7i95T errors with Mesa Configuration Tool v2.0.1

More
15 Sep 2023 22:10 #280891 by merongi
On "Firmware" Tab, there is "Options" Group box.
All three (Step Generators, PWM Generators, Encoders) items are "n/a" and not selectable. I.e. they're not reflecting I/O selected by firmware.

As a result, main.hal has no "num_encoders", "num_pwmgens", num_stepgens" parameters on config string like below.

loadrt [HM2](DRIVER) board_ip=[HM2](ADDRESS) config="sserial_port_0=00000000"

But once I set correct stepper parameters, motor movement was fine without above parameters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2023 11:48 #280914 by JT

On "Firmware" Tab, there is "Options" Group box.
All three (Step Generators, PWM Generators, Encoders) items are "n/a" and not selectable. I.e. they're not reflecting I/O selected by firmware.

As a result, main.hal has no "num_encoders", "num_pwmgens", num_stepgens" parameters on config string like below.

loadrt [HM2](DRIVER) board_ip=[HM2](ADDRESS) config="sserial_port_0=00000000"

But once I set correct stepper parameters, motor movement was fine without above parameters.

The num_pwmgens, num_stepgens and num_encoders are only needed in the config line if you want less that all of them... that is a WIP. I'm still trying to sort out how to read the firmware to see the numbers of num_pwmgens, num_stepgens and num_encoders that are in that firmware.

What did you "correct" about the stepper parameters?

I still can't get LinuxCNC 2.10 to run on any of my Debian PC's... how frustrating that is. Seems simple to me to just cherry pick the 7i95T hostmot to 2.9...

JT

More
18 Sep 2023 17:11 #281097 by JT
I "think" I have the Mesa CT II tool ready to create a fully working configuration for a 7i95T "including" encoder feedback on each axis. If you can test it would help.

JT

More
20 Sep 2023 16:52 #281234 by merongi
I selected TB6600 parameters from MesaCT II as my stepper driver (for temporary setup) is TB6560 but it didn't seem to work. So I copied Sherline parameters that worked with PnCConf into .ini and now motor responds. Over the weekend, I bought an oscilloscope to examine timing and found timing is very relaxed. I may try more optimization later. Now thinking, I can try select Sherline parameters from MesaCT as well. I'll try and report as well when I have a chance. (I'm weekend/night warriors, and things get busy at work.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
20 Sep 2023 17:03 - 21 Sep 2023 05:05 #281236 by merongi
My original setup was generic 6040 + parallel port BoB + PC Linux and I'm trying to replace controller with Pi4+7i95T. And encoder feedback is my goal to get accurate cut but I just made Pi4+7i95T work with a motor. I still have to go through Pi4 TTY to control VFD, then I can start work on encoder.

For number of encoder/stepgen/pwm, wouldn't parse HMID read result do the job?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2023 05:05 by merongi.

More
20 Sep 2023 23:24 #281264 by tommylight
What is 7095T?
You mean 7i95T, most probably.

More
21 Sep 2023 05:05 #281278 by merongi
Sorry it's typo of 7i95T. Fixed the posting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Sep 2023 03:23 #281347 by PCW
The 7I95T is now supported in 2.9 as well as 2.10
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
03 Oct 2023 07:30 #282135 by merongi
There are several issues I wonder how it's to be done.
1. mesact has Joint 0 ~ Joint 5 tabs and it associates them to stepgen00 to stepgen05. Because I'm replacing Parallel port BoB with 7i95T, some wires are not long enough, so I connected X to stepgen 03. In mesact, do I have to use Joint 3?
2. Currently I don't connect encoder to 7i95T yet, but main.hal is written to get positional feedback from encoder. What's the option to turn encoder off and get position feedback from stepper?
3. I connected all home/probe inputs to 7i95T correctly and checked LED light up when switches are closed. mesact writes out ini with corresponding pin info but they're not consumed in neither of main.hal or io.hal. And obviously they're not recognized by Axis. Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

More
03 Oct 2023 10:31 #282150 by JT
1. LinucCNC requires you to use the joints in order starting at 0 and not skipping any joints.

MesaCT allows you to pick any axis for any joint as long as you follow the above.

2. I will have to add the option to ignore the encoder, thanks for that feedback. Probably I'll make it if you leave it blank it will be ignored.

3. I'm not sure what your saying, can you attach the ini file and I'll look.

JT

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds