Wiring 7i96 and THCAD

More
17 May 2019 17:17 #134077 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD

islander261 wrote: Most people can't repair a surface mount board at home.


I just got the board in the mail today. I took this statement as a personal challenge and had to take a close look at the components... lol me trying to solder on this thing? Might as well just try to fix it with a sledge hammer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2019 17:34 - 17 May 2019 17:44 #134079 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
I would use a relay for contact closure to pins 3 and 4 to be safe. Pins 12 and 14 look good to me.... It is a contact closure out for arc ok to input mesa card.


Just my observation.
Last edit: 17 May 2019 17:44 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2019 15:19 - 20 May 2019 15:31 #134364 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
Updated game plan. Note that with Mesa telling me a relay on arc start isn't necessary I did not include it (yet).

Last edit: 20 May 2019 15:31 by AgentWD40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2019 03:03 #134433 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
All right, you guys talked me into it. I need to reconfigure arc start to at least physically open the circuit when I hit estop...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2019 03:33 - 21 May 2019 03:36 #134438 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
So far i know linuxcnc will clear all output's when you hit a internal or external software e-stop. Is this not the case?
WIch config did you loaded?
Have you modified the e-stop circuit in hal?
Last edit: 21 May 2019 03:36 by Grotius.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2019 13:44 #134478 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
Honestly, I havn't explored the software estop yet. But I'd rather have a hardware estop when it's so easy to implement. Unless y'all can give me a reason not to of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2019 20:29 #134528 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD

AgentWD40 wrote: All right, you guys talked me into it. I need to reconfigure arc start to at least physically open the circuit when I hit estop...


That is not necessary. As long as you use M3/M5 to turn the torch on and off, Linuxcnc will turn the torch off on estop. But if you use another signal eg M64 or M65, then the torch will remain on after an estop which I found using an experimental branch tha tthis was not a good idea!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 11:11 - 22 May 2019 12:05 #134566 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD
Pins 12 and 14 doesn't look right to me. Your applying power to an input in the plasma that is expecting a dry contact closure and you running it into the mesa card.

You sure you want to do this?

/EDIT Sorry I am wrong, I think that is an ARC OK output signal.
Last edit: 22 May 2019 12:05 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 14:08 - 22 May 2019 14:18 #134580 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD

rodw wrote:

AgentWD40 wrote: All right, you guys talked me into it. I need to reconfigure arc start to at least physically open the circuit when I hit estop...


That is not necessary. As long as you use M3/M5 to turn the torch on and off, Linuxcnc will turn the torch off on estop. But if you use another signal eg M64 or M65, then the torch will remain on after an estop which I found using an experimental branch tha tthis was not a good idea!


In my *very limited* experience I've been taught to configure estops to physically open circuits for safety. Relying on software estop only increases the possibilities for estop error due to misconfig like you just pointed out. But it sounds like we don't need to take that approach here? After all, I'm only using nema 17's, it's not as though they're going to take flight off the table...

I suppose I could just wire 24v straight to an input pin and when the 24v power switch goes off it'll trigger software estop.
Last edit: 22 May 2019 14:18 by AgentWD40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 14:09 #134581 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Wiring 7i96 and THCAD

bevins wrote: Pins 12 and 14 doesn't look right to me. Your applying power to an input in the plasma that is expecting a dry contact closure and you running it into the mesa card.

You sure you want to do this?

/EDIT Sorry I am wrong, I think that is an ARC OK output signal.


Yeah, it's the arc OK signal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum