Mesa 7i76E estop

More
19 Dec 2020 13:36 - 19 Dec 2020 13:40 #192452 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Mesa 7i76E estop

(this will cut ac on 48 PS for steppers, 24V PS for messa card 5V PS

Be advised that cutting the DC primary supply to mesa cards can damage the drivers as has been pointed out by PCW several times.
e.g. forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3804...nvc7608-fried#164507
[edit] and indeed in the third post in this very thread as I just noticed!

It's much better to disable the drives by using the "enable" input if they have it and generally to go think about what to disable where and how instead of just willy nilly cutting power supplies to everything.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2020 13:40 by Aciera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2020 21:12 #192479 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic Mesa 7i76E estop
that's how ... is. the enable or emg input if available. to avoid damage to the nc, the controller must remain alive. the best way is a safety relay that controls these inputs and switches a Mcc contactor for the power

More
24 Dec 2020 11:02 #193089 by zieluch
Replied by zieluch on topic Mesa 7i76E estop
Thank you guys for all the inputs. I configure for now only "soft" estop in the mesa card, and I will consider all the points with implementing second one.

regarding

It's much better to disable the drives by using the "enable" input if they have it and generally to go think about what to disable where and how instead of just willy nilly cutting power supplies to everything.

I have closed loop steppers with enable alm etc ports, actually I was wondering why I have so many ports and using only 4 of them. Sorry for the newbie question but If I understand you correctly I can setup one of the outputs as NO and connect to enable ports in the steppers and close output when estop is triggered ?

Thanks Michal

More
25 Dec 2020 12:06 #193172 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa 7i76E estop
If your drivers have alarms, you can connect them to joint.N.amp−fault−in
ref:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/motion.9.html#JOINT%20PINS

More
25 Dec 2020 15:13 #193179 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mesa 7i76E estop

If your drivers have alarms, you can connect them to joint.N.amp−fault−in

On the machine with Lam Technologies drives i have that wired ad functioning, had that trigger once due to the new 12 meter long machine torch and torch cable that is unshielded ! Caused some raised eyebrows for several days triggering all kinds of errors at torch fire, turns out a new 12m cable/torch costing a smidge under 500 Euro is cheap for a reason = no shielding.
The fault feature is very nice as it shows the joint/axis that faulted making troubleshooting much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
25 Dec 2020 22:30 #193197 by rodw
Tommy, when the fault ocurred, were you able to resume cutting once resolved? I could not find a way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Dec 2020 23:28 #193201 by tommylight
Yes, enabled, checked where it stopped in gcode and gremlin, F9 + run from here.
After some thinking that day it occurred to me that i could roll back to the start of that part>disable the torch>run from here>pause near the point where it failed>use the fwd-rev to position it accurately>enable the torch>resume from pause.
I was sure that it had lost the position as Lam takes a while to send the fault, but luckily the faulted drive was not mowing when it error-ed, it happened on a straight line move on Y axis, the X faulted.
I really have to order some shielding for that torch, i still have the feeling it will do that again, it has not in over 3 weeks, but it will ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
26 Dec 2020 00:45 #193203 by rodw
Yeh, I've recovered by disabling from torch and enabling it again. But on a batch of 100's of small part, its not really a viable method. When mine faulted, it was a driver overheat issue. It took a while to cool down. It would be nice if it just resumed like it does when the plasma cutter overheats. I'm thinking we need a component to connect the fault signals to that identifies the fault and sets motion.feed-inhibit or the spindle at speed signal so when the fault is cleared, motion just resumes.

More
26 Dec 2020 01:21 #193204 by tommylight
Should be easy enough to do using normal inputs tied to pause and "mesage" to alert on what axis drive faulted, but that would also need another button to reset the "enable" on the drives and be interlocked with the normal enable, or have 3 or 4 separate buttons one for each axis drive, since we have enough IO pins.

More
26 Dec 2020 01:24 #193205 by tommylight
BTW, mine faulted as "short on motor wires" as it had that torch cable going in parallel with all other cables for over 7 meters.
And motor cables are also not shielded, can not find that here.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds