7i76e and 2.2Kw spindle connection help

More
04 Apr 2021 00:32 #204695 by kb8wmc
This is a router table build for a friend started last October and slow going through the winter months here in Michigan...But we have managed to get the machine moving well and the time has come to finalize by connecting the spindle...Here is where we are as of now...We can turn the spindle on and off, it starts and goes up to a fixed RPM, it can also be shutdown on command...We are able to turn it on and off using the gui buttons in axis as well as M3, M5 commands in MDI mode...The spindle is 2.2 KW Ugra (no encoder) and the VFD is a Delta EL...
What we are not able to do is control the RPM's of the spindle, and our best guess is that we are missing some simple commands or have not connected the correct pins in HAL to allow control...We are uncertain of what the variables are to drive PWM generator, the PWM generator to PID, and the PID to the 7i76e.0.0 output connection...It appears to us that we don't have proper signal connection somewhere...I have consolidated all that we have done into a spindle.hal file...
I am attaching the spindle.hal file and the .ini file...We would like for it to run via PWM, but as you can see by the kludged spindle.hal file there are probably syntax that has been added unnecessarily and probably is missing necessary syntax...
Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 02:16 #204704 by PCW
Is there some reason you are not using the 7I76Es analog spindle output?

More
04 Apr 2021 04:13 #204709 by kb8wmc
PCW, The answer is no, the only reason we are not using analog output, is that we did not understand how to set it up, and have not found any examples to follow along with to get it running...Our thought were along the lines that PWM was the way to go, but we are certainly open to any other method that will get this machine up and going...
Where do we start looking for good examples that we can follow?...

Thanks for your quick response...
Mike

More
04 Apr 2021 12:15 #204749 by chris@cnc
Hi Mike,
one usable example for wiring.
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3537...to-mesa-7i76e#200464
And here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...delta-c2000?start=0#
or search "analog spindle 7i76e"
But check manual of your VDF.
For hal and ini use PNcconf to generate config. This should be work for basic configuration.
If will not work let us know.

More
04 Apr 2021 20:26 #204808 by kb8wmc
Chris, thanks for your reply and links...I have been reading them over, one of them I think I remember reading before...My friend advised me that I did not present the question properly and thus it is insufficient for someone to respond to...Apologize for that... I am providing his comments to me in hopes of an answer from someone in here...IMHO we have the vfd and 7i76e all correctly wired and operating up to the point where we want to control the RPM's and we believe our hal file is not correct...

" We are using the analog output on tb4, that is the digital potentiometer.
We can program it to 8,6vdc to 0vdc by adjusting the variables. and the vfd changes 133 to 400 as the specs for the vfd specifies.
The vfd is programmed correctly to respond to 0 to 10vdc. verified with a potentiometer connected directly.
WE must be missing one of these commands: "

Thanks in advance
Mike

More
04 Apr 2021 23:51 #204828 by PCW
Is the VFDs 10V output actually 10V when the 7I76E is commanding full speed?

Normally you would set the output scale to the maximum spindle RPM
so when you command the maximum spindle RPM, the output is 100%
of the VFDs output voltage on its 10V terminal

More
05 Apr 2021 13:20 #204896 by kb8wmc
PCW, I had to call my friend to find out the voltage we were getting to the spindle because I could not remember...He says it was measured at 8.6V...I believe we understand how the voltage scale is setup and working at this time...
My friend has suggested that we add to the spindle.hal commands "motion.xxx" which are not presently included in any of our hal syntax...

Mike

More
05 Apr 2021 13:31 #204899 by PCW
pncconf will set up all the spindle connections. I would update LinuxCNC to the latest
release version (2.8.1) and re-run pncconf

More
05 Apr 2021 20:39 #204963 by Mike_Eitel
If you do not reach tge expected voltage:
I remember somebody had the problem that the potentiometer was in parallel to the vfd bornes. He had to take out a jumper...
Mike

More
07 Apr 2021 03:07 #205225 by kb8wmc
PCW, The machine is already running version 8.1...We worked on machine for a couple hours today...Testing shows that my report of 8.6 volts was incorrect, we are actually seeing 9.6 V at the VFD...With the command line in Show Hal Configuration it was determined that the RMP's are almost linear from 2000 to 19000 RPM...The spindle can be started and stopped from the Axis interface buttons and MDI commands M3 & M5...But we are still unable to increase and decrease the RPM through Axis interface or MDI...We have diligently searched and compared examples of hal and ini files for the hal pin/command that allows us to send a commanded voltage/RPM to the spindle and come up without a clue...The spindle is stuck on whatever voltage/RPM that it is getting...I am guessing that when we get it working that the answer will be something stupidly silly...I have run the PNCConf twice before to no avail, but will run it again...

@Mike_Eitel, Mike, we can live with the voltage we are presently getting (9.6+V)...I talked with my friend and he assured me that we are only running the 7i76e potentiomer, but I am going to do more research...

Thank you both for your input...

Mike

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds