Help please - trying to get started

More
27 Apr 2021 13:31 - 27 Apr 2021 13:34 #207222 by PCW
You do not need to do anything with bitfiles (or any files) for pncconf to setup the 7I73 on a 7I76E

My test machine uses a RTL8192 type USB WIFI dongle and it works fine
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 13:34 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2021 13:45 #207223 by andypugh

Except pncconfig now doesn't recognize the 7i73. -readhmid shows the 7i73 ports, but pncconfig won't create the 7i73's ports when I run it.

I would have to fire up pncconf when I next get to a Linux machine to see where (or if) you would expect to be able to configure a 7i73 in pncconf. The source-code is definitely aware of their existence (having just checked)

I download the mesa firmware (again, 'cause I greased the PC). I unzip it to the linuxcnc folder. Mesaflash throws up because it cant find any files. Fine, i copy the 7i76 and sserial folders to the mesaflash directory.
And then pncconfig complains that it can't find the .bit files because they aren't in some lib/hm2/whatever folder. And that folder doesn't exist. So I try to make one, only I have to root to make a damn folder.

i can explain that, but not necessarily excuse it. The reason is that kernel drivers (such as the LinuxCNC realtime layer) are not allowed access to the file system. There is one exception, and that is the lib/firmware directory (as obviously drivers need to be able to read firmware). The older generation of Mesa cards (5i20, 7i43 etc) needed to upload a firmware the FPGA every time they booted, so the firmware _had_ to be in lib/firmware.
The newer cards (5i25, 7i76E, 5i23 etc) store the firmware on a flash chip and automatically load it. These need programming with Mesaflash. I am a little surprised that Mesaflash doesn't look in lib/firmware/hm2 though.
For the cards that don't need firmware PnCConf can sometimes use internal data, but only for firmwares that have been specifically converted and included. Otherwise it uses the ,pin files.

So I copy them there. And now pncconfig shuts up about the missing bit files, but the firmware doesn't show up in pncconfig and it doesn't recognize the 7i73.

Probably simplest to have the bitfiles in both places, sadly.
You actually only need to have the old-style ones in /lib/firmware and the newer ones where mesaflash can find them. But the only way to know which is which is to be PCW :-)

More
27 Apr 2021 14:03 - 27 Apr 2021 14:03 #207227 by PCW
For a 7I76E and a 7I73, you don't need any bitfile/external files for 7I73
setup via pncconf, you just select the "7I73 pendant mode 1" option from
the sserial channel 1 menus on the I/O connector 1 tab.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 14:03 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

More
27 Apr 2021 15:19 #207237 by spumco

Go out and have a coffee then come back and start from the beginning but this time one by one, i.e. make the 7i76 work properly then attack the 7i73 etc etc.
Trying to do everything at once usually ends up in frustration.
Very cheap wifi dongles work most of the time on Linux, wifi6 ones have issues with RT kernels, mine keeps dropping the link at random... :(

Good plan. I got some sleep, now have coffee in me, and I'm ready to have another go.

Wifi seems to be fixed now. I had another computer nearby and I think the Odroid and other PC were competing for the same 2.4g channel. Once I forced the other PC on to 5ghz the signal on the Odroid stabilized.

More
27 Apr 2021 15:26 #207240 by spumco

I am a little surprised that Mesaflash doesn't look in lib/firmware/hm2 though.

I don't know about mesaflash, but pncconfig did look for lib/firmware/hm2, but that folder didn't exist and I got an error message. I did a global search for 'hm2' and there was no folder on the computer with that name.

That's when I manually created the folder and copied the bit files in to it. I didn't need to re-flash the 7i76ed since I realized I could use a step & dir control scheme for my servo spindle drive - so the only thing I used mesaflash for was to check communications with the -readhmid command. And that worked (i.e. mesaflash can 'see' the board).

More
27 Apr 2021 15:32 #207241 by spumco

For a 7I76E and a 7I73, you don't need any bitfile/external files for 7I73
setup via pncconf, you just select the "7I73 pendant mode 1" option from
the sserial channel 1 menus on the I/O connector 1 tab.

Ahh. Just found it lurking on that tab in the drop-down list... completely overlooked it. But unless you click the drop-down, there's nothing to indicate that field is for option cards - unless you already know that "SSERIAL-P1-TX" means "add-on option cards" in English.

I knew it was my fault. We'll see how this goes now.

Thank you all for your monumental patience.

More
30 Apr 2021 22:51 #207504 by andypugh

unless you already know that "SSERIAL-P1-TX" means "add-on option cards" in English.

I knew it was my fault. We'll see how this goes now

No, I don't think that is reallly your fault. That header really could be a little clearer. Though I doubt that your name is in the top ten of what others would be looking for. "smart serial card 1" would work for me. I have no idea if that would be obvious to anyone else.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds