Servo wiring and operation - Help needed wiring diagram

More
14 Nov 2019 14:57 #150366 by jools
Hi All

I'm wiring my servo for the spindle motor and would like some help as the manual is overwhelming and the wiring diagram confuses me and my basic knowledge.
The diagram is below to refer to.

Questions.
- Middle left CN2 panel: There are 5 switches/inputs shown; Servo enable, Alarm reset, clearance of deviation and pulse input ban.
1st) Can these just be push-button manual switches. So for Servo-Enable could I have a No-Volt-Relay, for Alarm-Clear and Clear-Deviation just a moment switch? These to be wired through a 24v dc power supply.
2nd) What is pulse input ban and do I need it?

In the Sigout there are 5 outputs: Pulse-Input_ban, Alarm-Detection, Location-Complete, Emergency-Stop-Detection and Common-End.
1st) Do I need Pulse input ban?
2nd) Alarm-detection. Should I wire common end to the common input ground on the Mesa 7i96 and the Alarm-Detection output to the input +ve on the Mesa?
3rd) Do I need location complete? I can't see a use for this at all!
4th) Emergency stop detection - My emergency stop just shuts down mains power, do I need this?

Speed Torque Analogue Voltage Instruction
I have enabled the PWM output on the MESA. PCW says get an digital to analogue converter so I will do.
1st) Will the converter only output +ve voltage?
2nd) If so should I use an output pin on the Mesa to drive some sort of polarity inverter or relay that switches pins so the spindle will drive in reverse?

Encoder
I read my encoder via differential signals with two wires so get the top part of this diagram.
1st) What is OZ and do I need to connect it to the Mesa? If so where on the Mesa?
2nd) GND - What if anything should I connect this too?

Thanks guys for all your help, you're all amazing :)

Jools
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2019 15:09 #150368 by tommylight
The ones in RED are a must, the ones in Black you can skip and forget.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
14 Nov 2019 15:59 #150371 by jools
Thanks Tommy; saviour as always.

Can I reverse the PWM signal to make the spindle reverse? Essentially use some switch to swap the wires?

More
14 Nov 2019 16:27 #150374 by tommylight

Can I reverse the PWM signal to make the spindle reverse? Essentially use some switch to swap the wires?

To what are you wiring it?
It can be done as you say, but switching has to be done while the drive is disabled.

More
14 Nov 2019 16:38 #150376 by jools

To what are you wiring it?
It can be done as you say, but switching has to be done while the drive is disabled.

As I am aware, though often get things muddled, the pwm output on the 7i96 is a 5v digital output; so can go from 0volts to 5volts using duty cycle. I have a pwm to analogue converter so think that I can then get an analogue signal in the range of 0 volts to +10 volts. This will drive the spindle in only one direction and I'm hoping for my machine to tap so need the spindle to reverse to withdraw the tap. The manual of the servo says that, again I'm using my knowledge that may be wrong, 0-10v+ drives the spindle one way and 0- -10v reverses it.

I was thinking of using one of the outputs on the 7i96 to drive a relay or 'gizmo' of some sort that had the PWM signal running through it, that would switch the polarity of the PWM signal so it essentially spins in reverse.

Jools

More
14 Nov 2019 17:49 #150381 by Todd Zuercher
It might just be simpler to configure your servo drive to use a step/dir signal.

PS. You know you don't have to have a servo on the spindle to rigid tap with Linuxcnc. (I hope you didn't go out and buy one thinking you did.) In Linuxcnc rigid tapping is done by the axis following the movement of the spindle, not the spindle following the axis.

More
14 Nov 2019 18:53 #150382 by jools
No the servo met the needs I had best.

I’ll look into the step sir option, might be simpler as you say.

More
19 Nov 2019 12:45 #150636 by andypugh
Does the manual mention configuring the SigOut pins to be encoder pulse repeaters? It is useful to be able to output spindle position to LinuxCNC.

More
19 Nov 2019 13:44 #150642 by jools

Does the manual mention configuring the SigOut pins to be encoder pulse repeaters? It is useful to be able to output spindle position to LinuxCNC.

I think that does that from the a b z differential outputs. I'm going to hook them up to the encoder inputs on the 7i96 anyway and see if I get a reading.

As an aside Andy I'm really struggling to get my PWM output working is there any chance you can have a look at this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/37828-pwm-not-working-7i96#150612

and see if you can spot any errors in the HAL or ini that I've attached there.

Cheers

Jools

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds