Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC

More
09 Apr 2021 08:49 #205407 by andypugh
Motors are generally happy in significantly more than rated voltage as long as the current is within range.
An extreme case of this is seen with steppers, where running a 4V stepper at 80V is common.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2021 14:37 #206015 by randypetersen
Thanks for the info andypugh!

More
17 Apr 2021 21:20 #206229 by Cd1k
Replied by Cd1k on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
So, Randy I’m going through this now also. Curious if you could give me a direct route to getting my machine up to date also and away from the old system.

More
21 Apr 2021 10:42 #206625 by randypetersen
Tell me about your system!

I'd suggest following this thread if you looking for a precix -> linuxcnc guide.

You can see I have included my settings files in this thread. I am still working to refine them.

Take some pictures, start a thread on here, these are some smart guys on this forum that are very helpful. You got to give them what they need to help you though. Take some detailed photos and keep us posted.

More
29 Apr 2021 21:23 #207409 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
Hi Randy,

Look what I have, rather my customer.

Wanted to know if the encoder connections are correct in the thread.

Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2021 21:25 #207410 by bevins
Does the enable woirkj the way you have it on the drawing? IT seems weird to me, nbut if you have it working like that I'll surely connect it that way.

BTW, what was the DC voltage your using for the drives/motors?

Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2021 21:27 - 29 Apr 2021 21:27 #207412 by bevins
Sorry for all the questions, I have to quote this retrofit.

Did you use the csame cabinet for the computer power supply and mesa boards?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2021 21:27 by bevins.

More
29 Apr 2021 22:05 #207416 by randypetersen
Yes, that looks just like what I got.

I am still using those amplifiers, I asked COPLEY about a replacement and they said:

The base model 4122CE is obsolete and there is no pin for pin replacement. I do not know who owns Precix Advanced cutting but they stopped buying Copley 10 years ago.
800-760
Any, was Precix Advanced Cutting Technology
4122CE
For Astromec T31-9, Torque Mode, L 4, R 0.7, Ic 8.7
www.copleycontrols.com/wp-content/upload...asheet-Datasheet.pdf

That is how I connected my setup... right or wrong, but it's working. I bought a new MAGMOTOR that I am going to install soon.

My power supply going to the amplifiers is about 50 or 51volts, I am guessing it's a 48 volt power supply.

I got my MESA boards in the same box as the power supply. So I took out the other motherboard/boards from the old setup. Took out the floppy drive. Stripped it to just the power supply and the connections to the sensors/motors. Then wired in the mesa boards there.

Just got a nothing special old PC powering LinuxCNC with 2 network boards - 1 going to MESA and 1 going to NETWORK.

Glad to help however I can, forum folks have helped me so much :)

Thanks,
Randy

More
29 Apr 2021 22:44 #207417 by bevins

Yes, that looks just like what I got.

I am still using those amplifiers, I asked COPLEY about a replacement and they said:

The base model 4122CE is obsolete and there is no pin for pin replacement. I do not know who owns Precix Advanced cutting but they stopped buying Copley 10 years ago.
800-760
Any, was Precix Advanced Cutting Technology
4122CE
For Astromec T31-9, Torque Mode, L 4, R 0.7, Ic 8.7
www.copleycontrols.com/wp-content/upload...asheet-Datasheet.pdf

That is how I connected my setup... right or wrong, but it's working. I bought a new MAGMOTOR that I am going to install soon.

My power supply going to the amplifiers is about 50 or 51volts, I am guessing it's a 48 volt power supply.

I got my MESA boards in the same box as the power supply. So I took out the other motherboard/boards from the old setup. Took out the floppy drive. Stripped it to just the power supply and the connections to the sensors/motors. Then wired in the mesa boards there.

Just got a nothing special old PC powering LinuxCNC with 2 network boards - 1 going to MESA and 1 going to NETWORK.

Glad to help however I can, forum folks have helped me so much :)

Thanks,
Randy

Great, thanks alot for posting pics and data.

I’ll create a build thread later.

More
30 Apr 2021 01:38 #207424 by randypetersen
Yes! :Looking forward to your thread, and anything I can do to help just ask. Curious to see how your tuning goes. I am still having some issues,although it's working.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds