Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

More
28 May 2014 23:15 #47464 by andypugh

The seller told me that when the cnc lathe is controlled by a microcomputer, it cannot control the turret.
To fly the turret, he need a controller BBF or GSK, Siemens etc..
What do you think?

I think he is talking through his hat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2014 23:44 #47467 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

Is a rather nice example of linuxcnc controlling a turret as well...

More
30 May 2014 01:39 #47526 by micoudic
A large Thank you for this information.
I guess that windows software is MACH3. If MACH3 works on this lathe, LinuxCNC can replace MACH3?
Thanks.

More
30 May 2014 01:48 #47527 by andypugh

If MACH3 works on this lathe, LinuxCNC can replace MACH3?

Almost certainly. The only situation where it wouldn't be able to would be if there is a USB-based motion controller board built in to the lathe and a special Mach3 driver. I think this is very unlikely.

More
30 May 2014 13:19 #47539 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

A large Thank you for this information.
I guess that windows software is MACH3.

Could be dangerous to guess, that is why I said to contact them.

Mach is well known enough that I think they would have said so if it was.
This could be some kind of windoze based proprietary system, or a chinese mach rip off.
You need to find out.

regards

More
30 May 2014 14:20 #47541 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

The seller told me that when the cnc lathe is controlled by a microcomputer, it cannot control the turret.
To fly the turret, he need a controller BBF or GSK, Siemens etc..
What do you think?

Mine is fully controlled by linuxcnc, so what the guy told you is not true.
In fact before I make a few with the turret controlled by Mach3 also.

More
30 May 2014 16:56 #47543 by andypugh

Could be dangerous to guess, that is why I said to contact them.

Good point, the Axminster site with a very similar lathe says that it has an "operating system" build in, and that it can be connected by ethernet to any windows computer.

More
01 Jun 2014 14:27 - 01 Jun 2014 14:32 #47588 by micoudic
Thanks for the infos. Nice videos :)
Here are more of my research:
I have find a tower with the following characteristics:

But the connection is made via ethernet. Well, I saw the message from andypugh. Effectively; Axminster sells a fully equipped machine. It works with the SIEGI controller. This controller / software is in English only (or Chinese).... My problem is that I do not understand English. I do not want to take risks, with a bad interpretation/translation. For this reason, I would like to work with Linuxcnc. It will be already quite complicated to set up.

I spent lots of time searching if Linuxcnc can work with an ethernet link. I found that Yes, it can. But how Linuxcnc works with an ethernet link? There, it's complicated for me.
I have seen the need to buy and install specific components, load software/drivers. It seems that there are a host of solutions. I am a little lost in all of this information.
Is someone using this type of machine with LinuxCNC and an ethernet link?

original in French ;)
Merci pour les infos. Sympathiques, les vidéos :)
Voici la suite des mes recherches:
J'ai trouve un tour avec les caractéristiques suivantes :

Mais la connexion se fait par ethernet. J'ai bien vu le message de andypugh. Effectivement; axminster vend une machine toute équipée. Elle fonctionne avec le controleur SIEG. Ce controleur / logiciel est en Anglais seulement (ou en Chinois...). Mon problème est que je ne comprends pas l'Anglais. Je ne veux pas prendre de risques, à cause d'une mauvaise interpretation/traduction. C'est pour cette raison que je voudrais travailler avec Linuxcnc. Ce sera déjà assez compliqué à paramètrer.

J'ai passé beaucoup de temps à rechercher si Linuxcnc peut travailler avec une liaison ethernet. J'ai trouvé que OUI, il peut. Mais comment Linuxcnc travaille avec une liaison ethernet? Là, c'est compliqué pour moi.
J'ai vu qu'il faut acheter et monter des composants spécifiques, charger des logiciels/pilotes. Il semble qu'il existe une foule de solutions. Je suis un peu perdu dans toutes ces informations.
Est-ce que quelqu'un utilise ce type de machine avec LinuxCNC et une liaison ethernet ?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2014 14:32 by micoudic.

More
01 Jun 2014 16:31 #47592 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

This controller / software is in English only (or Chinese).... My problem is that I do not understand English. I do not want to take risks, with a bad interpretation/translation. For this reason, I would like to work with Linuxcnc.

OK, I had not realised that the overriding criterea was support and documents in French, not any technical superiority.

I spent lots of time searching if Linuxcnc can work with an ethernet link. I found that Yes, it can. But how Linuxcnc works with an ethernet link? There, it's complicated for me.

There is no readily available ethernet connection component for Linuxcnc and no guarantee whatsoever that the SEIG system complies to any ethernet standards anyway,
since it is only being used locally with their own software

The easiest thing In that case, is just find a machine that does what you want and works with Mach and does not use a usb stepper board

It will be trivial(ish) to convert the config for Linuxcnc and it will already have all the controllers and connections you need to just plug into a computer.

regards

More
02 Jun 2014 02:00 - 02 Jun 2014 02:16 #47609 by micoudic
Hi,
Too bad, I liked it this turn. I found lathes work with MAC3, but the engine is only 500W (stepper motor). Do you think it is possible to make threads in steel / stainless steel with MACH3 and the engine type (I do not want the thread 14x200 :), but maybe 0.5 / 1mm, diameter maxi = 30mm)
Best regards.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 02:16 by micoudic.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds