7i77 encoder split to amp and servo

More
02 May 2024 18:04 #299580 by OT-CNC
Hi,

I have an encoder on a servo motor that is being read in single ended at the servo drive (A, B, velocity feedback) and want to use all the channels on the mesa 7i77 side (A, /A, B, /B, Z, /Z).  The 7i77 is sourcing the +5v going to the encoder and +5v  is not connected at the drive. Is it okay to do so or should the 7i77 also be reading in single ended? In other words, is it okay to mix open ended with differential?
For testing, if the connector has all the wiring in place, can I just move the 3 jumpers to go into single ended mode on the 7i77 or do  I need to disconnect the /A, /B, /Z wires?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2024 18:30 #299585 by PCW
The thing I would worry about is that you would lower the single ended swing
considerably because of the differential mode termination.

More
02 May 2024 18:45 - 02 May 2024 18:48 #299587 by OT-CNC
Thanks for the response PCW. I will try single ended as tuning has been very difficult. 
Do I need to pull the inverse wires or can I leave them in place and just switch the jumpers?
Last edit: 02 May 2024 18:48 by OT-CNC. Reason: added jumper question

More
17 May 2024 19:41 - 17 May 2024 19:45 #300859 by OT-CNC
Besides noise issue on my other post, I'm trying to see if encoder is working correctly. Initial encoder counter mode 0 resulted in rough running motor. I switched to mode 1 and is smoother. A and B channel look to have closer to 90 quadrature shift than in mode 0 which had the rising edges almost in line. Is that possible? If incremental encoder outputs step/dir, (mode 1) wouldn't the direction channel be flat?

Tuning questions. I'm running the analog drive in velocity hall feedback and not reading in the encoder to the drive. Drive was configured internally to match best motor response.
Hall velocity mode in drive and pid tuning in linuxcnc does not follow regular encoder velocity tuning with I. It seems to like high P term. Why?
Not really grasping the difference between velocity tuning and torque/current tuning as linuxcnc still reads in a velocity from the encoder regardless of how the drive is set up.

Last, in hal scope, f-error plot should follow vel-commanded. Correct? Mine is mirrored. Can I flip the channel view somehow or is something misconfigured?

Last edit: 17 May 2024 19:45 by OT-CNC. Reason: clarification

More
17 May 2024 20:08 #300862 by PCW
The hostmot2 encoder can accept step/dir or quadrature
I would expect quadrature to be more standard. Step/dir
output may have a constant value on the direction pin but
it's not necessary as it's only important that the direction pin
be in the correct state on the rising edge of the "A" input

A true velocity mode drive need encoder feedback to the drive.
Without this feedback you need higher D and P terms in a single
control loop.

The following error direction relative to velocity is dependent on the FF1 term
Though if you have a pure torque mode drive you normally do not need any FF1

More
17 May 2024 20:14 - 17 May 2024 20:16 #300863 by blazini36
Wouldn't it be wise to use something like the Encoder Y for this? I assume Mesa still sells it, I've had one for years and never got to use it.

IIRC it has a buffer/redriver......might help with some of those other issues.
Last edit: 17 May 2024 20:16 by blazini36.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds