Sorry, Another 'Which Mesa?' Post. (Yes, I read Spumco's magnificient guide)

More
13 Jul 2024 18:54 #305103 by PCW
On the servo enables and alarms is usually possible to combine all the
enables together so they can be driven by a single output, and likewise,
combine all the alarms so they drive a single input.

If you used a 7I96S, you may need to add a daughtercard to get enough I/O
The 7I95T probably has enough I/O but lacks the 0-10V. The lack of 0-10V
may not matter if the spindle drive can use an alternate speed control method
(also 0-10V can be added to the 7I95T with a  SPINX1 adapter)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeckoWorks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2024 04:31 #305120 by GeckoWorks

On the servo enables and alarms is usually possible to combine all the
enables together so they can be driven by a single output, and likewise,
combine all the alarms so they drive a single input.

If you used a 7I96S, you may need to add a daughtercard to get enough I/O
The 7I95T probably has enough I/O but lacks the 0-10V. The lack of 0-10V
may not matter if the spindle drive can use an alternate speed control method
(also 0-10V can be added to the 7I95T with a  SPINX1 adapter)

I am def ok with a daughterboard, but not sure which one to get? Anything off of the top of your mind? 7i84? 
I still haven't gotten a grasp on the sourcing/sinking and I don't think the 7i84 is agnostic in this sense as the 7i96s seems to be. Any way can you take a stab at what would work for me given the list above? I can easily buy new prox switches if need be, if that somehow helps swing it to one side or the other. I do have a used Metrol tool setter. Should I try to find a manual to see if there's any mentioning of sourcing/sinking? That is the most expensive peripheral I have, I think. And then I think I will start with a cheap 3D probe from China, but not sure what signal that needs, either. 

Oh, which leads to another question (sorry), but can I mix sinking and sourcing on the 7i96s or do you pick one or the other for the whole board? 

More
14 Jul 2024 05:06 #305123 by PCW
The 7I96S isolated outputs can be sinking or sourcing on a per output basis
The 7I96S isolated inputs can be all sinking or all sourcing (depending on how the
input common is connected)

7I84 outputs are sourcing and 7I84 inputs are sinking

More
14 Jul 2024 05:51 #305125 by GeckoWorks

The 7I96S isolated outputs can be sinking or sourcing on a per output basis
The 7I96S isolated inputs can be all sinking or all sourcing (depending on how the
input common is connected)

7I84 outputs are sourcing and 7I84 inputs are sinking

Sorry for dragging this out. But to determine between the 7i84 and 7i84D would a smart approach for me to go through my periphirals and figure out if they are PNP (sourcing) or NPN (sinking) and then buy the daughterboard that corresponds to the the ones I have most off, or the most expensive ones?
[EDIT] I just realized both daughter boards have sinking inputs, only the outs are different. I think outs would pretty much only be for the servo drive signals - which I am almost sure can be set to accept either. And then maybe a few relays/solenoids for mist/air coolant but I don't know if those are generally NPN or PNP. Either way, they would be cheap to replace if need be. 

I know I am going around in circles but at this point I'd just like to settle on a daughterboard that has the best chance of being the right one. It'll take a long while to get to me in the Phillippines so the sooner I can order, the better. 

More
14 Jul 2024 11:29 #305131 by GeckoWorks
Sinking or Sourcing Daughter Board?
I've read some more posts in various places here and came across another good one from Spumco, where he says relays are "dumb" and can accept either type of input. So, I guess that takes care of the relays and solenoids. 

That leaves only the Delta B2 servo drives and the question of what type of input they need. I mentioned I thought the B2s could be setup for either. But I'd love if one of you more savvy guys can take a look at the wiring diagram and tell me if they can and if one is easier to do than the other. So, basically, which type has the least risk of me screwing it up:). 

Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2024 12:50 #305139 by cornholio
The docs show either sink or source, and each opto coupler has diode going each way (which puts these ones in the "dumb" category with the relay) , so what they show looks right.
They both have the same chance of you screwing up and the same chance of getting it right. It's basically 50/50.

More
14 Jul 2024 12:59 #305146 by GeckoWorks

The docs show either sink or source, and each opto coupler has diode going each way (which puts these ones in the "dumb" category with the relay) , so what they show looks right.
They both have the same chance of you screwing up and the same chance of getting it right. It's basically 50/50.

Thanks man but I don't like my chances then, haha.  I guess I'm a glass half empty kinda guy;)

This should mean either daughterboard would be fine as the servo drive DIs were really the only thing left I can think off that would have impacted what to choose. The others were some signals to relays, air solenoids but they don't care, either, it seems.
Anything else I am missing? Any reason left to go with one over the other if the hardware is agnostic? 

More
14 Jul 2024 13:30 #305148 by cornholio
Pete may have some idea of which way to jump.

More
14 Jul 2024 14:43 #305156 by PCW
If there is a choice, I  prefer sourcing outputs and sinking inputs

Also as I mentioned before, you likely need much fewer I/O
points than you think for enable or alarm as they can almost always
be combined.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio, GeckoWorks

More
14 Jul 2024 15:28 - 14 Jul 2024 15:32 #305158 by GeckoWorks

If there is a choice, I  prefer sourcing outputs and sinking inputs

Good point on the need for less IOs than I initially feared. But since I am based on a small island in the Phillippines and the board(s) will take a decent while to get here, I thought the smart move would be to get a daughter card instead of having to order again later, just in case.

I'll go with your preference then as it easily trumps my zero experience. So, 7i96s + 7i84. 

Thanks for the help to you and Corn:)
Last edit: 14 Jul 2024 15:32 by GeckoWorks.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds