I need super basic Help with Hardware choices

More
23 Jun 2021 11:37 #212730 by andypugh
Also look at the Mesa 7c80 and 7c81 as the Pi plugs directly in to those.
But the Ethernet options are cheaper if you consider that the 7c81 still needs adapting to wire to the stepper drivers.

Do you currently own a PC that you can experiment with? If you do then that would point towards the ethernet solutions. Though personally I prefer the directness of PCI (If I was building a plasma cutter I would consider that direct connection a bad thing, and definitely go ethernet then, for the isolation)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2021 14:26 #212748 by Aaroncnc
bit off topic but is there any advantage in pci vs spi vs ethernet on the mesa cards?

I feel the spi are is for things that lack the first 2 as they seem to come at a higher price point and more hassle.

More
24 Jun 2021 13:58 #212824 by andypugh

I feel the spi are is for things that lack the first 2 as they seem to come at a higher price point and more hassle.

Basically, yes.

But functionally they all work very much the same. With the odd exception that I think that the EPP parallel port controlled cards (7i43 for example) actually run at a faster base clock than the others.
However there is no reason to choose one interface over another except for convenience of connecting.

More
24 Jun 2021 14:16 #212826 by BeagleBrainz
I chose the Ethernet option as I feel, as long as Linuxcnc supports the platform, more or less platform agnostic. And possibly available on a wider range of platforms.
I’m also of the opinion Ethernet ports will be around for a while, barring some laptop type machines. In all fairness I usually wrong more times than right. And a bit of a Luddite, as I miss watching the screamers of the 500cc days, more so than the “easy to ride” Big Bang engines.

More
24 Jun 2021 19:46 #212844 by robins

The 7196 has 11 inputs and 6 outputs (there are expansion cards for future upgrades.)
And the 7i76e has 32 inputs and 16 outputs
Both can drive 5 stepper or servo motors.

Hello, I'm just leaning about Mesa cards and wanted to clarify your comment about using both of these (7i96 & 7i76e) with stepper and servo. That wouldn't include analogue servo drives (+/-10V) would it? Or just the newer servo drives that work with step/dir?

Thanks,
Robin

More
24 Jun 2021 20:04 #212846 by PCW
The 7I76E and 7I96 are primarily for step/dir systems

For analog servos, a 7I97 or a 7I92 or 6I25 + a 7I77
are options

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds