Help setting up vfdmod to control Omron MX2 VFD using RS485 usb dongle

More
03 Sep 2023 00:15 - 05 Sep 2023 01:01 #279685 by Markgonz
Hey friends,
I am a total noob at electronics and I spent many weeks reading and trying to understand about linuxcnc.
My DIY mill frame is ready and I have managed to wire the servos to the mesa card and make them move in linuxcnc so that was a small victory.

I have been trying for a while to set up my Spindle to work with Linuxcnc, the VFD is set up and is ready to take RS485 communication.
My setup consists on a intel mini pc, Mesa 7i96s, for ease of wiring I decided to give USB RS485 a try.

I came across the user space vfdmod ( github.com/aekhv/vfdmod/wiki#User-parameter-group ) and seems the easiest to understand, however I can't figure out to make it work yet.
The values for the control of the address, spindle forward, etc I understand I would need to read the VFD manual to put the correct numbers but I haven't been able to find them so I did copy the values from someone else config I saw
I have attached my vfdmod config file if someone can take a look.
At this point I am considering simply turning the spindle on from the VFD manually each time I want to use the mill, since spending too much time trying to make it work from linuxcnc is going to make me go insane LOL

The manual of my VFD is this one: assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/v3/i..._users_manual_en.pdf page 322 I think is were modbus info is.

I also found this video where this guy uses vfdmod to set up his lathe but some steps are missing and he somehow has a list of the values needed for his VFD, anyway the video is helpful to get an idea of what the process looks like.

Thanks a lot in advance.

File Attachment:

File Name: my-config-file.ini
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2023 01:01 by Markgonz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2023 00:58 #279902 by Markgonz
Well today I spent a couple of hours reading documentation, searching forum posts etc..
I did add permision to user to the device /dev/ttyUSB0 to the dialout group, I guess I need to figure out to how to check my modbus communication and learn how HAL works to set pins and then maybe I can get this to work.

Also saw that there is a Hitachi driver wj200 present in linuxcnc and is the same for OMRON MX2, however I made another configuration to try it using pncconfig but also didn't work, gives me a libmodbus error that maybe there is no communication.

So I don't know if keep trying vfdmod or try the wj200 driver, but for a beginner as me seems that you need to have a degree in automation or robotics of some sort to understand some of the concepts in the documentation, I am doing my best but the learning curve seems insane to me right now..All I want is to turn the spindle on with a command at a desired speed.

I also tried the analog method 0-10v from the mesa card but the manual for the Omron MX2 didnt make any sense to me to try this way.

In the new Marco reps video he is using the wj200 driver, but I am not sure he uses a rs485, here is his custom hal:

Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2023 07:27 #279930 by MaHa
Omron MX2 and Hitachi WJ200 seem to be identical. Thats from the 0-10V wiring to 7i76e. I found also the setup sheet from Sorotec. I think, i had to increase 'F003' Deceleration time to avoid error when stop from max. rpm, which must be reset on the vfd. This setup running for years, only this info is left.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markgonz

More
05 Sep 2023 16:58 #280007 by Markgonz

Omron MX2 and Hitachi WJ200 seem to be identical. Thats from the 0-10V wiring to 7i76e. I found also the setup sheet from Sorotec. I think, i had to increase 'F003' Deceleration time to avoid error when stop from max. rpm, which must be reset on the vfd. This setup running for years, only this info is left. 

Thank you, I wil look into it

More
07 Sep 2023 22:49 #280238 by Markgonz
In the end I give up trying to use Modbus, seems way too hard for my skill level and will go back to attempt 0-10v, I have read that is also more reliable so that's cool.
I will open a thread for it so people can find the info easier

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds