Board to replace built-in driver board on old zCorp 310 ZPrinter?

More
23 Mar 2021 04:51 #203348 by 3DTOPO
I have a pretty ancient zCorp 310 3D powder printer.

All of the axes are in good working order, but something is causing a fault and not much I can do about it. So I would like to install a new board and control it with LinuxCNC and convert it from an inkjet binder 3D printer to a laser powder 3D printer and laser cutter.

I replaced one of the servos on the axis faulting and was crazy over priced because they are no longer made. This one of the servos:

www.servocomponents.com/Pittman-Brush-Mo...0-series/9233e511-r1

Other servos are similar (I think a bit smaller). I don't know anything about the servo more than what is shown above - it has an encoder but do not know the details.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the machine working - works fine until it faults sometimes hours into a print:

By the way - it would be really awesome if LinuxCNC supported any kind of inkjet head?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2021 18:18 #203416 by aleksamc
From your reference to the motor, it's realy nothing clearified, there is no datasheet or other characteristics of it.
Make photos of your motors, define, how many cables and how many wires in each cable you have.
make photo of control cabinet, what drives control your motors.

Also the same for your laser head.

More
23 Mar 2021 19:53 #203422 by 3DTOPO
Thank you, that is a great suggestion. Will do after I have some time to take the machine apart.

There is very little I can find on the subject, but I did find someone that has apparently switch the controller to a Teensy 3.5. He seems unwilling to share very much more information than this:

I am using a Teensy 3.5. They are fast enough with plenty of resources and they are tolerant to 5V TTL level, which is what the Xaar head and all the motor drivers want.

I guess Xaar head support would be good but not a requirement for what I want to do with the machine.

I don't yet have a laser picked out for it - want motion control first. I'm thinking it will be a little 20W solid state with TTL.

More
23 Mar 2021 22:45 #203456 by andypugh
I think Bari has experience with printheads. Whether he will see this I don't know.

More
25 Mar 2021 20:23 #203637 by 3DTOPO
Interesting, thanks Andy.

I found this on how to control a HP45 printhead:
ytec3d.com/hp45-inkjet-printhead/

Not sure if he is still selling them but he had some breakout boards for it. Downloadable models and schematics:
ytec3d.com/hp45-breakout/

Apparently the servo drivers run on 5V TTL. Anyone have suggestions on what to use to control them?

More
27 Mar 2021 17:17 #203815 by andypugh
When you say "5V TTL" do you mean step-dir or PWM or something serial?

More
28 Mar 2021 09:47 #203872 by aleksamc
Really, I can't anderstand how such kind of printers make 3D. It's simple head from inkjet printer. But what it do with that powder?
Does that powder is plastic?

I saw 3d printers that use lasers to heat metal powder in such principle.

More
28 Mar 2021 09:55 #203873 by andypugh
The head sprays a binder, basically a thin glue.
The items produced might not be very strong. We had a printer at work about 20 years ago that used cornflour as the powder. You could assemble parts and look at concepts, but the result was far from making functional components.

More
28 Mar 2021 10:14 #203874 by aleksamc
Thanks, I anderstand this. It could be used for molding, for example. Very convinient, I think.

More
28 Mar 2021 23:10 - 28 Mar 2021 23:10 #203959 by 3DTOPO

When you say "5V TTL" do you mean step-dir or PWM or something serial?

Unfortunately I am just going off what was posted by someone that switched the controller to a Teensy - I don't know much more than that. I'll post some pics of the controller when I get it opened up.

Thanks, I anderstand this. It could be used for molding, for example. Very convinient, I think.

Exactly what I want to print - molds for metal casting. It is possible to use a sand binder such as sodium silicate that binds sand for direct use for casting even molten steel. There are some large format sand printers on the market.

If I put a laser on it it would be possible to print plastic powders too (like Formlabs $10,000+ Fuse 1) - and in theory I could even print metal powders directly with a powerful enough laser.

Also with a laser a I could sinter ceramic molds from alumina and zirconia which is an even better mold than sand - eg zirconia molds can be used to cast titanium.

Same machine would double as a laser cutter too - very versatile.

Powder printers are really neat because they don't require any supports (the powder supports itself), and you can stack jobs one on top of the other so long as it fits in the volume.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2021 23:10 by 3DTOPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aleksamc

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds