7i97 hookup help

More
13 Jul 2022 20:11 #247250 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic 7i97 hookup help
About SPDT, DPST, DPDT and others:

The first 2 letters  SP or DP are referring to single pole or double poles. This is the very same as for regular manual switches. Single pole is the most basic with a single common terminal and a single normally open terminal. You will find single pole and double poles relays but single pole relays usually only have a normally open (NO) contact while double poles relay will have both a NO and a NC contacts along with a common contact.

The last 2 letter (ST or DT) are referring to single or double throw. A double throw (DT) relay is simply 2 single throw relays mounted together and activated by the same coil. You can of course use only one set of contacts which will result in the very same thing as using a single throw relay. (same as PCW drawing)

If you do a search for 'arduino relay' you will also find multi 'channel' relays. Those are simply multiple relays mounted on a single board. Each relays can be SPST, DPST or DPDT.  (Note that most arduino relays are 5V which will NOT work for this application) 

Here is an example of a 12V relay that would work for you:
(ref: www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Channel-Isolation...rigger/dp/B00LW15D1M)

The contact on the left are NC COM and NO and are rated 10A for up to 30V DC. Well enough for this application

The contact on the right are DC+, DC- and IN. This specific type of module require both DC+ and DC- because it has a led to indicate if it is activated or not and also because it can be activated by a low (gnd) or high (12v) signal. Although not written on the relay itself the description on Amazon specify that this is a 12V relay, meaning that the voltage needed to activate the coil is indeed 12V. The IN contact is where you will connect the "7I77 ENA+". 

You can also see a little jumper with the marking "L" and "H" allowing to have the relay activated with a low or high signal. I believe that in this case you want the jumper to be on the left side (L).

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2022 22:24 #247510 by Kylizer
Replied by Kylizer on topic 7i97 hookup help
Well I got everything hooked up right and it is disabling the drives like it should but when I run linuxcnc when I hit the enable button it doesnt kick them on. Is there something it the hal files I would have to change?

More
16 Jul 2022 23:07 #247515 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i97 hookup help
if you disconnect the enable/analog from the 7I97 (unplug the 4 pin connector)
and the short from ENA+ to ENA- on the connector (that you unplugged from the 7I97),
does the relay operate?

More
18 Jul 2022 13:35 #247664 by Kylizer
Yes it does. I have the same relay posted above and its lit up green and when I short the enables like you said a red led comes on that says. Labeled PWR

More
18 Jul 2022 14:38 #247683 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i97 hookup help
Does the relay click when you short the ENA pins?
are the drives then enabled?

More
19 Jul 2022 22:07 #247793 by Kylizer
Sheesh. Ok so I tried that and no it does not click the relay only the red light comes on but......... I may need to back track and see that everything is wired right because for some reason 1 of the 3 amps is coming on when I have the 4 pin enable/analog unplugged, yet the other 2 are off and the thing is that they are all tied together sooooo? Maybe the one that runs the z is set up different??? Ill double check it all and get that part worked out then see about this relay situation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds