Plasma/Mesa Guru's

More
29 May 2011 21:30 #10167 by austin.mn
Replied by austin.mn on topic Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's
Thanks John, I will have a look at one of those center punches. I hadn't even thought of them. I have seen plenty of people use the air scribes, but this sounds like it could be a bit quicker. You should be able to drop that down with an air cylinder quite quickly. As apposed to gently lowering an air scribe.

I will go change that touch off file now. I haven't even looked at it since I started using it.

Very cool thank you again.

Austin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2011 21:39 #10168 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's
austin.mn wrote:

I decided to have a little fun seeing how fast the machine can get. I was really, really surprised. It just kept going faster

It is very hard to get up to theoretical speed with a parport, as that last increment from two base periods per step to one base period per step requires an instantaneous doubling of speed.
In practice you probably stall at about 10 base periods per step.
The same issue exists in theory with the hardware stepgens, but as that is in the Mhz there just aren't any steppers that can get there.

More
29 May 2011 22:09 #10172 by austin.mn
I am afraid that is a bit over my head.... but I do get that a parallel port just can't do what the high speed pci card from mesa can do. I am definitely going to have to consider switching my other machines over to the mesa cards. I may have to wait until my bank accounts grow a little bit though.

In other news, I had the speed in the touchoff subroutine file at F10, switched it to F60 and now the touch off takes about a second or less........ it's pretty much instant compared to how it was.

More
04 Aug 2011 21:54 #12193 by austin.mn
I seem to be running into another issue. Is there a way to change the speed at which the Z axis jumps from the THC being in control and not. I am loosing position there badly. Not too noticeable on a part with two pierces, but when there is thirty it is a real issue.

It seems to me that when the THC is in control of the Z its running around the part and everything is fine, then when the torch is turned off it tries to Jump to the position it thinks it should be at and I am loosing steps there. So with an inch of rapid travel height, after the first cut it is pretty close to an inch, then after the 4th or 5th cut when it has gradually gotten closer to the part to the point where the torch is dragging across the steel plate being cut. I also seem to be experiencing quite a bit of overshoot with the Z on THC. I put a flag on dual shaft stepper I am using for the Z and the entire time the part is cutting it is just fluttering back and forth. So the dead band I tried to put in isn't really doing much. With the Z loosing position so bad I am unable to use the Z inhibit when cornering. It seems that it too want to jump the Z to a new position, which looses the Z position. I am currently running a 425oz Nema 23 motor with a 10tpi screw on the Z. Which means the Z motor really has to turn fast to move the Z much. I have another Z axis that I was thinking would probably make a pretty good difference on my setup. It has a 2tpi multi start Kerk screw in it. If I can find the time to make a mount for it this weekend I will give it a shot. But any ideas would be helpful.

More
05 Aug 2011 18:14 - 05 Aug 2011 20:48 #12226 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's
The Z offset is gradually removed when the THC is enabled and the torch is off as you move the torch in the positive Z direction until no offset is left. As soon as the torch goes off do you rapid the Z up?

Remind me what version of EMC your using...

John
Last edit: 05 Aug 2011 20:48 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Aug 2011 14:36 #12239 by BigJohnT
I've been having some discussion with Peter on changing the comp a bit to give it a P term and a cap on correction. When I get that done you can try that out to see if it corrects the symptoms your seeing.

John

More
06 Aug 2011 18:46 #12254 by austin.mn
I really wish that I had my machine in my own garage... at the moment I have to drive across town to get any of the info you need. I will do that at some point today.

One very noticeable thing that happens is when I click the THC box on and off after cutting a part the Z tries to jump about an inch or so. It never gets to move anywhere near how far it wants to move as it looses steps on it way. You can hear the motor getting about a zillion pulses per second.

I will be grabbing one of my GCode files and writting down the Version of EMC2. Anything else I could get while I am there to make diagnostics a little easier just let me know.

More
06 Aug 2011 18:59 #12258 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's
austin.mn wrote:

One very noticeable thing that happens is when I click the THC box on and off after cutting a part the Z tries to jump about an inch or so. It never gets to move anywhere near how far it wants to move as it looses steps on it way.

That indicates that the Stepgen Max accel and Max velocity are not set correctly. if they are configured in the INI file then you might need to check that they are also linked in the HAL file.

More
06 Aug 2011 19:14 #12259 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's
Pretty sure theres a bug in the THC comp that may cause a jump on torch-off. John is fixing this I believe.

More
06 Aug 2011 20:30 #12262 by BigJohnT
I can guarantee that your using 2.4.6 or older now that I think about it. There is a bug fix that I pushed on 4/22/2011 that would not be out yet since the last bug fix release for 2.4 was on 11/26/2010... so when you disable the THC component the commanded position is suddenly set back to the original commanded position because it never gets removed.

So you have a couple of options

1 copy the thc.comp to your computer and run sudo comp --install thc.comp from the command line to get the fixed one...

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...2f8cce984b9a;hb=HEAD

2 get a git copy and use a RIP (Run In Place)

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins..._or_8_04_from_source

3 get the 2.5 deb and install that.

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

4 wait a bit till I add the P-Term and then do one of the above

John

John

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds