Mesa 7i96s a little jitter

More
28 Nov 2022 04:57 #257818 by An
Hi linuxcnc, I have a small amount of jitter in my newly upgraded set up. I have followed along with this post forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...7i76e-solved?start=0
 and generated the attached Halscope. It looks to me that my dpll phase error is quite poor in comparison to pcw’s. When I ping the mesa I have a range of .14 to .35 ms. So I believe as per the instructions here forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...ethernet-mesa-boards
I should enter sudo ethtool -C eno1 rx-usecs 0 into command line? It returns command not found. So if someone would be so kind to confirm I’m on the right track and tell me please how to find ethtool.
thankyou
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2022 05:02 #257819 by An
Replied by An on topic Mesa 7i96s a little jitter
Apologies I forgot to add

Linux 2.8.4
Hp 8200 elite
Debian 10

And the intel 82579lm onboard Ethernet

More
28 Nov 2022 12:58 #257850 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Mesa 7i96s a little jitter
If you have a Intel Ethernet chip you must disable RX IRQ coalescing in the /etc/network/interfaces.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-10-eth.html

JT

More
28 Nov 2022 14:43 #257859 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i96s a little jitter
I am surprised that ethtool is not included in the 2.8.4 distribution
To add ethtool:

sudo apt install ethtool
The following user(s) said Thank You: An

More
28 Nov 2022 18:04 #257874 by An
Thanks JT. So I should do this as well as performing the ‘ethtool -C eno1 rx-usecs 0’ ?
Reason i ask is per tommylight instructions above he opens with “ ---Warning : IF using this tutorial, NEVER edit the /etc/network/interfaces file as mentioned in the official documents, using BOTH causes a lot of issues, so use this OR the other, never both!!! ---

More
28 Nov 2022 18:13 #257875 by tommylight
The warning is a must as some users just run through a tutorial without ever checking for errors, then complain it does not work, then run through another tutorial and complain it does not work. By then it will be very hard to go back so it is easier to do a new install.
Also i did not mention that using the "network-manager" way then using the "etc/network" way will still work if done correctly, but it will not work in reverse.

More
28 Nov 2022 19:19 #257884 by An
Hi Tommy totally understand why you put that there and I for one appreciate it! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to fall into the trap seen as I already followed your very helpful guide… so to round this off along with adding ‘ethtool -C eno1 rx-usecs 0’ which I have now done I should also do as JT says and disable RX IRQ coalescing? Thanks again for taking the time to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Nov 2022 19:25 #257887 by tommylight
First check how it does now, then decide if you need to add that.

More
28 Nov 2022 22:30 #257902 by An
Sorry one more thing. When I entered ethtool -C eno1 rx-usecs 0 into command line it just went to another command line without any additional info - is there a command to check that this has actually achieved what was intended?

More
28 Nov 2022 22:37 #257905 by tommylight
No info usually means all is OK.
check with
ethtool -c eno1

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds