New Project questions

More
29 Oct 2011 16:19 #14384 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:New Project questions
Wit our cards, probably the simplest way would be to use a 5I23, for the controller, a 7I33TA for the analog servo/encoder interface, a 7I44 for High speed RS-422 interface and 2X 7I70s for Field inputs and 1X 7I71 for Field outputs
This combination of cards would give you 4 Axis of analog servo interface, (4 encoder inputs and 4 +-10V analog outputs). The 2 7I70s would give you 96 24V inputs and the 7I71 would give you 48 24V outputs

This leaves one FPGA connector and 5 high speed RS-422 channels free for expansion
This configuration will require EMC2.5 to support the 7I70 and 7I71.

The 7I70 and 7I71 connect via CAT6 cables ("Ethernet cables) and can be up to 100 feet from the controller. Sometimes this can help with wireing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2011 16:21 - 29 Oct 2011 16:27 #14385 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Re:New Project questions
Thank you....With the help of this Forum that is exactly the set-up I was gravitating to. The 5I20,7I33Ta,7I46 and three pieces of the 7I64.

I am sure over the next few months or so I will be a regular on here. I really just wanted my ticket stamped before I spent the money on the wrong hardware.

I do have another question on the computer. You mentioned the ATOM and it has on board Video. I read somewhere that on board Video could be a problem. I do have a few computers laying around but would like to start all new on this project.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2011 16:27 by SRT.

More
29 Oct 2011 16:34 #14386 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Re:New Project questions
Wit our cards, probably the simplest way would be to use a 5I23, for the controller, a 7I33TA for the analog servo/encoder interface, a 7I44 for High speed RS-422 interface and 2X 7I70s for Field inputs and 1X 7I71 for Field outputs
This combination of cards would give you 4 Axis of analog servo interface, (4 encoder inputs and 4 +-10V analog outputs). The 2 7I70s would give you 96 24V inputs and the 7I71 would give you 48 24V outputs

This leaves one FPGA connector and 5 high speed RS-422 channels free for expansion
This configuration will require EMC2.5 to support the 7I70 and 7I71.

The 7I70 and 7I71 connect via CAT6 cables ("Ethernet cables) and can be up to 100 feet from the controller. Sometimes this can help with wireing

As a beginner would I be getting in way over my head with the EMC2.5? I will need every bit of support I can get to get this thing on line.

More
29 Oct 2011 21:03 #14396 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:New Project questions
You can get a deb or just run 2.5 as a RIP (Run In Place) which is fairly simple to do after installing 2.4 with the LiveCD until the 2.5 official release.

John

More
29 Oct 2011 21:05 #14397 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:New Project questions
SRT wrote:

As a beginner would I be getting in way over my head with the EMC2.5? I will need every bit of support I can get to get this thing on line.

EMC2.5 is due for release fairly soon, so is pretty reliable.
(Note that the support for the 7i70 / 7i76 etc is not in there yet, but I just need to press a button to make it happen)
2.5 (and 2.6 too) are available as packages, so no need to compile. You just need to edit a few lines in the config files:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
I think that the Pico PPMC is parallel port only, but you can always add another p-port or two if you need more IO. Note that it uses the p-port as a communications port, not as individual pins like the cheap stepper systems.

For clarity, Pete is Mesa, Jon is Pico. I am neither, but I do write a lot of the Mesa drivers. I try to remain impartial, though.

More
29 Oct 2011 21:50 #14400 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:New Project questions
SRT wrote:

I do have another question on the computer. You mentioned the ATOM and it has on board Video. I read somewhere that on board Video could be a problem. I do have a few computers laying around but would like to start all new on this project.

The on board video of the Atom boards appears to not be any problem at all, the latency numbers
are great, even when playing around with video hogs like glxgears. I have tested both the
D510MO and the D525MW motherboards.

Jon

More
29 Oct 2011 21:55 #14401 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:New Project questions
andypugh wrote:

SRT wrote:

I think that the Pico PPMC is parallel port only, but you can always add another p-port or two if you need more IO. Note that it uses the p-port as a communications port, not as individual pins like the cheap stepper systems.

The PPMC allows up to 16 board of your choice to be run off a single parallel port.
It is possible to daisy-chain two motherboards together to get the 16 board slots.
No one has ever needed to even use the second motherboard.

If you wanted to use the PPMC with lots of additional I/O, then maybe the
Vigilant or Vital Systems multi-IO board would do it.

Jon

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds