Pairing up Mesa 7i76e with VFD Delta C2000

More
06 Oct 2018 13:40 #118491 by vmihalca
Hi Guys,

I bought a Syil X7 milling machine, without a controller and I would like to convert it to linuxcnc.
I specifically required that I should be able to do rigid taping and spindle orientation, so they have added a motor that has a resolver on it. The VFD is a Delta C2000.
I think Mesa 7i76e can control the speed of the VFD using a 0-10v signal, but I don't know to input into linuxcnc the data collected from the resolver in order to do rigid taping. Is Mesa7i76e able to read that resolver input?

Thanks,
Vasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2018 15:31 #118494 by PCW
The 7I76E cannot read resolvers, only quadrature encoders via its encoder input or SSI/BISS encoders via its serial expansion port. You can get resolver to quadrature converters but it may be cheaper to just replace the resolver with a standard quadrature encoder.

More
07 Oct 2018 18:17 #118514 by vmihalca
I thought you will mention about this board:
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=101

So if I understand correctly, in order to do rigid taping and spindle orientation with Mesa 7i76e I would need an encoder input?

More
07 Oct 2018 18:50 #118516 by PCW
The 7I49 will not work with the 7I76E (well not easily anyway as its meant to interface to 50 pin I/O FPGA cards)

Yes, for rigid tapping and spindle orientation you need some kind of encoder. the 7I76E supports one quadrature encoder input for this purpose.

More
07 Oct 2018 18:59 #118517 by vmihalca
And how does it tell back to the spindle motor how to rotate on a specific orientation? Is the Mesa7i76e gonna control the VFD through 0-10v signal for rigid taping?

More
07 Oct 2018 20:54 #118518 by PCW
Yes the 7I76E has a 0-10V output for VFD control
There's also direction output

More
08 Oct 2018 12:37 #118539 by andypugh
Are you sure that it is a resolver on the motor and not an encoder?
This sounds like a new-build and resolvers are pretty unusual now.

What is the power rating of the spindle drive? The STMBL servo drive can drive induction motors and it can also decode resolver position in to LinuxCNC smart-serial data. But it's not easy to get hold of one of the drives and they can only really drive 2kW or so.

Pico do a resolver-to-quadrature converter: pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_...eo9kgm97cpat6aeiu521 But it is more expensive than an encoder.

More
02 Nov 2018 19:45 #119846 by vmihalca
My drive is a Delta C2000
www.deltaacdrives.com/wp-content/uploads...2000-User-Manual.pdf

I understand that there are two ways I can control this motor. The simplest would be 0-10v, but I would get no feedback regarding the load.
And another one would be modbus. I think I read somewhere that mesa 7i76e supports modbus.
I'm new to all these...so can anyone of you guide me on how to start controling that VFD with 0.10v signals? I don't know exactly what settings I need to do in the hal file or how to wire them exactly to Mesa 7i76e.

Thanks in advance!
Vasi

More
02 Nov 2018 22:37 #119856 by andypugh
I don't think there is any support for Modbus through a Mesa card (yet).
Most people using Modbus and a VFD use a cheap USB to Modbus adaptor. (and lose hard real-time spindle control, but that's generally OK).
Does this look like it might help?

For 0-10V control, you would connect as any other VFD to the 7i76 VFD control outputs.
Nice picture here (looks to be from a different thread)
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3537...wiring-to-mesa-7i76e

More
02 Jan 2019 19:04 #123350 by vmihalca
Hi Andy,

I wired the VFD to the board as described in the picture that you referred above.
What lines do I need to add to the HAL and INI files in order to talk with the vfd.

Thanks,
Vasi

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds