Bostomatic BD 18-2 upgrade

More
23 Jul 2020 11:52 #175527 by tommylight

I've taken the motors out and checked the encoder it is a 5000 cycles per revolution quadrature A&B with index. I need to get another as one of them was previously removed from the y axis servo. I am wondering if it's possible to add a higher ppr coder to one axis and have it behave similar to the other two.

You can add any PPR encoder to any axis, you will still get the right distances and everything will work properly, just the resolution will change.

I also have a lot of work to figure out what other hardware I'm going to need for the update. Are there any good resources on updating a older mill with some advanced features like ATC and dual spindle and hydraulic pump for the drawbar.

LinuxCNC is very versatile, so you can add all of those things.
As a start, use the sim ( simulated configs ) included with LinuxCNC, some of them have also a visual representation of the machine and ATC so you can see how things work and interact .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2020 20:54 #175573 by Todd Zuercher
As adding a higher resolution encoder. As far as Linuxcnc is concerned it shouldn't matter, but if the servo drives use the encoder feedback as well, they will need re-tuned, and if motor commutation is involved that will also need addressed.

More
12 Aug 2020 18:22 #178049 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Bostomatic BD 18-2 upgrade
Since your motors don’t have tachs , you would either have to use and amp that allows for encoder velocity or capable of running in current mode. I’d suggest a AMCI be25a20. These are brushless drives that can be run in single phase and have inputs for tachs , encoders and halls switches. They are super easy to set up. The Glentek motors are very common, the first 2 numbers being the diameter of the motor. You could use Glentek drives, but they are horribly expensive and any one who ever owned a Fadal knows Glentek has worst customer service then AT&T!! The amc amps go cheap on eBay and new are in the $500 range.

More
14 Sep 2020 02:45 #182049 by Smarttowers
Would those amps drive my brushed motors? I already purchased www.ebay.com.au/itm/322460615556 but now am unsure if it was the right direction. They are step direction so trying to figure out what i lose vs pwm.

Sorry for the delayed reply didn't realize i had gotten the response.

More
21 Sep 2020 01:26 #183013 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Bostomatic BD 18-2 upgrade
Yes, they will drive your motors. they use analog +/_ 10v signals. Servos will always be superior to steppers as they are closed loop. I have used these drives on yellow cap Fanuc motors recently with 1024 per rev encoders with good results. You could also run the AMC drives in current mode, which is a bit more work to tune.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds