7i97 hookup help

More
04 Jul 2022 06:05 #246560 by Kylizer
7i97 hookup help was created by Kylizer
Ive posted this before and tried almost everything people suggested but still not getting the result I want. I am just trying to enable and disable my amplifiers. They are normally on and when I ground out the inhibit wire it shuts them off. How Should I hook them to the 7i97 to work as proper? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2022 07:49 #246561 by Tinine
Replied by Tinine on topic 7i97 hookup help
I always prefer dry contacts for enables.

These are all over eBay... 
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2022 13:37 #246580 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic 7i97 hookup help
Using pen and paper, draw electrical diagrams over the connections you've tried. Make sure to include the internals of the amplifier input and 7i97 output - i.e. if your amp inputs are opto-coupler type include the LED in the diagram, and include the transistor output of the 7i97. Make sure you understand how these work (use e.g. Wikipedia and then ask here if you need clarifications). Then follow the current to see what you've done wrong and how to fix it.

More
04 Jul 2022 15:21 #246582 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i97 hookup help
I would use an external SPDT relay  driven by either a 7I97 SSR output or an enable output
It either case you must have a flyback diode across the relay coil. Then connect the relay
common to ground and the relay NC contact to all enable inputs.

Note that the 7I97 enable outputs have a 100 mA current limit, this typically
means you must use a 12 or 24V relay with these outputs.

I would verify relay operation  and flyback diode polarity first
by powering the relay/diode directly from 12/24V power

More
06 Jul 2022 21:59 #246759 by Kylizer
Replied by Kylizer on topic 7i97 hookup help
So I need to do all that just to trigger the amps on and off? I mean it just one little wire that comes off of it. Im trying to think if it ran through a relay originally. I kinda thought that since all i need to do it ground the wire to turn the amps off that I could just do something like run the kill wire to one of the enables and the other enable would have a wire going to ground and power for all this would come from the boards power supply? Is this thinking way off?

More
06 Jul 2022 22:58 - 06 Jul 2022 22:59 #246764 by PCW
Yes, because you need a normally on circuit.
A simple SPDT 12/24V control relay is probably the easiest way.

You _may_ be able to kludge this with a stiff pulldown resistor on the drive
enable so its normally disabled, and then use a 7I97 enable or SSR output to
pull the enable up. You would need to measure the enabled (open circuit) voltage
to determine what to connect the driving circuit to.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2022 22:59 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kylizer

More
07 Jul 2022 07:15 #246782 by Kylizer
Yes, idk if you suggested that the first time but someone on here did and I did just that with no luck. I have a 330ohm resistor on each of the inhibit wires to turnt he amps on and off. At first I had it hooked to 5v this way but then switched to 12v but with no luck. The amps still come on right when I turn everything on. I need them to be dead and then enable in linuxcnc

More
07 Jul 2022 07:25 #246783 by Kylizer
any spdt relay suggestions or a specific type I should be after

More
07 Jul 2022 14:45 #246809 by PCW

Yes, idk if you suggested that the first time but someone on here did and I did just that with no luck. I have a 330ohm resistor on each of the inhibit wires to turnt he amps on and off. At first I had it hooked to 5v this way but then switched to 12v but with no luck. The amps still come on right when I turn everything on. I need them to be dead and then enable in linuxcnc

I would not expect that to work since you must ground the inhibit line to disable the drives.
This means the resistor must go from the inhibit input to ground. Then if you pull-up
the inhibit input with an enable or SSR output it should enable the drives.

More
08 Jul 2022 13:04 #246857 by Kylizer
When you pull up or pull something down does that depend on how its wired or do you think there is ajumper on the board to change this? Also when you say SSR you mean a seperate SSR right? Not something on the 7i97 board?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds