 Mar 2020 15:34 #160183 by Erikcnc

There is a difference in the poly v belt wheels. A deviation of 5%

That will do it. Successive index pulses will have a different relationship to the spindle position, so multi-pass threading can't work.

You could probably make it work by:
1) Adjust the scaling to be as close as possible, over 30 turns of thread the error is likely to be small.
2) Use a separate index that is not related to the encoder but is from a sensor on the spindle. A hole drilled in the main spindle drive pulley, as an example.

Would a quadrature encoder work? i can do it originally with a second timing belt on the main spindle to a holder with an encoder.
Also the encoder has to handle 6500 rpm. so what type do i need?

More
14 Mar 2020 15:52 #160184 by blazini36

Timing belts.

Works quite well actually as long as it doesn't slip. I run 2:1 for tapping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Mar 2020 16:08 #160189 by tommylight

Timing belts.

Yup, exactly, but i use some expensive taps and it hurts a lot when they do brake.
Anyway, for now i have no machine that i can tap with, so a cordless drill (or 8 of them) does the job, with the occasional blackout when they do brake. :)

More
14 Mar 2020 16:29 - 14 Mar 2020 16:37 #160194 by blazini36

Timing belts.

Yup, exactly, but i use some expensive taps and it hurts a lot when they do brake.
Anyway, for now i have no machine that i can tap with, so a cordless drill (or 8 of them) does the job, with the occasional blackout when they do brake. :)

Cordless drill is tough to keep straight, which leads to more broken taps than a properly setup mill would even with a "V" belt.

If we're talking about a typical oldschool V belt, well they aren't much good for anything IMO. A tiny microV works way better than you would probably think. I've never actually slipped this belt, I've crashed the spindle hard enough to have the pulley yank off the spindle shaft, but that would happen with a Vbelt just the same. This is just a 10-32 @300rpms but I've done upto 5/16". Never tested larger on this setup, not sure what 1hp @ 2:1 can handle.

Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 16:37 by blazini36.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Mar 2020 20:20 #160210 by tommylight
Subscribed !
Nice. Thank you.

More
19 Mar 2020 13:10 - 22 Mar 2020 12:22 #160743 by Erikcnc

Timing belts.

Cordless drill is tough to keep straight, which leads to more broken taps than a properly setup mill would even with a "V" belt.

If we're talking about a typical oldschool V belt, well they aren't much good for anything IMO. A tiny microV works way better than you would probably think. I've never actually slipped this belt, I've crashed the spindle hard enough to have the pulley yank off the spindle shaft, but that would happen with a Vbelt just the same. This is just a 10-32 @300rpms but I've done upto 5/16". Never tested larger on this setup, not sure what 1hp @ 2:1 can handle.

impressive!

So could you explain how its setup in linux?
and what are u using from the servo driver outputs and what not?
The sensor next to the spindle what type of proximity switch is it?
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 12:22 by Erikcnc.

More
20 Mar 2020 18:33 #160920 by andypugh

[

If you provide a sort-of tunnel round the back of the ball-nut mount you can have a sheet metal cover for the ballscrew slot.
"tunnel" piece
photos.app.goo.gl/o18GwVWe4rti654Q9
Then cover strip in place:
photos.app.goo.gl/3irQBj1pRtioLbor9
And in-situ on the column.
photos.app.goo.gl/ctRiwQ5ArB8ZugM16

(Not my idea, I stole it from the compound of my dad's Smart and Brown Model M)

More
22 Mar 2020 13:40 - 22 Mar 2020 13:44 #161102 by Erikcnc
Im thinking of using this encoder and connect it through a small timing belt to the spindle and not using the encoder of the motor anymore.
any thoughts?

Yumo COM-11102 Encoder 1024 P/R
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 13:44 by Erikcnc.

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds