Jittery stepper pulses with mesa 7i76E [SOLVED]

More
08 Jul 2022 13:21 - 09 Jul 2022 06:14 #246860 by paw
Hi, I'm new to Linuxcnc, but have made cnc machines with other software/boards.
I've recently done a cnc conversion on a small manual lathe using open loop stepper motors and a mesa 7i76E board, and the configuration has been really very slick with pnconf.
However, the stepper movements are rather rough/scratchy and slightly noisy. The movements are very smooth with pulses from a signal generator, but looking at the pulse output from the mesa board on a 'scope there appears to be quite a lot of jitter in the output causing the rough movement.

I'm using a dedicated PC, which is an HP Proliant microserver. 
I've got the base thread latency below 50usec, after disabling stuff in the bios, and I am using a 1ms servo thread.
The PC has a Broadcom BCM5723 network card.
uname -a reports:
Linux cnclathe 4.19.0-17-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.194-2 (2021-06-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I reduce the servo thread to 500usec, the movements are much smoother, but I get some realtime delay errors, I suppose not surprisingly. A servo thread of 2ms seemed to make it worse.

The network card seems to use IRQ coalescing of 20usec, according to ethtool, and although it isn't an Intel card I tried setting it to zero. In fact it wouldn't support less than 1, and 1 made no difference.

If I ping the mesa board I get times of:
min 0.16ms, avg 0.201ms, max 0.34ms, mdev 0.026ms. I'm not sure how good/bad those figures are.

As I understand it, dpll is enabled on the mesa board by default, but I tried toggling the setting in halcmd to be sure.

I'm not sure what to try now, so any help would be very appreciated, please 
Many thanks
Phil

Histogram attached

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2022 06:14 by paw. Reason: marked solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2022 15:35 #246870 by PCW
Can you post your hal/ini files? This sounds like a setup error of some kind

Also a halscope plot of the following error might help in diagnosis

More
08 Jul 2022 15:50 #246874 by tommylight
Try an MDI move or run some short gcode, if it moves smooth, change the keyboard or use this
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...elocity-fluctuations
If it is still rough, set the step time and step space to at least 5000 in hal or ini
Also, use this for latency testing:
latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 1000 --show
On your picture there are excursions on both sides and both screens that can not be seen, notice the striped lines.

More
08 Jul 2022 16:14 #246880 by arvidb

However, the stepper movements are rather rough/scratchy and slightly noisy. The movements are very smooth with pulses from a signal generator, but looking at the pulse output from the mesa board on a 'scope there appears to be quite a lot of jitter in the output causing the rough movement.

Can you post a screenshot of the 'scope trace? If I'm guessing a bit, with a Mesa HW stepgen you should have a pretty smooth pulse train except that its frequency should be updated once every servo period. If your settings are wrong so that the frequency changes a lot every servo period you might perceive that as noise and jitter.

More
08 Jul 2022 17:21 #246885 by paw
@PCW attached are my hal/ini files. I'm working on how to use halscope - I'll post again when I've got it going
Many thanks
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2022 17:23 - 08 Jul 2022 17:27 #246886 by PCW
Here is a plot of 7I76E stepgen following error at a 1 KHz servo thread rate.
These are with fairly  aggressive  velocity and acceleration limits = 1500 IPM
and 200 IPS/S = ~ 1/2G. Errors will be lower with lower velocity and acceleration limits,
but even at these extremes the actual stepgen position error is ~15 uinch peak:

Top trace is velocity in IPS, 5 IPS/div, middle trace is following error, 10 uinch/div
and bottom trace is DPLL error (basically Host PC jitter relative to DPLL reference)

I would suggest plotting the same variables for comparison
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2022 17:27 by PCW.

More
08 Jul 2022 17:40 #246887 by PCW
The hal/ini files look OK except I would use a larger DPLL pre-sample time, perhaps 100 usec
plotting the same variables I plotted will help diagnose the issue:

joint.0.vel-cmd
hm2_7i76e.0.dpll.phase-error-us
joint.0.f-error

More
08 Jul 2022 19:50 #246902 by paw
@PCW Brilliant! Big thanks :-)That's got me going with halscope, and the change to the DPLL pre-sample time has made the movements perfectly smooth :-)
I've had a fail with a screen dump, so I've attached halscope data files with before and after traces, I hope that is ok. If not I'll try harder. Anyway, hopefully you will see the hideous following error initially. Significantly reduced after the change. There is a pretty large DPLL error, which I assume means that I need to try for a bit better latency.
I've repeated my histogram, with the parameters as suggested by @tommylight (many thanks) and these reveal more latency than gets shown with no parameters - I'll attach. Also for completeness, @tommylight, the moves were still rough with MDI/gcode moves, and my step pulse times were as you suggested. 
One last thing - is it ok to put the altered setp DPLL line into the custom hal file so it doesn't get overwritten by pnconf? Or is that the wrong way to go about it? 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Jul 2022 20:00 - 08 Jul 2022 20:01 #246903 by paw
Also @ arvidb, Thanks for your help. PCW has solved it for me as above, but in answer to your suggestion, it was difficult to demonstrate the jitter on a still image from the oscilloscope because the jitter appeared as a regular pulse train which kept jumping about. I probably needed to do some fancy triggering to show it better. Anyway, thanks again.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2022 20:01 by paw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
08 Jul 2022 20:36 - 09 Jul 2022 17:26 #246909 by PCW
A bit of explanation:

If you look at the log, the DPLL error is often less than -50 usec.
(the are some ~-57 usec values)
If the sample time was set to -50 usec, a -57 usec error would mean
that the DPLL would not have sampled the stepgen position before it
was read by LinuxCNC, meaning the position read would be the position
almost a whole servo period earlier. This will cause a large, bogus velocity
correction, resulting in the jittery motion you observed.

Basically what this means is there is considerable statistical
variation in host/Ethernet communication delays, causing a large
"baseline wander" in the average delay. I suspect this may be
BroadCom (driver or hardware) related.

That said, there is no real penalty to increasing the pre-sample period.
It does increase the time between reading the position and writing a new velocity,
(which causes a small error during acceleration) but you can compensate for this
with the PIDs FF2 parameter (by adding the DPLL pre-sample time to the FF2
parameter (in seconds so a  -100 usec sample time means add 0.0001 to FF2)
Last edit: 09 Jul 2022 17:26 by PCW. Reason: rechecked data -57 usec was worst case time
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight, Clive S, mwiktowy

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds