14x40 Lathe Retrofit

More
27 Feb 2015 11:54 #56326 by giz
Replied by giz on topic 14x40 Lathe Retrofit
Thanks a bunch for you help Andy. I'm looking back into this, but this time I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I just have too many projects right now to overcomplicate things.

That being said, I'm going with your original advice to keep the DC servos. I'm looking at a 5I24 > 7I49 > 7I29 setup. I will use the original spindle motor and connect that resolver to the 7I49 as well. It looks like that setup will run about $600 which seems like a great deal.

I still need to research the rest of the setup, in particular the power supplies, but I feel like this is a good direction to go. I really like the control box you did on your Harrison mill and will probably try to imitate that.

I just want to make some progress at this point!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2015 13:58 - 27 Feb 2015 13:59 #56327 by giz
I decided I should probably double check the motors, so I opened the backend to take a look inside.

I did find a resolver and a tach as predicted. The models are:

Resolver: Summit 573-211-20
Tachometer: Sierracin Magnedyne 707-01A

The motors themselves are Summit 216-330-30. Rated for 90v 7.4A 1430RPM

A quick google search didn't yield any info outside of ebay listings, but this confirms to me that the 5I24, 7I49, 7I29, and 7I37TA are the right fit for this application. I read through the manuals on each of those boards and it did start to click. Still a little unsure how the actual connections for the resolver and tach work out but I'll get it.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 13:59 by giz.

More
27 Feb 2015 19:07 #56331 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 14x40 Lathe Retrofit

Still a little unsure how the actual connections for the resolver and tach work out but I'll get it.

You will actually have quite a lot of unconnected wires and terminals, which seems inelegant but that is just the way it is.

You will almost certainly end up not using the tachometers. The 7i49 provides very high-quality velocity data directly to HAL, so the tachs are redundant.
The 7i29 takes PWM values directly from HAL, so the analogue outputs on the 7i49 are also redundant, though one channel may be of use to control the spindle motor. (Can you keep the spindle motor drive?)

More
27 Feb 2015 23:55 #56336 by giz
I mispoke in my original post when I called said my current spindle motor was DC. It is a 3-phase AC motor, so I'll run it with a VFD I have on-hand. I would like to control it with LinuxCNC - I don't know exactly how the VFD hooks into the Mesa network but again, I'll figure it out.

I also have a resolver on the spindle, so that will feed into the 7I49

More
28 Feb 2015 00:11 #56338 by andypugh

I mispoke in my original post when I called said my current spindle motor was DC. It is a 3-phase AC motor, so I'll run it with a VFD I have on-hand. I would like to control it with LinuxCNC - I don't know exactly how the VFD hooks into the Mesa network but again, I'll figure it out.

That is pretty much the setup with my milling machine. The spindle has a resolver connected to the 7i49 and one of the 7i49 analogue outputs drives the speed input of the VFD. Fwd/rev on/off is handled by GPIO pins on my 7i65 card. The 7i37TA should work in that role.

More
28 Feb 2015 00:17 #56339 by andypugh
If your lathe has a geared head then you will probably be able to use my gear-detection HAL code almost unaltered:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...n?limitstart=0#39583

More
28 Feb 2015 01:49 #56342 by giz
Perfect - thanks. The lathe is geared so that code could be helpful.

I went to order the cards and a couple are out of stock, so I'm waiting to hear from Mesa.

More
31 Mar 2015 23:04 #57349 by giz
I never heard back from Mesa, so I may just go ahead and order the parts.

I tried connecting my VFD to the spindle motor last night and didn't have a lot of success. I set the parameters in my VFD (it's a Chinese 3.0KW model from HuangYang) and bypassed all switches by connecting straight to the motor. I did nothing but shudder. I spent a good 2 hours troubleshooting the problem and came to the conclusion that the VFD is likely bad. Unfortunately I bought it new about 3 years ago and never touched it until last night.

So rather than replace the VFD, I'm again looking at using the Fanuc servo as my spindle motor. You seem confident Andy that I can bypass the Fanuc encoder and use the spindle resolver instead. Mesa has a 2.2KW motor driver but I'll be looking on eBay for servo drive that is cheaper before adding that to my order.

More
21 Apr 2015 05:21 #57955 by giz
I put some money toward this project this weekend and finally ordered some parts. I was also able to get the spindle motor moving with the VFD! But not before I ordered a servo amplifier for the Fanuc drive, which I'll keep for a potential C-axis upgrade later.

I ordered:

5I24
7I49
7I37TA
AMC 16A20ACR brushed servo amps (two, for the DC motors)
AMC B25A20N brushless PWM servo amp (for the Fanuc 10S, when I decide to use it)

I'm excited to get these parts in and setup on the bench.

More
21 Apr 2015 19:54 #57967 by andypugh

I'm excited to get these parts in and setup on the bench.

Your setup is going to end up quite similar to mine, so feel free to ask if there are any questions.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds