Robot

More
25 Jan 2012 12:56 #17123 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Robot
roboyoungster wrote:

www.automation.com.tw/common/entry.htm

Be cautious buying IO hardware, "Linux Compatible" doesn't mean "EMC2 compatible".
Unless you fancy writing your own driver (which can be fun, and not too difficult) I would suggest buying hardware from the supported hardware list:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2012 19:54 #18763 by TwoGoats
Replied by TwoGoats on topic Re:Robot
Hi I am also working on using EMC2 Just starting on two welding robots. Plan to use existing Analog Servos and drives I will post some pictures as soon as I get them apart

More
05 Feb 2013 00:55 #29577 by Coyote
Replied by Coyote on topic Re:Robot
I had the same idea, except I would make a new cabinet with used servo drives Beckhoff AX5xxx with Ethercat.

I saw KUKA robot arms KR125 very cheap second hand without KRC1 electronics. As far I know KUKA uses Siemens servo motors with different nameplates. The major problem is to find all necessary data from motors, encoders and reference switches (if they are any).

With forward and inverse kinematics similar to Puma, I think a KUKA robot arm shall work like a gun. Of course many hours to train brains is necessary.

I saw Beckhoff AX drives supports many servo motors of different brands yet pre-configured. I am not sure for KUKA servomotors (quite sure for Siemens models), but it could be also set up knowing parameters of servo motor. Also it supports quite all possible types of encoders (sin/cos, resolver, ttl, ...)

Did I miss something? Where are hidden problems?

More
05 Feb 2013 01:21 #29581 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Robot

I saw KUKA robot arms KR125 very cheap second hand without KRC1 electronics. As far I know KUKA uses Siemens servo motors with different nameplates. The major problem is to find all necessary data from motors, encoders and reference switches (if they are any).

I think robots often use Resolvers, as they are absolute and give very good resolution.

More
05 Feb 2013 21:01 #29643 by Coyote
Replied by Coyote on topic Re:Robot
That would make sense, it would also make easier to implement stop limits on inteligent servo drive to prevent cable tear or damage to the arm in case of wrong computation of EMC2.
Extra problem is the calibration, if the offset is stored in KUKA controller instead in absolute multiturn resolver.

I don't own a robotic arm, but I was asked to calculate the cost (and risk) of making such retrofit.

If someone has nameplates of KUKA KR125 servo motors I would be pleased if he/she can post it.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds