12V and 5V control board?

More
08 Oct 2022 15:52 #253759 by clayd_lopunk
Hello guys,
i managed to find almost all the necessary signals, to retrofit an old 3 axis machine with linuxcnc.
I'm not very experienced with electricity.
It seems that my inputs are 5V and the outputs are 12V.
Would anyone be able to recommend a card to manage both voltages, or to switch the signals, in order to make them compatible with a card for linuxcnc?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2022 20:15 #253824 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic 12V and 5V control board?
Please post more info on what you are trying to do.

Are you using an LPT port with software stepping or a Mesa card?

Which drives and types of motor are you using?
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
10 Oct 2022 07:10 - 11 Oct 2022 06:01 #253851 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic 12V and 5V control board?
@Bari
Maybe I can provide some more info on the topic:
He is using Step/Direction motor drives for stepper motors on a machine he wants to retrofit to linuxcnc. He's been working on figuring out the input and out put signals for the machine since the documentation he's got does not fit his machine.
No decision has been made as to what breakout board or FPGA board to use.

His machine has XYZ , Spindle and a simple rack tool changer.
The old controller uses 16 logic outputs, 8 relay outputs and 24 logic inputs. Not all of those are actually in use but the main hurdle is that the signals are 12V not 5V
So his motor drives expect 12V logic commands (instead of the more common 5V) so he is looking for either a break out board that can provide 12V signals or, since mesa boards can only provide 5V step direction signals, a converter board that is fast enough to convert the 5V Step/Dir signals to 12V.

Since electrical skills are somewhat limited a ready made solution is called for.

The whole tread is over here
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...axis?start=20#253061
Last edit: 11 Oct 2022 06:01 by Aciera. Reason: correcteed the number of digital outputs

More
10 Oct 2022 11:07 #253862 by tommylight
Hmmm...
First, we need to know if the inputs are active low or active high.
Active low would be easy by adding a transistor on each output from bob/mesa.
Active high would also require adding resistors to each transistor.
As for inputs on bob/mesa, simple resistors will do just fine.

More
10 Oct 2022 18:04 - 10 Oct 2022 18:45 #253899 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic 12V and 5V control board?
Ah, a new thread was started about this here for some reason.

Thank you.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 18:45 by Bari.

More
10 Oct 2022 18:42 - 10 Oct 2022 19:57 #253902 by Aciera
I think I just found a solution:

www.aliexpress.com/item/4000459030365.html

Not sure how fast the optocouplers are on that board but it would be worth a try.

edit:
This one here specifies a "working frequency" of 20kHz, not exactly stellar for a step signal but certainly good enough for everything else.

www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001790613213.html

edit2:
The TLP550 in the original controller are 1Mb/s so the puny 20kHz will probably not do it for the step signal for the drives.

Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 19:57 by Aciera.

More
10 Oct 2022 20:06 #253910 by clayd_lopunk
Hi guys, thanks for your help !!!

Input signals vary from active high to active low 5V. The Output signals are 12V and there are 16.
4 of them are for STEP xyzw go from 0 to 12V, other 4 for DIR xyzw go to 0V in one direction and 12V in the other.
In the remaining 8 transistors the voltage is fixed at 12V, only one transistor of them goes to zero (L) when I enable the spindle.

A dear friend suggested this board in photo to me, it should be possible to isolate the IDC20 connector and cancel the voltages at 12V, and then let it out at 5V on the LTP port that communicates with the PC. If it was possible to use the card in the photo or put two in the stack, I already have one.
I also saw the cards that you suggested to me Aciera, if they were a simpler and faster solution I could buy them. They ship them in 15 days.

Thank you!
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2022 06:05 #253934 by Aciera
If you have already got one maybe you could check if it can output 12V, I didn't think those boards could but if it can then you won't need the other boards.

More
11 Oct 2022 11:52 #253957 by tommylight
Measure the voltage on the inputs going to drives, if it is near 12V do not use that board.
The board/bob uses TTL buffer chips rated at 5V +-5%, so anything above that will destroy them.
If the voltage is near 12V at rest, most probably the inputs are active low, so again, transistors or ULN2803 should work just fine.
If the voltage is near 0V, those would be active high inputs, so anything with 5V outputs like that bob will not be able to trigger inputs.
Again, in this case, transistors with pullup resistors should work, just beware that the spindle might stay on when LinuxCNC is not active, so might need another transistor to invert that output/input to spindle drive.

More
11 Oct 2022 12:43 #253961 by clayd_lopunk
Ok where should I connect the probes exactly to check?
So my 12V active low inputs should be fine, instead for high active I have to use pull up resistors? Are the input signals already good at 5V? Can I use the card then suggested by Aciera, or would the resistors be enough?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the questions but it's starting to get complicated ...

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds