5i25 with 7i76 - not responding correctly

More
04 Jun 2013 01:11 #35215 by cncbasher
in the support software download for the 5i25 is the flash loader program
then use it to load the 7i76x2 or appropriate bit file you need from the hostmot2 directory in the support download

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2013 01:12 - 04 Jun 2013 01:13 #35216 by PCW
first download the 5i25.zip file from mesa:

www.mesanet.com/software/parallel/5i25.zip

extract the desired bitfiles (in configs/hostmot2) and the mesaflash utility (in utils/linux) to a temporary directory
and then in the directory with mesaflash and the bitfiles, type this is a terminal

chmod +x mesaflash

; this is needed because mesaflash is extracted from a zip file so the file permissions are not preserved

sudo ./mesaflash --device 5i25 --write 7i76x2.bit

Note you need to cycle the PC power to load the new firmware
Last edit: 04 Jun 2013 01:13 by PCW.

More
04 Jun 2013 01:30 #35218 by mariusl
@ Peter
Thanks a lot for the advice, it works now. One question, how do I see from the dump what the firmware version was? I looked but could not see anything specific.

@ Others, thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it tremendously. :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
04 Jun 2013 01:44 #35220 by PCW
There is the sserial version but there is no actual readable firmware name in the firmware.
I just checked that the pins listed in dmesg made sense for a 7I76, and they did not

The other method is to do what John T suggested and load a bare config and dont specify
anything on the config line, then list all the pins. If you dont see the appropriate hardware pins/parameters
(that match the appropriate .pin file) you know its not the correct firmware.

We do eventually intend to include a firmware name and daughterboard hints in the firmware IDROM

More
04 Jun 2013 01:48 #35222 by cncbasher

There is the sserial version but there is no actual readable firmware name in the firmware.
I just checked that the pins listed in dmesg made sense for a 7I76, and they did not

The other method is to do what John T suggested and load a bare config and dont specify
anything on the config line, then list all the pins. If you dont see the appropriate hardware pins/parameters
(that match the appropriate .pin file) you know its not the correct firmware.

We do eventually intend to include a firmware name and daughterboard hints in the firmware IDROM

PCW
arh ! I was looking to see how you knew,
yes some hints would be nice for supporting problems ..

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds