7i76e + 7I73 Help

More
04 Sep 2022 22:15 #251189 by joshwuh
7i76e + 7I73 Help was created by joshwuh
Hello,

I've spent the better part of 3 hours now trying to figure out how all of this comes together, and I've gotten to the point where I think I've just got to ask some questions. I have a 7i76e that I want to use in conjunction with a 7I73 for a pendant. My machine is already up and running with the 7i76e for a couple years now, and I think I've got the pendant wiring all figured out to work with a 4x8 keypad and LCD.

The pendant is currently *not* connected to the 7i76e. I was trying to figure everything out before connecting.

Some details of my journey so far:
  • Page 20 of the 7i76e manual describes how to connect a CAT5/6 cable to TB3 to utilize the RS-422 interface. I got this part down.
  • andypugh's post about "Mesa Card Basics" gave some good starting point details, including making me aware of hostmot2 and mesaflash
  • I found a YouTube video in German that has shown me how to use mesaflash to flash a .bit file to a 7i76e (although - I do not know German so I cannot decipher the words he is saying).
  • I downloaded this .zip file from the mesa website that contains some hostmot2 configs (7i76 + 7i73 does not appear to be one of them)
I'm struggling because I haven't yet found any guidance that presents all pieces of the puzzle for connecting these two devices together. This is what I *think* needs to happen....
  1. It seems like the first step is to make the 7i76e aware that it should expect a 7I73 to be connected to pins 15-20 on TB3. This seems to be the purpose of flashing. When I do
    mesaflash --device 7i76e --addr 10.10.10.10 readhmid
    I get a readout that appears to be the standard response -- it shows 3 "SSerial" values for secondary functions on Pin #7-10 on "on-card", but I do not see how those numbers would correspond to TB3's.
  2. Somehow I need to get the "configuration" of the 7I73 sent over to it. It seems like this is done in HAL? I found this page which makes me think I will have commands in a HAL file that will tell the 7I73 how it is expected to behave.
  3. Somewhere in this whole ordeal I'll need the nonvolatile memory parameter
    .7i73.0.1.nvcontrast
    to be configured so I can set the LCD contrast.
Obviously I have a poor grasp on this, as you can tell. You don't have to spoonfeed me if you don't want to, but could you guys point me to some items to watch/read in sequential order that should tell me everything I need to know to get this going?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2022 22:21 #251190 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help
Correction to above - the readhmid response has 4* SSerial entries. Here are the results of that query:

Warning: Spoiler!

More
04 Sep 2022 23:03 - 05 Sep 2022 03:05 #251192 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help
1. If you make the correct cable and connect the 7I73 to the 7I76E

2. Have 2 or more sserial devices enabled in the hal file:
sserial_port_0=00xx

You should be able to start LinuxCNC and have the 7I73
detected and all its pins/parameters available

Thats it.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2022 03:05 by PCW.

More
05 Sep 2022 03:23 #251200 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help
As it turns out, you are correct... I went out there and wired it up and it worked just as you said.

I wish I understood how. I suppose I've got more reading to do. For the non-volatile parameters such as
.7i73.0.1.nvcontrast
.... to set the default contrast voltage

do you just write those all the same in custom.hal? I guess since it is non-volatile should I theoretically only ever have to do it once then I could take it out of the HAL?

More
05 Sep 2022 03:43 - 05 Sep 2022 03:44 #251201 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help
Yes, if you set the NV parameter you should only do it when you need to change it.

In fact you don't really need to change the NV parameter at all, you can just
set the volatile parameter (hm2_7iXX.0.7i73.0.N.contrast) in the hal file
Last edit: 05 Sep 2022 03:44 by PCW.

More
11 Sep 2022 15:31 #251682 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help

As it turns out, you are correct... I went out there and wired it up and it worked just as you said.
I wish I understood how. 

That's the "smart" part of Smartserial. The 7i76E enquires on the serial port what cards are there, and the cards respond with their card name and what HAL pins they expect to be writing to. 

More
14 Sep 2022 17:53 #251912 by ESanford
Replied by ESanford on topic 7i76e + 7I73 Help
In your custom.hal this is the syntax for changing your contrast voltage:

setp lcd.00.contrast .45

.45 is what worked well for my LCD, but it can be any number from zero to one. Just open your HAL config and use the "test HAL command" input to change it until you find what works best for yours then toss it into your custom.hal

Hope that helps.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds