What to put control board in?

More
16 Apr 2021 13:10 #206103 by MattK
Replied by MattK on topic What to put control board in?
after looking at JohnnyCNC's response seeing a cabinet jacked full of goodies I thought it might be wise to layout items and see how much space things would require before purchasing a case.

I made wires (long) for a bunch of the components and laid them out on a board, I made up a bunch of shielded cables and aircraft connectors (I am horrible at soldering) which leads to more questions

Do any of these components need to be setup in a specific configuration for maximum cooling?
Since the output cables are shielded, do I need any shielding on the input cable?

photos.app.goo.gl/6ZzRhb4tuxTSY7Nd9

thanks in advance for your advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2021 22:51 #206142 by andypugh
VFDs and drives typically specify how much space they need around them.

If the drive has fins, then their long axis should be vertical.

Your spacing in the photo is very generous, you can certainly make it narrower. But the drives should probabaly be oriented differently.

More
17 Apr 2021 23:23 - 17 Apr 2021 23:25 #206238 by JohnnyCNC

after looking at JohnnyCNC's response seeing a cabinet jacked full of goodies I thought it might be wise to layout items and see how much space things would require before purchasing a case.

I made wires (long) for a bunch of the components and laid them out on a board, I made up a bunch of shielded cables and aircraft connectors (I am horrible at soldering) which leads to more questions

Do any of these components need to be setup in a specific configuration for maximum cooling?
Since the output cables are shielded, do I need any shielding on the input cable?

photos.app.goo.gl/6ZzRhb4tuxTSY7Nd9

thanks in advance for your advice

That is what I did. I found a cabinet that would fit my space and budget. Then I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the cabinet and started laying out all the components. One of the recommendations I got was to try and keep the high voltage items together and away from the low voltage. Everything in my cabinet runs on 240V. The 240 volt line voltage comes in the top left of the cabinet and is kept to the top and middle right f the cabinet as much as possible. The middle level is the 48 volt for the steppers and bottom is the 24 volt to the Mesa card and everything connected to it. The drive for the spindle motor was an upgrade that was added later and my cabinet was not deep enough to mount it endwise like your stepper drives. I had to lay the drive flat with the fins vertical as Andy suggested. I have the drive on stand-offs so I could mount line filters under the drive. I have a fan in the top of the case and another in the bottom left. The air in the cabinet never even gets the slightest bit warm.
I would also recommend using DIN rail to mount everything thing. It makes later adjustments to the position of component very easy.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2021 23:25 by JohnnyCNC.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds