which card to buy

More
23 Oct 2017 22:36 #100703 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic which card to buy
Yes, you can do that. Quite readily from a front-panel USB port or one of the on-board USB headers.
If you need more current than USB supplies then you might need to go from the PSU itself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2017 12:43 #100790 by Jorgefv
Replied by Jorgefv on topic which card to buy
thank you, I will take the 5v directly from the PC power supply and add a bit of filtering to it.

now I would like to know hot to do the tool change and selection, I have never used a machine with more than one tool before, I see that it has a tool table where I can add tool lengths offsets and other stuff, but how do I tell the machine which tool to use?

the tool selection is done by pneumatic pistons I can connect it to hal pins and it is a matter to turn pins on and off no carousel or things like that. I'm still on the process of learning.

More
26 Oct 2017 15:41 #100839 by andypugh
The T-number from a "Tn M6" command appears on a HAL pin iocontrol,0.tool-number
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/iocontrol.1.html

Is it one piston per tool, or something a bit more complicated than that?

More
26 Oct 2017 18:37 #100845 by Jorgefv
yes it is just one piston per tool, it has 16 small pistons that are simple pistons controlled with just a single pin, then there are another 4 big ones that have up and down sensors 2 of them have dual solenoid valves

thanks for the link, I will give a good read.

I was also looking at classic ladder tutorials they may get handy.

and one more question, I have got the 7i71 for the io I have measured the current of all solenoids and everything else that will be connected to it and none is above 230ma way closer to the 300ma from the documentation that made me feel a bit uncomfortable
should I add relay boards or something to buffer the current or I may be OK to leave just as is, off course I will add the extra diodes that are recommended for bigger inductive loads.

More
26 Oct 2017 20:17 - 26 Oct 2017 20:17 #100850 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic which card to buy
The (8 output) driver chips are limited to ~1.4A each so you could not have all 8x 230 mA outputs on one chip active at once
without eventually causing overheating. If you only have a few on at once it should be fine (as long as you have flyback diodes)
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 20:17 by PCW.

More
26 Oct 2017 22:43 - 26 Oct 2017 22:43 #100861 by andypugh

yes it is just one piston per tool, it has 16 small pistons that are simple pistons controlled with just a single pin, then there are another 4 big ones that have up and down sensors 2 of them have dual solenoid valves

I would use a G-code remap then, and G-code digtial outputs
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m62-m65
O<toolchange> SUB

(Turn off every cylinder)
(this could be a loop)
M65 P1
M65 P2
M65 P3
M65 P4
M65 P5
M65 P6
(and so on)

O100 IF [#<tool> GE 1 OR #<tool> LE 4]
(Wait for old tool return signal)
M66 L1 Q5 P[#<tool_in_spindle> - 1] 
(check for timeout)
O200 IF [#5399 LT 0]
   (abort, Piston not retracted for #<tool_in_spindle>)
O200 endif
(now extend the new tool)
M66 L1 Q5 P[#<tool> - 1] 
(check for timeout)
O201 IF [#5399 LT 0]
   (abort, Piston not extendedfor #<tool>)
O201 endif
O100 ELSE
(Not a tool with sensors)
M64 P[#<tool> - 1]

O<toolchange> ENDSUB
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 22:43 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jorgefv

More
08 Nov 2017 15:26 - 08 Nov 2017 17:08 #101522 by Jorgefv
Thanks for the information that will work perfectly for me I will start testing it, I'm also worried about the offsets, I realized I'm to noob for a machine this big.
I had no idea about subroutines and how to use them so I was reading about and also giving some maintenance to the pneumatic system.

I will also use that for the rest of the machine that basically is the vacuum cups to hold the work piece and some extra pneumatic cylinders on the bed that I don't know what they were intended for My first guess is to align the piece so I will use them for that.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 17:08 by Jorgefv.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds