Mesa VS Pico?

More
22 Jan 2016 20:04 #68933 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa VS Pico?
I emailed you saying that the 7I77 was out for stock
and should be available sometime around next week

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2016 20:31 #68936 by aventtini
Replied by aventtini on topic Mesa VS Pico?
sorry peter did not get it . Its already payed but you did not process the payment

More
29 Jan 2016 16:50 - 29 Jan 2016 16:50 #69240 by cncnoob1979
Replied by cncnoob1979 on topic Mesa VS Pico?
I did not order Pico because I was confused about the options and what was required to order for my particular setup. I found the Mesa information and to be sufficient and explained what I needed to order for my purposes.

Would that have changed with more information available for Pico systems directly related to my system? Perhaps. With reading about limited availability of Mesa hardware, I was strongly considering Pico. In the end, I did not feel as comfortable with the options. Either due to information overload or my limited understanding of the options, both perhaps contributed.

For my system the 5i25/7i77 was precisely what I was needing and found a lot of information on this site about my configuration. I feel that Pico did not have the same information easily available to me. Does that mean the information does not exist, certainly not. However just breaking into this field, I can say from my experience - Mesa was extremely easy to setup and I understood all available options and how to apply this for my particular needs. My Mesa system worked on my first try, and that was a relief for a new user.

For example - If I wanted to purchase a Pico system to handle exactly what I need for this system, a Bridgeport Interact, what would I need to purchase? I still unsure, I stopped researching the system and decided Mesa.

I am very new to all of this. Pico I'm sure was an option, but in the end, It was down to existing documentation that already existed on my particular system and the wealth of information I found on other systems.

I will be retrofitting a lathe next [Once the lady of the house approves] then I will look at Pico and Mesa again to determine the next setup.

This is my opinion and that is all that matters, in the end - I did choose what I chose. As a new entry customer I found the Mesa easy to configure and install due to the above reasons.

Please do not take this as a knock on Pico systems. This was my experience and my reasoning for my ultimate decision.

I strongly believe both systems are capable and support is excellent on which ever you ultimately decided to use.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 16:50 by cncnoob1979.

More
29 Jan 2016 18:19 #69249 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Mesa VS Pico?

I did not order Pico because I was confused about the options and what was required to order for my particular setup. I found the Mesa information and to be sufficient and explained what I needed to order for my purposes.

Would that have changed with more information available for Pico systems directly related to my system? Perhaps. With reading about limited availability of Mesa hardware, I was strongly considering Pico. In the end, I did not feel as comfortable with the options. Either due to information overload or my limited understanding of the options, both perhaps contributed.

Well, you could have called or sent me an email. I would have been happy to help you figure out what our products could do for your specific project.

For example - If I wanted to purchase a Pico system to handle exactly what I need for this system, a Bridgeport Interact, what would I need to purchase? I still unsure, I stopped researching the system and decided Mesa.

So, this has SEM motors on it? Do you have the servo drives? What shape are they in, and what brand?
I've sold the gear to a few people who have retrofitted these, but I think they replaced the servo amps with newer units from eBay.

For use with existing velocity servo amps or newer ones from AMC or Copley, you can use our PPMC board set, which is $780 for the basic set. Or, you can use our PWM system, but our servo amps are limited to 20 A peak. That may be enough for the Bridgeport with SEM motors, however. A 3-axis system would be $625 in that case.

Jon

More
29 Jan 2016 18:24 #69250 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Mesa VS Pico?

Well, you could have called or sent me an email. I would have been happy to help you figure out what our products could do for your specific project.

I can say personally the support from Jon at Pico is AWESOME. As I am in WAY over my head on my first retrofit every dumb little question has been answered and with short response times. My first retro is a VMC with a TON of peripherals, but ill be tuning servos Sunday!

So, this has SEM motors on it? Do you have the servo drives? What shape are they in, and what brand?
I've sold the gear to a few people who have retrofitted these, but I think they replaced the servo amps with newer units from eBay.

For use with existing velocity servo amps or newer ones from AMC or Copley, you can use our PPMC board set, which is $780 for the basic set. Or, you can use our PWM system, but our servo amps are limited to 20 A peak. That may be enough for the Bridgeport with SEM motors, however. A 3-axis system would be $625 in that case.

Jon

More
29 Jan 2016 18:53 #69251 by LearningLinuxCNC
Replied by LearningLinuxCNC on topic Mesa VS Pico?
I will agree with Jake. The personal support you get from Jon at Pico is second to none. Before I began my retrofit Jon suggested that we test my servo motors with his drives. I took one of my servo motors to Jon (I live about 1.5 hours away from Jon) and we tested it to make sure the two were compatible. They were so that sold me on the Pico system as a whole.

I place my order for a UPC, 3 PWM servo amps, Heat Sink for the amps, Spindle DAC, and SSRs for my retrofit and I had them within a week.

As with any project I have had some issues with getting my machine retrofitted. Jon has always had quick responses via email or phone. (Note that he is not available by phone in the afternoon or evening). I have also had some hardware failures (Due to my stupid mistakes) and Jon has had me replacement parts within a week each time.

The Pico system is not as easy to configure as Mesa as there is no setup tool like PNCCONF for the Pico products.

All of this said I will for sure recommend Pico Systems.

Jim

More
31 Jan 2016 10:35 #69306 by aventtini
Replied by aventtini on topic Mesa VS Pico?
PCW any news when i can order 2-3 pcs of 7i77?

More
31 Jan 2016 20:35 #69343 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa VS Pico?
we will have them sometime next week (Eurosurplus should have some sooner)

More
31 Jan 2016 21:01 #69346 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Mesa VS Pico?
EuSurplus

More
29 May 2016 20:56 #75233 by reliantkill
Replied by reliantkill on topic Mesa VS Pico?
I Agree with You brother, I order my Mesa hardware as soon as inventory was available and I receive my 5I25-7I77 kit in the next 3 days. I don't know about the past but my present experience is that the guys in Mesa are taking care of business. I also ask support and received answers right away. therefore in my present experience I am a satisfied customer. I found mesa hardware as a Plug and play solution. I am not going to take away credit from Pico systems due to the support for redcap Fanuc servos, my next project is to retrofit a Fanuc IKEGAI AX25N so I am considering Pico Systems for that.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds