Modbus TCP/IP..... is it working ?

More
16 Mar 2010 17:20 #2322 by bigalex
Hi gents.... first of all sorry for my english writing , I'm Italian ... :(
I'm a newbe on EMC (but i'm watching this forum during the last two month) and I wish to use Classic Ladder and Modbus TCP/IP.
Maybe I'm wrong but after the reading of the integrator manual I understood that the Modbus Master TCP/IP is not tested yet.
So please can anybody give me information about that ?
I would like to extend the I/O of the system for test it in an industrial enviroment (so 24vdc I/O).
Thanks a lot for any advice.

bigalex :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2010 00:31 #2330 by cmorley
Modbus TCP/IP has not been tested in EMC. It has been tested in the parent classicladder by the author Marc.
I toyed with trying to get it to work but have little idea how TCP works.
I could not get the master and slave to connect - though the slave program I was using may have been the trouble as well.
You could try downloading the original classicladder, get modbus to work then apply that knowledge to EMC classicladder.
If I can get specific directions about how to setup a TCP connection. I would try again.

More
17 Mar 2010 08:04 - 17 Mar 2010 08:08 #2333 by bigalex
Hello cmorley thanks for the reply..
I'm not familiar with Linux/Ubuntu.
This is my first experience with that so I think I will have problems installing/managing software packages under Linux/Ubuntu.
I have already hardware devices available to test the Modbus TCP/IP (remote I/O or PLC as well) and maybe a soft modbus slave simulator.
The configuration I'm thinking about is that EMC is the master and the external Modbus nodes are slaves.
I have already used Modbus TCP/IP in PLC's applications and usually you have to declare (inside the master config) for the slaves configuration
the IP address and the slave number .
What I've seen on the integrator manual is not so clear for me (sorry).
I have already activated the Classic Ladder inside EMC and is working (just test some logic combination), unluckily the instruction set is poor but this is
another story.
If you can give me more information on how to download and install the original Classic Ladder I will try to do something more on Modbus TCP/IP.
Do you think that Marc can be collaborative on this ?
Thanks ...... I wait for news.

bigalex :S
Last edit: 17 Mar 2010 08:08 by bigalex.

More
17 Mar 2010 14:58 #2340 by bigalex
Hi to everybody ....
Today I tried a test for ClassicLadder and Modbus TCP/IP with a small I/O device (Zelio Logic by Schneider Electric) and it's working fine.
This device can exchange up to 4 words as Input and 4 words as Output and can also manage logic program itself.
The communication is over Ethernet (TCP/IP) so the speed is nice at 100MB.
With this configuration will be possible smoothly to extend the I/O of the system.
I read that many users need I/Os on their system and sometime they need to use more than a parallel port into the PC.
In this case using the ClassicLadder and the Modbus TCP/IP is possible to extend the I/Os also in an industrial enviroment where usually the
voltage for the sensors (limit switches and so on) and for the actuators (solenoids, relays and so on) is 24vdc or higher and the interfaces must be optocoupled.

bigalex :blink:

More
18 Mar 2010 12:26 #2351 by BigJohnT
Did you run Classicladder by itself or inside of EMC?

I would be interested in any info on how it works with EMC to add to the EMC Integrators Manual.

Thanks
John

More
18 Mar 2010 13:47 #2355 by bigalex
Hello John nice to read you.
I'm using ClassicLadder running with EMC2 .
Today I'm running the test again , the Modbus TCP/IP communication is working fine till now (I started 6 hours ago) and no problems at all.
I made a test performing estop request from the modbus slave passing trough ClassingLadder and Hal (Halui was activated) and the test is positive.
I used the Modbus functions 03 (Read holding registers),06 and 16 (Write holding registers) .
I do not know what is the latency on the communication but seems to be fast anyway and sure it is better than the serial line.
I will try to make a remote pendant to command the axis movement and auxiliary functions using a Modbus TCP/IP node for the I/Os and maybe for the handwheel (using a fast encoder counter 24vdc on the modbus node).
As soon as possible I will give more informations about but just in case ypu need a specific information please do not esitate to make questions.
As I told in this thread I'm a newbe on Linux and EMC2 so I hope to increase my personal skills on that and expanding the knowledge.
John the manual that you made are really precious

More
20 Mar 2010 15:21 #2387 by bigalex
Hello gents.....
Today I tried to use Modbus TCP/IP communication with two different slaves and it works fine. :woohoo:
The next week I will try to implement a remote jog pendant via Modbus TCP/IP communication.
I will inform you about it (if anybody is interested).

More
20 Mar 2010 15:46 #2388 by cmorley
Yes i am interested. In fact I would like to know exactly how you set this up.

More
20 Mar 2010 16:20 #2389 by bigalex
Hello Chris....
The next week I would like to make some pictures showing the set-up of the parameters inside the ClassicLadder config page related to the Modbus Communication.
My opinion is that ClassicLadder and Modbus TCP/IP communication is a versatile way to extend the phisical I/Os of the system/machine into an industrial enviroment .
I would like to use ClassicLadder also to interface cnc g-code (using M1xx and bash file) with it to perform action/sequences and whatever needed by the system/machine.
Keep in touch.....

More
29 Mar 2010 16:21 - 29 Mar 2010 16:23 #2470 by bigalex
Hello everybody....
today I tested the implementation of a remote jog pendant via Modbus/TCPIP communication and ClassicLadder.
Well .... it's working . :woohoo:
I made a jog command for the four axis of my test configuration (each axis has two separate pushbutton for the jog movements).
I also made the implementation of an handwheel using an Highspeed counter built into one of the slaves I'm connected with.
All the pushbuttons for the jog movements are connected to the slave I/Os included a remote emergency pushbutton .
I used Modbus/TCPIP to connect EMC (ClassicLadder) and a small slave plc with 24 I/Os built in.
With ClassicLadder I've connected the bits and the counting register value to the custom postgui hal file.
Inside the custom postgui hal file I made the logical connections to the halui pins and to the motion controller pins to perform the functionality needed.
Soon I would like to show to you (with pictures or a small video - I've not a good camera yet) how the system works.

Last edit: 29 Mar 2010 16:23 by bigalex.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds