gangtool setup / backtools

More
05 Oct 2012 11:29 #24974 by gmouer
Yes John, I read further on g10 coordinate system rotation and it does sound like that would work nicely for lathes with front/rear tooling. I also found that the G68/G69 is normally just a toggles the rotation on and off as needed for front/rear tools. Going to have to give this a dry run on the lathe today and see how it behaves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2012 11:32 #24975 by andypugh
gmouer wrote:

Yes John, I read further on g10 coordinate system rotation and it does sound like that would work nicely for lathes with front/rear tooling.

I would be interested to see how it goes. if it works then it is a simple G-code remap (as described in that link I posted earlier).
One good thing about G68/69 is that if you prefer not to use it, then you can use negative X diameters still.

More
05 Oct 2012 11:43 #24976 by gmouer
I don't think it is a g code remap situation. The G10 would be used to set the rotation (180 deg in this case), the G68/G69 would have to be setup to merely toggle that predefined rotation on and off. So, G68/69 would have to be added.

I believe that the commercial controllers for front/rear turrets have the 180 degree rotation done in a init string or similar considering the value would always be 180 degrees. No need for a operator to set this every time, he just selects front or rear tooling by putting a G68 or G69 along with his toolchange.

This is looking pretty good. After evaluation, it would be good to document it in the lathe docs.

More
05 Oct 2012 12:12 #24977 by andypugh
gmouer wrote:

I don't think it is a g code remap situation. The G10 would be used to set the rotation (180 deg in this case), the G68/G69 would have to be setup to merely toggle that predefined rotation on and off.

Why not remap G69 to issue G10 L2 R180 and G68 to issue G10 L2 R0?

Anyway, I am not at all sure that this is going to work. Someone with a lathe config in front of them needs to experiment before we go too far down this route.

More
05 Oct 2012 12:18 #24978 by BigJohnT
andypugh wrote:

Why not remap G69 to issue G10 L2 R180 and G68 to issue G10 L2 R0?

Same thing I just suggested on the IRC...

John

More
05 Oct 2012 12:19 #24979 by gmouer
I am going to play with this today on my machine. (gang tooled lathe) Linuxcnc is new to me and I may not be the best to evaluate this completely but I can certainly check the basic functionality out.

More
05 Oct 2012 12:20 #24980 by BigJohnT
The simple thing to do is to use G10 to check it out...

John

More
05 Oct 2012 12:30 - 05 Oct 2012 12:31 #24982 by gmouer
Thanks, BigJohnT

WIsh you had some of those suggestions earlier in this thread. Using axis coordinate system rotation for handling front/rear lathe tools was never suggested. Once known, using remap and the command formats are pretty obvious. I try not to ask things with obvious answers that can be found with a bit of research.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2012 12:31 by gmouer.

More
05 Oct 2012 12:32 #24983 by andypugh
gmouer wrote:

WIsh you had some of those suggestions earlier in this thread

I wish it had occurred to me.
I only ever thought of it as useful for skewed work in a mill.

More
05 Oct 2012 12:36 #24984 by gmouer
andypugh wrote:

gmouer wrote:

WIsh you had some of those suggestions earlier in this thread

I wish it had occurred to me.
I only ever thought of it as useful for skewed work in a mill.

You have been extremely helpfull Andy. It looks like rotation was implemented mostly with milling in mind. Searching the web is where I found coordinate system rotation referenced to lathe front/rear tools. My friend told me about using G68 and G69 on several lathes he operated.

Its been a valuable learning experience. This question won't stump us next time ! LOL

I will report back later on how it works.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds