Mesa 7i96S - Error finishing read iter ...

More
27 Oct 2023 05:33 #283891 by gtivey
Hi karnalta ---

Tried to install the r8168-dkms_8.052.01-1_all on my stock Debian 12 running kernel 6.1.55 via dpkg, but same errors...so it's not related to kernel version.

Cannot find any sources of this driver in the stock Debian 12, but I can tell you that this particular r6168-dkms package 'depends' on a version dkms-3.0.11 of dkms only available in the debian-testing repositories. Perhaps you can find an 'older' version. --OR--

You could possibly add the testing repository to your sources.list... and install the 'testing' version of dkms in order to proceed. Seems as whoever repackaged this fairly old driver source code with the rquirement of updated testing dkms version!

As a cautionary note, the debian testing repositories are generally for the experienced users willing to break things. Good Luck! --Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2023 06:27 #283894 by karnalta

Hi karnalta ---

Tried to install the r8168-dkms_8.052.01-1_all on my stock Debian 12 running kernel 6.1.55 via dpkg, but same errors...so it's not related to kernel version.

Cannot find any sources of this driver in the stock Debian 12, but I can tell you that this particular r6168-dkms package 'depends' on a version dkms-3.0.11 of dkms only available in the debian-testing repositories. Perhaps you can find an 'older' version. --OR--

You could possibly add the testing repository to your sources.list... and install the 'testing' version of dkms in order to proceed. Seems as whoever repackaged this fairly old driver source code with the rquirement of updated testing dkms version!

As a cautionary note, the debian testing repositories are generally for the experienced users willing to break things. Good Luck! --Gary

Since I have put my servo thead on 2 ms, I don't have communication error anymore.

So, I think I am gonna live with that and don't mess up with Linux too much. I am a .NET software dev, Windows is all my world :) I appreciate Linux a lot but don't have the mastery of it.

More
27 Oct 2023 07:40 #283896 by rodw
If you are going to play around with linux kernels and you use dpkg to install stuff, you really need to know what you are doing and its not surprising things break.

Also the R8168-dkms driver needs to be purged, not just removed. 

In my experience, the Debian kernels are still not that great and you get better performance if you compile the kernel and its headers.

If you want to use the 6.5 kernel, why don't you just upgrade to or install Debian 13 (aka testing)?
Linuxcnc 2.91 made it to debian unstable today so in about 5 days time, it will be in Debian testing......

More
27 Oct 2023 13:06 #283907 by karnalta

If you are going to play around with linux kernels and you use dpkg to install stuff, you really need to know what you are doing and its not surprising things break.

Also the R8168-dkms driver needs to be purged, not just removed. 

In my experience, the Debian kernels are still not that great and you get better performance if you compile the kernel and its headers.

If you want to use the 6.5 kernel, why don't you just upgrade to or install Debian 13 (aka testing)?
Linuxcnc 2.91 made it to debian unstable today so in about 5 days time, it will be in Debian testing......

I didn't wanted to use kernel 6.5. At first my setup was with the original 6.1 kernel shipped with Debian 12.

It has been recommanded in this thread to use 6.5 kernel as an attempt to solve my "Error finishing read iter ...".

I didn't not used a LinuxCNC ISO at first because I wanted to have a nicer UI and a more complete OS so I can also use that computer as a workshop computer for light task and reading.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds