Lagunmatic 3516-SX Retrofit

More
25 Dec 2017 22:53 #103606 by lunada
Replied by lunada on topic Lagunmatic 3516-SX Retrofit
looks great, my only concern would be getting to the wires on the breakout boards easily once it's all together. It's pretty nice to be able to easily probe terminals or disconnect stuff as needed, without disturbing anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2017 23:03 #103607 by giz
Replied by giz on topic Lagunmatic 3516-SX Retrofit

looks great, my only concern would be getting to the wires on the breakout boards easily once it's all together. It's pretty nice to be able to easily probe terminals or disconnect stuff as needed, without disturbing anything.

Thanks! I used your panel as inspiration... again, you helped a lot.

I definitely prioritized compactness over serviceability. I expect some headaches but at least it all fits. There is room for an additional I/O card if needed, only have the 5i25 and 7i77 in there right now. I have a USB MPG pendant so not certain how many physical buttons I'll end up with in the end.

More
25 Dec 2017 23:10 #103609 by lunada
Replied by lunada on topic Lagunmatic 3516-SX Retrofit
I had enough room on the 7i77 for the machine to operate, but not enough for a pendant or any buttons. I left a little room and din rail for a serial remote daughter i/o board, but havent gotten it yet since the machine runs fine off the keyboard
The following user(s) said Thank You: giz

More
29 Dec 2017 20:39 - 29 Dec 2017 20:40 #103831 by giz
I could use some help finishing the wiring of the servo cards to the 7i77. From my servo cards, I have connectors with the following signals:
Pin No.       Signal
1             A-Signal
2             B-Signal
3             Marker Signal
4             +5 VDC
5             Zero Volts
6             Shield
7             Shield
8             Signal Servo Drive
9             (A)-Signal
10           (B)-Signal
11           (Marker) Signal 
15           Signal Return Servo Drive

I have all but Pins 6, 7, 8, and 15 connected to the 7i77 TB3 encoder pins. What I am confused about his how to correctly connect the 7i77 TB5 ENA-, ENA+, GND, and AOUT signals?

I have shielded, twisted pair cable for these remaining connections. I believe I should connect Pin 8 "Signal Servo Drive" to AOUT and Pin 15 "Signal Return Servo Drive" to GND. That leaves me with zero available pins for the enable signals? I don't see any reference to drive enable signals in the Glentek GA370 manual (attached) either, so I'm a little confused?

Also, where should I connect the cable shield on the 7i77 side?
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Dec 2017 20:40 by giz.

More
29 Dec 2017 21:39 #103832 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Lagunmatic 3516-SX Retrofit
Your signal connections sound correct
The analog signal shield should be terminated at the AGND pin
The encoder shield pin should be grounded at the encoder GND pin

It appears the drive enable is called "lock out" and must be grounded to disable the drive
this means you will likely need a relay (it may already be there) that has a NC contact that grounds "lock out"
until the relay is activated by the controller

More
30 Dec 2017 20:54 #103873 by giz

Your signal connections sound correct
The analog signal shield should be terminated at the AGND pin
The encoder shield pin should be grounded at the encoder GND pin

It appears the drive enable is called "lock out" and must be grounded to disable the drive
this means you will likely need a relay (it may already be there) that has a NC contact that grounds "lock out"
until the relay is activated by the controller

Thanks for your input Peter!

Looking at the wiring diagram, I can see you are correct about the relay existing. I haven't traced all the wires yet, but I believe this 1CRA relay is tied to the "Machine On" button. If this is the case, can I leave the enable pins on the 7i77 empty?
Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2017 23:49 #103883 by PCW
Yes, you can ignore the ena lines and run the lock-out relay from a 7I77 field output instead
The following user(s) said Thank You: giz

More
31 Dec 2017 03:20 #103887 by giz
Great!

This control panel is coming together, hoping to have it in the cabinet and testing the servos during the holiday break.

I overlooked the 5v power supply needed for the 7i77, so I ordered that today. It turns out I will need to run an additional cable for the spindle signals so I had to order more shielded wire, and still need to order a replacement fan for the spindle motor so it will be at least a week before I can test the spindle.

More
31 Dec 2017 22:13 #103912 by giz
Well I didn't make it far in my testing. Having trouble getting my config to start, with the debug message saying:
Debug file information:
./Lagunmatic_3516-SX.hal:25: Pin 'hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-00' does not exist

I start searching and it seems it could be a couple things. First route I start looking into is whether or not I have the right firmware installed on the 5i25. Seems unlikely that I do not, but I cannot verify because I don't have sudo permissions (apparently my "sudo is broken" which is a whole other can of worms...)

Since I couldn't verify the firmware, starting looking at power. I did not touch any jumpers on the 5i25 or 7i77 when I first hooked them up, and I supplied 24v field power to the 7i77 through a benchtop supply. CR3 and CR16 were illuminated, but CR1 was not. Checking the jumpers, I could see the 5i25 was in default position (W2 Down: power not sent through cable) and the 7i77 was in default position (W5 Left: host power used).

At this point, seems obvious why my config won't start, the 5i25 isn't sending power to the 7i77. I unhooked field power, adjusted voltage to 5v, moved the 7i77 W5 jumper to the Right position, and connected external 5v power to the 7i77. This time I do see CR1 illuminate, but my config doesn't start. I realize it's probably because I don't have I/O field power...

Next, I connected the 24v field power back and, moved the 5i25 jumper to the Up position, the 7i77 jumper to the Left position, and powered everything back on expecting to see a light at CR1 and for my configuration to start. Neither is true. I just confirmed, even with the W2 jumper set to UP on the 5i25, I get no voltage reading on pins 22-25 on the connector.

I never connected 5v external power before switching the W5 jumper on the 7i77. Is it possible I damaged the 5i25 by connecting the 7i77 using the default jumper positions for each board?

Or could this still possible be a firmware issue and I need to figure out my sudo permissions before we can say for sure? I purchased this 5i25 alone in the last couple months.

More
01 Jan 2018 01:46 - 01 Jan 2018 01:50 #103915 by PCW
The only way that you can damage a 5I25/cable (if the voltage/polarity is correct)
is supplying external 5V to a 7I77 and having the 5i25 set for no cable power (and unlimited 5V current)
This will often damage the 5I25s cable power option jumper

Note that cable power is only good for a few 100s of mA so may foldback due to the on card PTC
if you have any significant encoder load on the 7I77

If you did not get the 5I25/7I77 as a set it's most likely the 5I25 has 7I76 firmware
so will not work with a 7I77 until re-flashed
Last edit: 01 Jan 2018 01:50 by PCW.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds