Which board to buy?

More
08 Mar 2013 03:35 #31044 by ScottBouch
Hi all,

This is my first post, so nice to meet you!

I'm converting an old Drummond Round Bed lathe (100 years old) to CNC. I'm adding a vertical slide for milling, and possibly a rotary 4th axis in the future.

I'm trying to research the right bits to buy, for the lowest budget possible.

I'm looking for possibly 4 axis plus spindle speed control. My spindle motor is 24Vdc. I can easily set up spindle speed feedback for PID control.

Not sure on which stepper motors to go for, or drive board. I'm planning on 2:1 or 3:1 toothed belt driving the axes, so as to put less torque load on the stepper motors, and possibly get away with smaller / cheaper motors and drives.

Intended use is metal turning and milling, aluminium and mild steel.

Any guidance is very much appreciated,
Thanks, Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2013 06:27 #31046 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Which board to buy?
If you do not want to use to much money you can use the parallel port, that is the less expensive but also more limited situation (for 4 axis I think that you are forced to use 2 parallel ports for some IO).
If you want a better solution, more expandable, there are several members (including me) that are using hardware from mesa. In this forum there are good support for both situations.

More
08 Mar 2013 07:11 #31051 by ScottBouch
Replied by ScottBouch on topic Which board to buy?
Hi emcPT,

Thanks for your reply...

As I'm still learning, I've just googled Mesa boards and found PCI cards. Do you use these to give you an extra parallel port?

What drive circuitry do you use between the parallel port and motors?

Is there sone information somewhere on different ways to build the system?

Cheers, Scott

Thanks, Scott

More
08 Mar 2013 14:49 #31071 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Which board to buy?

Hi emcPT,

Thanks for your reply...

As I'm still learning

Me too. I am doing a retrofit in a lathe also, and I am in the start.

If you choose the mesa, then you will not have the need use the parallel port. The mesa hardware have a lot of solutions (you can plug several mesa cards on the base card) as I am also finding out. I bought the hardware from mesa, and until know I think it is good for what I am doing. I bought a 5i20 (base card) a 7i33TA and a 7i37TA and I think I made a correct choose, but please note that I am using servo drives.
I bought the 5i20 as it is probably the board that is more used = more information and more help if I need, around here (or was because I bought it 1 year ago).

More
08 Mar 2013 17:51 #31082 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Which board to buy?
If you have not already you might want to take a look at Chapter 2 of the user manual for some general information.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_User_Manual.pdf

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

More
08 Mar 2013 20:56 - 08 Mar 2013 20:57 #31090 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Which board to buy?
Scott,

Unless this is a desktop lathe steppers may not have enough power... converting manual machines usually requires changing the lead screws for ball screws.

For a basic stepper machine using Mesa hardware you need a 5i25 7i76 combo with the cable. In addition to stepper motors you need stepper drives like Gecko 203 or 251 one for each motor, a power supply for the drives 48vdc or more depending on the drive, a 24vdc power supply for the 7i76 field IO.

John
Last edit: 08 Mar 2013 20:57 by BigJohnT.

More
08 Mar 2013 22:29 #31094 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Which board to buy?

I'm converting an old Drummond Round Bed lathe (100 years old) to CNC. I'm adding a vertical slide for milling, and possibly a rotary 4th axis in the future.

In some ways this might seem like a heretical thing to do, but actually the Drummond might be quite a good candidate.
www.lathes.co.uk/drummondroundbed/
The leadscrew is completely hidden inside the bed, so is well protected, and mounting a motor on either end of the bed to drive it could be done quite neatly.
The cross slide (and proposed vertical slide) might be more difficult to motorise, they generally are.

My lathe conversion uses NEMA23 sized steppers, and they are just about big enough (turning is fine, but toolpost-drilling with anything bigger than 10mm doesn't work).

You will probably need to convert to ballscrews, which is probably easy enough for Z, but finding space for an X ballnut might take ingenuity.

www.zappautomation.co.uk/ have ballscrews at a decent price.

More
09 Mar 2013 00:26 #31100 by ScottBouch
Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the feedback so far! My Drummond RB has a 4" swing and 12" between centres.

I'm only planning on using the original leadscrew, I have another cross slide from a bigger lathe, and vertical slide from some sort of instrument.

Budget is my biggest constraint, i was considering the cheap Chinese boards on ebay. Do they work with LinuxCNC via my PC's parallel port?

I may have to stick to just 3 axis to save cost.

I'd really like to dp spindle speed control too, but I could bodge this externaly.

Cheers, scott

More
09 Mar 2013 06:16 - 09 Mar 2013 06:20 #31110 by ScottBouch
This is the sort of cheap Chinese board I've been looking at on Ebay...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261169442869?ssPageNa...id=p3984.m1438.l2649

It is a kit including 3 motors, but these are only NEMA17's. I do plan to use a toothed belt on each motor with a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio, to help with tourque, as speed isn't of great concern. They may be too weak though..

Has anyone got experience of these boards with Linux emc2?

The board in the link also does PWM spindle speed control, and takes a PWM input back from the spindle, I assume it uses a PID loop, but not sure how you'd configure the PID settings.

The boards suggested here do seem like a really good way to do it, but the cost (as reasonable as it is) may be prohibitive to the project.

I know you get what you pay for, and I also hate to spend good money after bad, but I'm really limited on this...

Cheers, Scott
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 06:20 by ScottBouch.

More
10 Mar 2013 07:19 #31150 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Which board to buy?

It is a kit including 3 motors, but these are only NEMA17's.

It has a kepad and screen that are probably no use to you.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380589096106
Is cheaper and has bigger motors.

Has anyone got experience of these boards with Linux emc2?

Yes. I started with one of those boards. I blew it up one time too many and upgraded to some better drives. But I learned a lot in the process.
One thing I learned (eventually) is to never, ever, disconnect the motors from a TB6560 when they are powered up. In fact don't even look directly at the motor terminals, just to be sure.

The board in the link also does PWM spindle speed control, and takes a PWM input back from the spindle, I assume it uses a PID loop, but not sure how you'd configure the PID settings.

PID inside LinuxCNC/HAL is generally better. You can watch what it is doing.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds