8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo

More
20 Nov 2017 18:48 #102092 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic 8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo
I have the same thing as Tommylight. Same motors and drives.

Would it be still doable with the 8i20 without any other signal, just the three motor wires?

Also, anyone know if the 8i20 will be available soon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 18:56 #102093 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo
You can do it, but the motor needs to shake / move to find an index first.

More
20 Nov 2017 23:57 #102114 by tommylight

You can do it, but the motor needs to shake / move to find an index first.

I have not confirmed this, but i believe that is exactly what those Yaskawa drives do when i turn on the machine power, otherwise how would it know that regenerative braking is not functioning? Just to be clear, drives have a regenerative braking resistor AND a braking resistor, so two separate resistors. As the electronic and the main power switch are behind the machine, i could not see that actually happening, but now i have a reason to check that. Will report back.
If that is the case, how would one go about implementing that for 8i20 ?

More
21 Nov 2017 00:42 #102116 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo

how would it know that regenerative braking is not functioning?
If that is the case, how would one go about implementing that for 8i20 ?

You probably can't. The 8i20 is quite a dumb drive, and LinuxCNC is too far down the chain from the motors to do anything clever like infer braking resistor state from the back-emf.

You will get an overvolt cut out, if the braking resistor fails, though.

More
21 Nov 2017 02:02 #102119 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic 8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo
Oh, the Yaskawa motors that I took a look at some years ago had normal A and B signals, but the C signal looked much like the A and B. The phase relationship between C and the A/B tracks gave the commutation information. So, yet another proprietary encoder scheme.

Jon

More
21 Nov 2017 07:32 #102124 by tommylight
Andy, i meant the original drives probably do that ,will go check later today if they actually move when powering on the machine.
Jon, the encoders are wired to the drives and from there to 7i77 encoder inputs, at 7i77 they are normal A B and index pulses, for sure. To check the output from encoders i will have to dissmantle a 50 pin connector and provide 5V. Might as well check that also when i get there.
Regards and thank you,
Tom

More
21 Nov 2017 17:34 #102147 by bevins
I just checked mine and they do not move at all when powering up the machine.

More
21 Nov 2017 18:20 #102149 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic 8i20 with 7i77/7i74 combo

Jon, the encoders are wired to the drives and from there to 7i77 encoder inputs, at 7i77 they are normal A B and index pulses, for sure. To check the output from encoders i will have to dissmantle a 50 pin connector and provide 5V. Might as well check that also when i get there.

Right, that is standard for the Yaskawa drives to convert their proprietary encoder format to industry-compatible ABZ. And, the Yaskawa scheme does not require the motor to move more than one encoder count to read the commutation info. So, you'd never detect that tiny movement.

Jon

More
21 Nov 2017 18:32 #102151 by bevins
The encoders look standard on the motors going back to the drive.
A,/A
B, /B
C, /C
0v
5+
frame ground

And the motor itself there are 4 pins,

U,V,W and frame ground.

That doesnt look like anything proprietory to me.

More
21 Nov 2017 22:51 #102157 by tommylight
Jon, you are correct, thank you for explaining that.
I did check today and i can not notice the motors moving on power on, as 1 or 2 counts on a 5000 PPR encoder translates to no visible movement. Oh cra..
The second drive is failing quickly as i got twice that A03 error inside of 5 minutes.
Oh cra..
Bevins, i did notice on half a schematic i got for those drives that encoders have A, B, and C outputs, not A, B and indez or Z as normal incremental encoders do, so that magic happens in the drives, as Jon explained it. It looks like i will have to change the encoders, i do have 6 of the 2500 PPR variety, but i would rather change the motors also, less mechanical work, me thinks! Also less fidling vith electronics, a bit of research is in order........tomorrow ! :)
The spindle drive turned on today and worked for some 30 seconds and stopped again. Old stuff......
Question : regarding hal sensors, does it have to be only one, or 3 for each winding one? What about placement? They must be at a certain place inside the motor? Will read about that too while i am at it.
Any tips on a decent motor/drive combo for 1KW?
Working with 7i77 is a must as i prefer having the loop closed in Linuxcnc.
Also any tips on a VFD for over 7.5 KW ?
Thank you all.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds