ShopBot System Conversion

More
06 Mar 2012 18:33 #18431 by BigJohnT
Sounds like that might be some sort of charge pump input for the drives... the output could be a drive ready or something like that.

I've not heard back from my Florida buddy, he may be on holiday or something.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2012 14:58 #18458 by BigJohnT
crmorano,

My friend who converted his shop bot to the other software has a private video that is very informative about his conversion. If you want to view it pm your e-mail address to me and I'll pass it along to him... dunno why it is private but I guess it is all the neat add on items he made for his.

Johhn

More
09 Mar 2012 16:17 #18477 by crmorano
Question on the 5i25, is there a config/description on how to config somewhere to run it with EMC? I got it in yesterday and finished installing/updating software and noticed it wasn't any of the pre-configs in PNCConfig or in the basic config. I've seen mention of an XML file, but cannot find its location.

More
09 Mar 2012 16:32 - 09 Mar 2012 16:35 #18480 by BigJohnT
I think the latest version of PnC has the 5i25/7i76 in it but I've posted one here, I just need to find it. Basically it is one line to load the 5i25 and if the field power is connected then the 7i76 pins show up.

I just did a search and the PnC does support the 5i25/7i76 but you will need a recent version.

Also, make sure your jumpers are in the correct position for the VIN on both cards.

John
Last edit: 09 Mar 2012 16:35 by BigJohnT.

More
09 Mar 2012 16:53 #18482 by crmorano
I'm running EMC 2.4.6, which version is required?

More
09 Mar 2012 17:06 #18483 by BigJohnT
You will need the 2.5 version for the 5i25 + anything. At this point the buildbot seems to be the best way to get 2.5 as you get updates pretty quick.

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

John

More
09 Mar 2012 20:48 #18486 by crmorano
Okay, so I've loaded EMC v2.5 (the RT pre-release), and I think it detects the new card. I've adjusted my jumpers, and set up a test power supply to give the 7i76 24V and 5V power.
Three questions now,

1) Does the 7i76 need V-Field to be connected to all 4 pins?

2) As I run PNCconf to try to configure to the card, I had downloaded the '7i76x2.xml' config file from this thread: www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...14940&start=24#15721 to try to get stuff to work. Once I updated using the Buildbot reps, I choose my 5i25, it only gives me the option of "7i76x2" and none of the inputs/outputs are defined. Is this correct? Do I need to define these myself? If I do, how should I go about this?

3) Once I do have this configured, I'd like to do a test to make sure I'm getting some form of appropriate output out of the 7i76 without connecting a mother. I'm thinking I should just be able to measure an AC signal across the ouptut of Step0+ and Step0-, and possibly something similar on Dir0+ and Dir0- (as according to the 7i76). Are there any other sanity checks I can make?

More
09 Mar 2012 21:03 #18487 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:ShopBot System Conversion
1. No but W1 needs to be in the default left hand position so VIN is supplied.
Then you can supply power to TB1 pins 1(+24V) and 8 (24V gnd) for example

2. Yes you need to define your I/O

3. a LED/resistor across +dir/-dir should illuminate if you jog in one direction

More
09 Mar 2012 21:06 - 09 Mar 2012 21:24 #18488 by BigJohnT
You only need to connect 24vdc to the field power and jumper to get 5v from the host card (5i25).

The field power only needs to be connected to the top (-) and bottom (+) pins.

The I/O is not configurable, so nothing needs to be done in PnC except tell it what does what.

Well it will be a DC on the step and direction pins, the direction pins might be easier to see with a meter.

The first thing I do is cycle the I/O to make sure each switch/prox/input is connected and working. Assuming your using Axis from the Machine menu open up the Show HAL Configuration window and put the I/O pins you have connected in a watch window. Then cycle each one to make sure they work. Then I usually move on to one drive at a time and make sure they move the correct amount and direction... then homing if there are limit/homing switches.

John
Last edit: 09 Mar 2012 21:24 by BigJohnT.

More
09 Mar 2012 21:18 #18489 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:ShopBot System Conversion
field power V+ is the bottom pin of TB1 (well actually the bottom 4 pins)
its fairly safe to connect backwards _if_ you have a current limited
supply as it has a reverse protection diode but its not recomended

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds