Micro cnc lathe and LinuxCNC

More
02 Jun 2014 02:58 #47610 by andypugh

Hi,
Too bad, I liked it this turn.

It does seem to have some nice features.

I found lathes work with MAC3, but the engine is only 500W (stepper motor). Do you think it is possible to make threads in steel / stainless steel with MACH3 and the engine type (I do not want the thread 14x200 :), but maybe 0.5 / 1mm, diameter maxi = 30mm)

Mach3 is not very good at threading, especially with a low power spindle.
The suggestion was to buy a lathe that is advertised as Mach3-compatible, and then to use LinuxCNC instead.

But I wouldn't necessarily give up on the first lathe yet. This looks like the same one, supplied for use with Mach3 and a parallel port connection:
www.siegind.com/products_detail/&product...5c-1f7b04614202.html

Unless you need the slant-bed IKC4
www.siegind.com/products_detail/&product...a4-4fd084bc62c4.html
The Sieg web site does not mention a Mach3/Parallel port version of that one, but Alibaba does:
dlmach.en.alibaba.com/product/1217326196..._SIEG_CNC_Lathe.html

The Tormach lathe will be supplied running LinuxCNC from the factory (or so I have been led to believe), but it isn't available yet. (note that the $2000 price is a deposit for a pre-order. I suspect that $10,000 is outside your price range?)
www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom...ow&ref=15L-SLANT-PRO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2014 16:16 - 02 Jun 2014 16:18 #47617 by micoudic

Hi,
Too bad, I liked it this turn.

It does seem to have some nice features.

I found lathes work with MAC3, but the engine is only 500W (stepper motor). Do you think it is possible to make threads in steel / stainless steel with MACH3 and the engine type (I do not want the thread 14x200 :), but maybe 0.5 / 1mm, diameter maxi = 30mm)

Mach3 is not very good at threading, especially with a low power spindle.
The suggestion was to buy a lathe that is advertised as Mach3-compatible, and then to use LinuxCNC instead.

That is my intention. It remains to find the tower which has a fairly powerful engine and a system of automatic tool change and parallel port.

But I wouldn't necessarily give up on the first lathe yet. This looks like the same one, supplied for use with Mach3 and a parallel port connection:
www.siegind.com/products_detail/&product...5c-1f7b04614202.html

There is a stepping motor 500W

Unless you need the slant-bed IKC4
www.siegind.com/products_detail/&product...a4-4fd084bc62c4.html
The Sieg web site does not mention a Mach3/Parallel port version of that one, but Alibaba does:
dlmach.en.alibaba.com/product/1217326196..._SIEG_CNC_Lathe.html

Yes, this is the Sieg ikc4. They offer MACH3. But the engine is only 500W, and voltage is 380V. In French is 220V. Many lathes are proposed with stepper motors 500W. Is this powerful enough to thread into steel?

The Tormach lathe will be supplied running LinuxCNC from the factory (or so I have been led to believe), but it isn't available yet. (note that the $2000 price is a deposit for a pre-order. I suspect that $10,000 is outside your price range?)
www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom...ow&ref=15L-SLANT-PRO

Sold only in the USA and Canada. For import into France, must also machine has CE certification. This complicates the choice. My buget is about $ 3,000, without shipping and import.
Best regards.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 16:18 by micoudic.

More
02 Jun 2014 16:17 #47618 by micoudic
latest news and... Big surprise!

I warned my seller's of difficulties to operate linxCNC with an ethernet link, without adding one or more components in the PC.
He answers that just install LinuxCNC on the PC, nothing else...

I also asked my seller link for the web site of his company. It gives me this link (alibaba)
www.Alibaba.com/product-detail/high-prec...-cnc_1895983864.html

And in the description, I see it appropriate that their machine is supplied with LinuxCNC!

Have a "trick"?

More
02 Jun 2014 16:29 #47619 by andypugh

I also asked my seller link for the web site of his company. It gives me this link (alibaba)
www.Alibaba.com/product-detail/high-prec...-cnc_1895983864.html
And in the description, I see it appropriate that their machine is supplied with LinuxCNC!
Have a "trick"?

That looks like good news :-)

Be aware that any lathe bought from China is likely to benefit from being taken apart, cleaned, lubricated and re-assembled carefully.
I actually quite like the look of that lathe, though I would prefer to see one with my own eyes before buying it. My only reservation is that the tailstock doesn't look very stiff. But on a small CNC lathe having a tailstock at all is somethign of a bonus.

I have bought quite a lot of things from China, and they have always arrived. If they say it works with LinuxCNC then even if it isn't quite right there should be no problems making it work.

More
02 Jun 2014 17:58 - 02 Jun 2014 17:59 #47621 by micoudic
I'm puzzled: in LinuxCNC, I found nothing to set up an ethernet link. And my research all the WE, I found only solutions requiring the addition of drivers and additional cards. In bulk: xenomail, MESA, SmoothStepper card. I am lost in all this.

I asked for more explanations to my seller. He tested this lathe? He tested the tool turret?

Rgards.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 17:59 by micoudic.

More
02 Jun 2014 21:57 #47630 by andypugh

I'm puzzled: in LinuxCNC, I found nothing to set up an ethernet link.

It seems very likely that the LinuxCNC variant runs with a parallel port connection. Anything that LinuxCNC can output to a parallel port can also be output to other hardware, if you need more IO for example.

I would certainly want to be very sure that the LinuxCNC version definitely has the tool changer. Maybe a trip to Qindao is needed? It's actually quite a nice place.

More
03 Jun 2014 01:37 - 03 Jun 2014 01:39 #47638 by micoudic

It seems very likely that the LinuxCNC variant runs with a parallel port connection. Anything that LinuxCNC can output to a parallel port can also be output to other hardware, if you need more IO for example.

Without additional card or adapter?

I would certainly want to be very sure that the LinuxCNC version definitely has the tool changer.

The messages of PCW and emcPT indicate that this is possible with LinuxCNC (see their videos)

Maybe a trip to Qindao is needed? It's actually quite a nice place.

Yes, it is worth. I thought about this possibility.

Nobody can tell me if a stepper motor 500W enables threads in steel?
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 01:39 by micoudic.

More
03 Jun 2014 02:49 #47640 by andypugh

Without additional card or adapter?

What I mean is that you would have the option of using a parallel port, or of wiring an alternative interface (such as a Mesa card or Pico board) into the same connector on the lathe.

I would certainly want to be very sure that the LinuxCNC version definitely has the tool changer.

The messages of PCW and emcPT indicate that this is possible with LinuxCNC (see their videos)

Yes, it is absolutely possible to control a tool turret with LinuxCNC. And the Alibaba page shows a tool turret, and 8 tools, and the word "LInuxCNC" all on the same page. But I would want to check that they really mean that.

Nobody can tell me if a stepper motor 500W enables threads in steel?

It isn't a stepper motor, as far as I can see, on the smaller motors. It is a 500W "Main Motor". 3/4 hp was the standard size on all sorts of small lathes in the past. You definitely can cut threads with that amount of power, if the gearing is right. But I would be looking at the 1000W slant-bed variant if I was shopping.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds