Pairing up Mesa 7i76e with VFD Delta C2000

More
19 Jan 2019 17:52 #124444 by vmihalca
I have finally wired up the encoder to the mesa board, and in the hal scope I can see inputs from encoder-a, encoder-b and index (hope i remember their name correctly).
Now that I have an input of how fast the spindle is actually turning, what settings do I need to do in order to have a closed loop system.
Right now, the speed that I set via M3/M4 S1000 does not match the actual speed of the drive.
Below 3k rpm, if the actual speed is lower than the commanded speed, and above 3k the actual speed is higher than the commanded speed.
Also, I would like to be able to do rigid taping, now that I have an encoder feedback.

Thanks! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2019 13:27 #124526 by andypugh
You could correct the spindle speed open-loop with "lincurve" but as you are specifically talking about closed loop...

You need a PID hal component. Does your HAL already contain any PID components? (there might even be a spindle one already)

More
23 Jan 2019 21:46 #124684 by vmihalca
It seems to me that I have a PID component added, please see the hal file below.
What else I'm I missing? Since I have an ABZ encoder feedback, I would like to have rigid tapping and spindle orientation.

Also in the ini file i have:
#********************
# Spindle
#********************
[SPINDLE_9]
P = 0
I = 0
D = 0
FF0 = 1
FF1 = 0
FF2 = 0
BIAS = 0
DEADBAND = 0
MAX_OUTPUT = 10000
ENCODER_SCALE = 4000.0
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2019 22:21 #124687 by PCW
The PID component is there but its has been bypassed in the hal file
that is the hardware spindle output pin is connected to motions spindle speed command rather than the PID output

In addition, the encoder velocity feedback path (with scaling if you want everything to be scaled in RPS) is missing

What version of pncconf are you using? I was pretty sure the current version does better than this for setting up spindle control

More
25 Jan 2019 15:56 #124825 by vmihalca
I have not made any settings related to the spindle from the pncconf UI because I could not find anything related to the spindle there. I am using 2.7.14 version of emc2
Also I was thinking that gmoccapy would be more handy for me so I tried to create a new configuration using gmoccapy as a screen, but I can;t find gmocappy.
Please advice!

More
28 Jan 2019 07:44 #125046 by vmihalca
With the help of youtube user talla83, I have managed to do the hal settings to enable rigid tapping and now its working.
But I still have the issue with the commanded speed vs actual speed.
I have measured the VFD output and its 10.64V not 10V
I have set the:
spinout−minlim 0
spinout−maxlim 9000
spinout−scalemax 9000

Do I have to step down the VFD voltage from 10.64v to 10.00 in order to work correctly? When I have tested with a lab power supply, the speeds are matching the input voltage very precisely.

More
28 Jan 2019 13:15 #125070 by andypugh

Do I have to step down the VFD voltage from 10.64v to 10.00 in order to work correctly? When I have tested with a lab power supply, the speeds are matching the input voltage very precisely.

Just tweaking the scalemax should do the trick.

The next step after that would be a compensation curve (lincurve) and then after that closed-loop spindle speed control with a PID.

But it might not matter. I don't know about you, but I guess spindle speeds approximately anyway, and then tweak up and down on the override until I like what I see.

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds