Home made encoder questions

More
05 Sep 2019 06:19 #144210 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Home made encoder questions
Ah, I understand now. I think the material I am getting is plastic coated on both sides. It's very possible to etch 304 with a substance called Adlers etchant. But the material must be mirror polished. They refer to it as a number 8 finish. But the MDF idea is a good thought. I think the MDF may be problematic with the etchant, since it is a liquid and will soak into the wood. I was planning to use a contact adhesive on the plastic and a glass plate. Then stick the two together, remove the top plastic coating then use the etchant. The plastic on the side stuck to the glass will stop the etchant and the glass was intended to keep it flat as you suggested with the MDF.

But thanks for that input. Good ideas, all around.

Scot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 06:23 #144211 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Home made encoder questions
hi pcw is refering to somthing like that
attanchion the inner circle may be only 1 Block
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2019 07:10 #144222 by aleksamc
For a pity, I can't make front photo of the entire disc because this encoder is working. Hope this photos will help you.
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2019 10:48 #144231 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Home made encoder questions
this encoders are made to go on double Axis Motors
for a lathe you may want it direct on Spindle

More
05 Sep 2019 14:50 #144242 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Home made encoder questions
No, I was referering to the fact that most higher resolution quadrature encoders use a simple slotted (or photo lithographed) disk with only one ring of slots and the quadrature detection is done with Moire or Ronchi masks with an 1/4 slot pitch offset between the A and B masks.

More
05 Sep 2019 16:30 #144247 by Scot
Okay. I think I understand now. The second ring of slits is 1/4 the distance past the leading edge of the first slits and 1/4 behind the trailing edge of the next slit. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Scot

More
05 Sep 2019 16:36 #144248 by Scot
Thanks for the attempt! I appreciate you took out the time, for sure. It helps a bit to get an idea what's in the enclosure, too.

More
05 Sep 2019 16:37 #144249 by Scot
I think I'm grasping it now. The only thing I have to make sure of is to pick the right reader for it. I know they sell kits with just a wheel and a reader which can be mounted as needed. If I can etch the wheel, pick the right reader and then mount it precisely enough, it should work. Well, I hope so at least.

Great info. Thanks a bunch.

Scot

More
05 Sep 2019 16:46 - 05 Sep 2019 16:53 #144250 by Dinuka_Shehan
Last edit: 05 Sep 2019 16:53 by Dinuka_Shehan.

More
05 Sep 2019 17:21 #144253 by Scot
Thanks for the link. I have a questions, though. Is that encoder capable of reading in quadrature? I see the index and the single ring of slits is clear. But from what I'm getting about keeping accurate threading, this design may not work.

The lathe I'm retrofitting keeps pretty tight tolerances and I'll be using it in a commercial setting. The problem I'm running into is keeping those precise interactions between the spindle and tooling. I'm using Linuxcnc, as well, and not Mach.

Thanks again,

Scot

The basic idea of mounting the wheel to the back of the spindle on the lathe is the same, though. Albeit what I'm doing is on a bigger machine.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds