Setting up 7i97t w idc26 bob

More
11 Sep 2024 23:43 #309952 by bentiggin
I didn’t realize this sounded so ridiculous.
Im my head, it seemed like it’d function just like any open loop stepper z axis. 
I guess how much it raises after touch off wouldn’t be too accurate.
My thoughts were more along the lines that it if hypertherm used it, it cant that bad.
But I guess if you and everyone else thinks this is dumb, I’ll just buy more appropriate hardware​​​​​​.
I don’t want to annoy you guys with stupid questions, so I apologize if i did.
​​​​​​​I appreciate your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2024 00:19 #309955 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Setting up 7i97t w idc26 bob
It was not ridiculous as it functioned in the original system
I just don't quite understand how

Is it possible there is encoder or even potentiometer
feedback built into the mechanics somehow?

Maybe it is just driven into the top stop when the torch is off
and relies entirely on arc voltage feedback when cutting.

This would make it hard to do smart things like velocity holds etc

More
12 Sep 2024 06:44 #309972 by bentiggin
Despite taking apart the thc controller and examining the guts, I don't know how the thing works.
There's no encoder(i originally thought there was but it's actually a brake) and I wouldn't know how to identify a potentiometer feedback.
It would touch off on the top when turned on and then probe with either ohmic or current sense before cutting.
I assume it had some way of knowing it's height, but maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
Maybe I ought to pop that brake off and see if an encoder would fit. Tone rings, hall sensors, I'm all over the place.

As much as I am enjoying my journey down this rabbit hole, I don't wanna drag you down with me.
Trying to see things from your perspective, I can imagine thinking, "Why doesn't this guy just do what everyone else does, you know, the stuff that works?"
Sometimes I get lost in the details and forget what I'm even trying to accomplish.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds