Another Biesse Rover 322

More
02 Nov 2021 19:46 #225027 by ehb
Another Biesse Rover 322 was created by ehb
Hey guys,

I recently got a Biesse Rover 322 with CNI RT480 Control, which I plan on converting to Mesa cards. I saw the machine milling at the previous owner, but the old CRT screen died (with sound and light effects!) a couple of days after I got it to my shop. So, the machine shall get its Linux treatment a bit earlier than anticipated.

Fortunately, it seems I have full documentation of electrics, spare parts and everything else.

I found and read the other threads about 322 retrofits but I thought another won't hurt.

I will post updates to this thread once I gathered all the I/Os needed and figured out which MESA cards to use.

I'm thankful for any info that other users have gathered while retrofitting these machines - glad if you could chime in.

Talk to you soon :-)

Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2021 20:15 - 02 Nov 2021 20:16 #225030 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
I am pretty sure which machine this is. I have done a few Biesse's. This one is pre 1995I believe so it should have relay modules and not rs485 relays modules. This is good because the individual outputs come from rt480 control. These you can connect directly to the 7i77/7i71 outputs. 
I used the same cables and make a connector that connects to mesa outputs. 

Mesa lineup should be something like: 7i92M-7i77/7i74 with a 7i70 and a 7i71. This should be enough i/o dep[ending on what you want to keep on the machine.
If not enough, just add 7i84's as needed.

To turrn on this machine it uses a start button and a green light. The machine wont turn on without it. This loop runs through all the safety switches etc.... I would keep this as it works nice. This is before Biesse started using safety switches. 

They used a few different drives for the dc servo's but I believe all used +-10v velocity. 

These are fun machines to do. I don't know if you have 2 spindles and however many drills on drill bank but this is done through remap of M6.
These machines were usaually 600 volt in. 

Encoders go directly into 7i77 encoder inputs after supplying them 5vdc.

They have three phase bridge rectifier that supplies 24vdc to the system for relays, inputs and it has a great set of contactors and breakers. I suggest leaving all this in tack. 

IF you have all the schematics, this is great. Biesse did great drawings and wire labels on these machines. I suggest studying the drawings to see where what is where. Everything should be labled. And if you feel enthusiastic, you can scan the schematics and I can help if you send me copy of the drawings....lol  I did the 322 with no schematics, much harder deal.

Sorry for the rant, I love doing Biesse machines....lol

Last edit: 02 Nov 2021 20:16 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Masiwood123, ehb

More
02 Nov 2021 20:30 #225032 by ehb
Replied by ehb on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
Wow this is great - I really hoped you would give your two cents. Now it's a whole rant - even better!

Perfect, I will check if it really doesn't have the rs485 modules. That would be great, as I wouldn't have to tear apart the machine too much and the re-wiring concentrates on the rack. The machine is from 1995 though, maybe an early model.
Not sure if there are really no safety switches, I'll have to look into that. There are some yellow modules in the back of the rack which I suspected being safety stuff - afterall, the machine has pressure detecting floormats in front of it and a door switch for a cage. No light barriers though.

I had started and jogged the machine with the old RT480, already in my shop. It's connected to 3 phase 400 V.

I will post pictures of the machine, rack and documentation tomorrow. I also was impressed with the labeling of the wires. So far, all seemed to correspond with the schematics.

Yes, it has two spindles (identical, except the right one has a c-axis for rotating a horizontal saw blade tool holder), but only one VFD.
"However many drill banks" is exactly right, haha - would be fun if they could were usable, but I'm not convinced I'll actually use them. :)

Really so glad you immediately replied, gave me a great boost to keep working on the machine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Nov 2021 20:31 #225033 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Another Biesse Rover 322
Bevins gives way more than 2 cents, wayyyyy more ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehb

More
02 Nov 2021 20:45 #225034 by ehb
Replied by ehb on topic Another Biesse Rover 322

I noticed   Great stuff

On a sidenote: Which grease do you use in the central lubrication system? Biesse recommends Klueber PARALIQ GA 3400.

More
02 Nov 2021 21:03 #225036 by bevins

I noticed 

I have the mobil eq of what Biesse suggests at my shop. I'll get back to you with this.
If it is 1995 which I assume, then it probably has the relay modules. If it has the rs485 modules then you replace the ones in the machine with 7i84's. That takes up I/O that doesnt go back top the control cabinet.

Included with the safety stuff, re: rope, mats etc is a ton of breakers and thermo switches on the breakers and spindles, so you really should keep that loop. Easy to follow on the drawings.

The drill bank is easy. One motor turns all the drills, every other one turns in the opposite direction so you will need right hand and left hand drills. With that there is an air solenoid for each drill, which means you would need an output for each drill. I created a tool for each drill and a tool for group of drills and used the offsets off the first spindle. Each spindle has an air soleniod so when you go to use it you need to fire the one you want to use. You could remap M6 and depending on the tool# select the spindle or drills etc..... Getting way too excited...... Need to take a breath.

Back to the control, there is one wire in the connector that you add a ground to and it will enable your drives. and the analog +-10v signal, you just need to remove and connect it to the 7i77.

Here's another three cents worth.... lol

Bob

More
02 Nov 2021 21:06 #225037 by bevins
I forgot to add, if you have to use 7i84 in the field, then you would need to pass Field voltage, which should already be there, and a cat 5 cable for each 7i84 and stick connectors on both ends. control panel end goes to 7i74 the other well, plugs into the 7i84.

More
02 Nov 2021 21:10 #225038 by bevins
Did I mention these are fun machines to do?  

More
02 Nov 2021 21:15 - 02 Nov 2021 21:21 #225040 by bevins
Oh and, I have a Biesse 346 with three spindles with only one VFD. It gets selected and routes the moptor cables through the contactor but I think you said you had an aggregate saw which doesnt use the vfd. Like the drill bank there is a motor, through a contactor. You just need to turn on the motor ir drill bank motor contactor via a relay. It is already wired. Thats the beauty, you don't need to tear apart the machine, you just have to deal with the I/O's everything else is already done for you. You need this on? Just fire a relay.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2021 21:21 by bevins.

More
02 Nov 2021 21:17 #225041 by bevins
Sorry, done for the evening.... off to pickleball.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds