Cincinnati Lathe-new project

More
13 Nov 2012 10:49 #26522 by JR1050
Ive had this Cincinnati for about 7 years,of which it ran for about 45 minutes!! A few years ago I put a Delta Tau windows control on it ,shortly thereafter the Siemens axis drive stating acting up.The machine was parked for two years.

I fixed the drives last week and decided the DT was more trouble then it was worth. The machine is very similar to another lathe I did with Emc,so I ordered a 5i25 and 7i77 and its gettn Emc'd. Its a modern machine so its really plug into the existing wiring.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2012 12:56 #26609 by gmouer
Replied by gmouer on topic Cincinnati Lathe-new project
Nice lathe ! I look forward to more posts with the details of your retrofit. The info would be helpfull to many I am sure.

More
16 Nov 2012 00:38 #26633 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Cincinnati Lathe-new project
Thank you,Ill post pics and some video as I get things up and run'n. I replaced the Siemens spindle drive awhile back and hopefully got the axis drive fixed.The machine uses 25 pin connectors for axis signals,so it is plug and go.The i/o was wired to opto racks(originally to the acramatic plc), it is being replaced with a 7i77 and a 16 space opto rack for out puts.The turret plc is already written,this machine is very similar to my Hardinge,so most of the work was done.
I ordered a 7i84 for the operator panel(which isnt in the pic). As soon as it does something ,Ill post it!!

More
16 Nov 2012 08:26 #26647 by BigJohnT
What did you replace the Siemens spindle drive with? I have a cranky BP Discovery 308...

John

More
16 Nov 2012 22:53 #26678 by JR1050
On this lathe I used a Hitachi SJ300, 20 hp model. Hitachi doesnt make the SJ300 any more,they make an SJ700 (which can be run in vector flux mode)and a WJ200. The WJ is a neat drive,I recently put one in my Fadal with a permanent magnet Fanuc motor. It will run either induction or Pm motors. With the encoder card,you can have feedback to the drive( not on pm motors though). According to Hitachi,it has 150 % torque at 5 hz!!. I got it thru Ebay,7.5 hp model,about $700. I had to add an external braking resistor,as the regen from the motor gave me a MAJOR overvoltage alarm on decel. They are definately worth checking out. Your BP has a yaskawa drive? Check the caps in the DC link and on the main board,notorious trouble makers....

More
17 Nov 2012 07:36 - 17 Nov 2012 07:38 #26692 by andypugh

What did you replace the Siemens spindle drive with? I have a cranky BP Discovery 308...

A chap I know who is retrofitting a Hardinge CHNC just got one of these:
www.motorcontrolwarehouse.co.uk/unidrive-sp2401/prod_326.html
Which he is using to run a 5kW induction motor, with an encoder. He seems to be getting servo-behaviour from a much cheaper motor.

I note that the drive appears to be able to control just about anything.

[Edit] He is running it on single-phase, with a step-up transformer
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 07:38 by andypugh.

More
17 Nov 2012 23:28 #26712 by BigJohnT
Thanks Andy,

I just checked and the 308 has a 7.5hp spindle so that is about 5.6Kw I think. The way it is mounted swapping it out would be rather simple... I'll keep that in the back of my head.

John

More
19 Nov 2012 07:26 #26787 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Cincinnati Lathe-new project
interesting retrofit seems to be afew poping up :)

do you guys know what the max RPM in vector you can do,?

as the vector drive i have has a max speed when worked out to be 4000rpm,
which does not help when your spindle motor does 8000rpm :(

not sure on the Uni drive from CT
but if your friend andy is getting 6000rpm in Vector mode that sounds good option. as i know motor in CHNC 1 at least is 5.5KW and 6000rpm , (5000rpm max on head stock due to gearing)

rob

More
19 Nov 2012 17:22 #26791 by andypugh

but if your friend andy is getting 6000rpm in Vector mode that sounds good option. as i know motor in CHNC 1 at least is 5.5KW and 6000rpm , (5000rpm max on head stock due to gearing)

I think he is shooting for 3000rpm at the spindle, and he seems to think that is what the original did.
He intends to use live-tooling and aims to do indexing work.
There has also been talk of a 5C-mounting super-high speed spindle for turning very small stuff. (And he does make very small stuff). He has linear scales with a resolution of something like 10nm.

More
20 Nov 2012 12:16 - 20 Nov 2012 12:19 #26819 by JR1050
Here is the wj200 manual for any one interested. This drive will run an induction motor to top speed with full torque and with encoder feedback. Also runs synchronous ac motors(think giant stepper).

I tried to make it an attachment,but it seems it is too, large. Email me if you would like it. I thnk it is also online.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 12:19 by JR1050. Reason: bad attachmnet

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds