Ditching 25 pin bob

More
07 Feb 2020 00:52 #156670 by Gaunt1969
Replied by Gaunt1969 on topic Ditching 25 pin bob
I went with the 7i96 and all I can say is wow.

I had some hiccups upgrading linux cnc. But the card was easy to set up and it double my speed. Right away with the first jog you could tell the signal output whas much cleaner than the parallel bob just from the sound.
I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I had got one of these from the start.

If anyone is reading this and wondering if the ethernet card is worth the extra money over the parallel bob, buy it and dont look back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, AgentWD40, BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2020 01:10 #156671 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Ditching 25 pin bob
Good to hear mate, they certainly are the dogs bollocks.

More
07 Feb 2020 01:22 #156672 by AgentWD40
Replied by AgentWD40 on topic Ditching 25 pin bob
My only experience with linuxcnc is with using the 7i96. I've had people wince at the price tag of it over a regular b.o.b. It's validating to see feedback like yours!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
07 Feb 2020 03:54 #156674 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Ditching 25 pin bob

My only experience with linuxcnc is with using the 7i96. I've had people wince at the price tag of it over a regular b.o.b. It's validating to see feedback like yours!

x 2 but with the 7i76. ( the 7i96 I have here is still crying out to be given a job...)

I think over the years I have seen a few posts where people have echoed the comments as Gaunt1969 has about the upgrade from a BoB.....

I still think the cost is very low in comparison with those that follow a Windows path....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Feb 2020 16:28 #156706 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Ditching 25 pin bob

I went with the 7i96 and all I can say is wow.

I had some hiccups upgrading linux cnc. But the card was easy to set up and it double my speed. Right away with the first jog you could tell the signal output whas much cleaner than the parallel bob just from the sound.
I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I had got one of these from the start.

If anyone is reading this and wondering if the ethernet card is worth the extra money over the parallel bob, buy it and dont look back.

I've use both Mesa cards and parallel port machines. And my opinion on the subject is this. While the Mesa products are excellent, and well worth their cost. There are plenty of CNC application where their cost just isn't justified. For example a basic 3 or 4 axis router with stepper motors and without too high of a step count (1000-2000 steps/inch) software stepping with a parallel port is more than adequate, and there shouldn't be any significant performance benefits from switching to a Mesa card. Now if you throw in high step resolutions and/or high speed servos, now the benefits become much more worthwhile.

I do not notice any smoothness issues on any of my parallel port machines, but I am running PCs with very good latency on those parallel port machines (less than 15us worst case and average jitters well under 10us.)

More
07 Feb 2020 16:55 #156707 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ditching 25 pin bob
I have to agree with Todd, the parallel port is very usable up to a certain point and very reliable.
But when using big stepper motors with lots of microstepping to mitigate the vibrations they cause, the the price of Mesa boards is so small that it is not worth thinking about it. With the added versatility and expandability, there is absolutely no way anyone can justify saying they are expensive.
Also, they have the best support on planet earth, bar none!
Thank you PCW and the Mesa team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
09 Feb 2020 17:05 #156892 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic Ditching 25 pin bob
100% agree. Replacing the BOB with a 7i96 was one of the best upgrades.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds