SouthBend magnaturn 612 Conversion to Linuxcnc

More
02 May 2016 12:08 #74135 by andypugh

I originally used PncConf to generate my hal and ini files.
I was wondering why it configured my ctrl_type as velocity since position is what is typical.

It has been found that better results can be obtained by using velocity-mode stepgens controlled by PID components for the axes. It makes the system a lot more robust against servo-thread jitter.

This is probably an unnecessary complication for a toolchanger, so I would set the toolchanger to position mode, but leave the axes in velocity mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: twender

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 12:11 #74136 by twender
Perfect. Thanks. I will give it a try tonight. I really appreciate your help.

More
04 May 2016 16:53 #74236 by twender
Got the turret mostly working. Thanks for confirmation and pointing me in the correct direction. Ends up I had wrong "N" number for my axis.N. pins in addition to my other issues. A little reading goes a long way. :)

I still need to control the solenoid that locks the turret in the desired position. I was thinking about modifying the toolchanger.comp file to turn on an output just before indexing and turn it off just after completing the motion. Does this sound reasonable? I was thinking about trying to use one of the gpio outputs on the Mesa card.

Can you reference me to some info that would be of some use if you are aware of any.

Thank you

More
04 May 2016 17:04 #74237 by andypugh

I still need to control the solenoid that locks the turret in the desired position. I was thinking about modifying the toolchanger.comp file to turn on an output just before indexing and turn it off just after completing the motion. Does this sound reasonable? I was thinking about trying to use one of the gpio outputs on the Mesa card.

That sounds like the best solution to me, and should be quite a simple modification.
You would need to add an output pin to the toolchanger comp and then net that to a GPIO. You would probably want to operate a relay rather than the solenoid directly, though some Mesa cards are perfectly capable of driving solenoids, so you probably want to check the manual.

More
13 May 2016 22:56 #74628 by twender
I have everything working. I added an output bit to the toolchanger.comp to control the solenoid locking my indexer. The Magnaturn 612 is 22.5 degrees between positions with no requirement to back up, so I changed the file accordingly to match my machine. Thanks again!

I would like to add a 250ms delay to ensure the lock is disengaged. Is there a time delay function that can be called or do you just have to create a loop that is machine specific?

More
13 May 2016 23:19 #74630 by andypugh

I would like to add a 250ms delay to ensure the lock is disengaged. Is there a time delay function that can be called or do you just have to create a loop that is machine specific?

There is a timedelay HAL function, but that is probably not helpful.

Typically in a comp you add a wait-state to the state machine. comp provides a handy variable called fperiod,
case 20: 
timeout = 0.250;
return_state = 21;
state = 2000;
break;
case 2000: // wait state
if (timeout -= fperiod < 0) state = return_state;
break;

More
14 May 2016 23:39 #74664 by twender
Worked perfectly! Thanks again.
After working through my configuration, I see a lot of mis-information in my ini and hal files.
Is it typical to leave the mess or clean it up? I would like to post the final ini file, hal file, and modified toolchanger.comp file. Should I do that here or is there another location?

Here is a short video or the turret.

Only thing left is the final clean up wiring.

Thanks again! I have learned a lot. I appreciate the info provided.

More
15 May 2016 00:55 #74668 by andypugh

Is it typical to leave the mess or clean it up?

I like to clean it up, or explain why something is commented out.

Imagine that future-you is reading the files, and consider whether the cruft is informative or confusing

More
16 May 2016 21:02 #74777 by twender
Sounds good. I removed the ini, hal, and comp file unitl I clean them up and add appropriate comments.

I use Fusion 360 on my mill with good success. I was hoping to do the same with my lathe. I have seen reference to using the Tormach PP with linuxcnc by remapping the tool change MxTxG43 to T05. Can you comment about that path as a solution? The threads I keep finding are a bit old, so maybe you are aware of a different solution? If so, please respond with reference.

Thank you

More
16 May 2016 21:18 #74779 by andypugh

I have seen reference to using the Tormach PP with linuxcnc by remapping the tool change MxTxG43 to T05. Can you comment about that path as a solution?

You can have T05 style tool changing on standard LinuxCNC relatively easily.

Have a look at the sim / axis / lathe-Fanuccy config for an example. It replaces TNN with a remap to a G-code subroutine that also does an M6, G43 and G43.2 (for wear offsets).

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds