7i76e Configuration Tool

More
09 May 2019 14:02 - 10 May 2019 16:08 #133240 by AgentWD40
I tried and failed to install the 7i76e config tool last night. jethornton.github.io/7i76e/install.html

I'm working in a fresh install of debian stretch with linuxcnc2.8.

To add to your installation instructions I had to `sudo apt-get install git`. And wherever the pip3 packages are located isn't included in the $PATH so running 7i76e per the instructions didn't work.

I managed to find my way to the 7i76e package directory and tried to execute it with `python 7i76e.py` but it failed with an error. Line #4, it didn't recognize the configparser library.
Last edit: 10 May 2019 16:08 by AgentWD40. Reason: Question moved to its own thread

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2019 16:30 #133252 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic 7i76e Configuration Tool
Looks like you mixed and matched install step, git is not required so that tells me you did a git clone perhaps. I just followed the install instructions starting at step 2 because I already had all the dependences installed on that PC and step 3 I typed in 7i76e and it ran ok for me.

But reading your words again I know what the issue is, On Debian 9 (Stretch) ~/.local/bin/ is not on the PATH due to a regression in bash and I forgot about that. For a single shell session you can get around this by running export PATH=$PATH:~/.local/bin/ before launching 7i76e. I'll put a more permanent fix on the repo in a bit.

I am interested in your feedback on this tool as I'm not sure where I left off as it's been a while since I've worked on it.

JT

More
09 May 2019 18:31 - 10 May 2019 16:14 #133268 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic 7i76e Configuration Tool
Running step 2 as it's given in the instructions
`pip3 install git+https://github.com/jethornton/7i76e.git`
threw errors until I installed git. It made me log in and everything.

I'll certainly let you know how it goes. This is my first experience with LinuxCNC so I'm sort of absorbing information right now and just trying to stay afloat, if you mean to say it's still under development I can't promise that I'll stick with the tool if it's not ready for prime time.

This is a plasma table and so it looks like I have some reading to do on the plasmac setup. Not yet knowing exactly what that's all about would that route replace the need for this tool for me? [edit] Answer: nope.
Last edit: 10 May 2019 16:14 by AgentWD40.

More
09 May 2019 21:28 #133299 by BigJohnT
Thanks, come to think of it I've never did a pip install on a pc without git being installed, I'm guessing now that pip uses git to clone or something. I'll test on one and update the instructions to include installing git.

My first build was a plasma table. I'm working on a plasma GUI that is simple and works the way I want to work. If your using 2.8 (master) you can try it out. It's a QtPyVCP GUI, which is easy to share GUI's without having to clone LinuxCNC.

github.com/jethornton/plasma_v2

This is a video of part nesting. It uses a subroutine for the part and moves it around as commanded.

JT

More
10 May 2019 03:21 - 10 May 2019 03:29 #133315 by AgentWD40
I'm very interested to see it but it's not loading for me. It's telling me "Can't execute DISPLAY program qtpyvcp"

With as much junk as I've been installing and compiling this evening I can't believe I need yet another dependency!?
Last edit: 10 May 2019 03:29 by AgentWD40.

More
10 May 2019 11:06 #133340 by BigJohnT
Did you install QtPyVCP?

qtpyvcp.kcjengr.com/install/quick_start.html

JT

More
10 May 2019 13:22 #133352 by AgentWD40
Not yet. I discovered that after posting last night. Due to a sketchy wifi connection I was having trouble downloading the package. I'll try again this evening.

More
10 May 2019 15:43 #133370 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e Configuration Tool
The tool installation worked for me (Ubuntu 18.04), doing only step 2 (but this is likely because I have hazzy and all its dependencies already installed)

More
10 May 2019 15:58 - 10 May 2019 16:17 #133372 by AgentWD40
I suppose we switched topics there for a minute. I do have the tool running now. I needed to update my $PATH to include ~/.local/bin

I do like and prefer its interface to pncconf, however for a newbie like me it would be awesome if the fields had helpful tool tips with examples or sane ranges, and/or default values. I had to load the a pncconf generated (minimal) config to somewhat get my bearings. I haven't explored it much more beyond that though yet as I was busy getting plasmac up and running, but I intend to. Next on the list for me is to better learn how hal works.
Last edit: 10 May 2019 16:17 by AgentWD40.

More
11 May 2019 12:42 #133446 by BigJohnT
Very few if any entries would have a "default value" IMHO. As for "sane ranges" that too can be limiting as it would be different for each machine. Pop up help can be nice and annoying at the same time and does take time to program. I'll see about adding to it now that I know someone is using it. It does have"default values" for the PID settings! I think Peter mentioned before that using the minimum drive timing settings is not a good idea so I need to revisit that.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds