Bridgeport/Romi EZPath S Retrofit Planning

More
11 Jun 2022 22:24 #244961 by PCW
Are you using the basic7i97 hal/ini example files as a starting point?
the 7I97 requires specific PWM setup (offset mode) to work properly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2022 14:49 - 12 Jun 2022 14:55 #244996 by TurboStreetCar
tommylight post=244956 userid=17274

That is pretty much normal with no feedback from the encoders.
Not sure, but setting the P value to 0 should stop that from happening, or maybe there are other values. I never tried this, i always wire encoders first, then enables, then analog, testing each stage separately.

I tried zeroing out all the PID other then FF1, which has a value of "1". It still is immediately upon enable, outputting -9.99V. Not really a big deal, if its just requiring encoder feedback. If i jog the axis, i can get the output to change, so it seems to be controlled. I believe its most likely the encoder feedback being missing.

PCW post=244961 userid=481

Are you using the basic7i97 hal/ini example files as a starting point?
the 7I97 requires specific PWM setup (offset mode) to work properly

I started out with using PNConf, But have made some changes based on the example files.

One thing im mildly confused by, is the spindle on this machine uses a 0-10V analog signal, with a CW and CCW signal. So the analog speed control is always 0- 10V positive. 

The output from PNConf had this line:
pwmgen.00.offset-mode 0 # offset mode so 50% = 0

Which needed to be changed to a "1" value, which i believe is opposite of the comment descriptor.

Ive attached my current HAL and INI files. There are some things modified to allow for testing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2022 14:55 by TurboStreetCar. Reason: Fix Quotes

More
17 Jun 2022 13:43 #245319 by TurboStreetCar
OK So i spent some time really testing some things. I have both the 7i97 and 7i84 communicating to Linuxcnc and i have tested most of it out. Still no change on the axis analog out being pegged full output. 

Maybe its just not in the HAL or INI files, but it doesn't seem that the MIN and MAX output values are used to constrain the analog out value in the HAL files? 

I wrote a ladder program to read and control the 8 position turret, that in testing works. Ill have to see how it goes in the real world when i get to that stage. I also added functionality to have 4 rapid override buttons for 5, 25 ,50 and 100% values.

Here's the newest revisions of the INI and HAL files for that. I began adding HAL commands to the postgui file, maybe i should move them to the custom.hal file? Not sure if those things belong in a particular place?

At this point, i think i need to get the machine prepared for testing and such, i need to find the source power supplies and sort out the wiring. I do have full wiring diagrams, but i need to connect the diagram to real world by getting in there and seeing what the deal is. 
Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2022 13:55 - 17 Jun 2022 14:10 #245320 by PCW
Offset mode for all PWM channels must be set true (1) for the 7I97, your hal file still has it set to 0:

setp [HMOT](CARD0).pwmgen.00.offset-mode 0 # offset mode so 50% = 0

also the spindle output scale is set to 1:

[SPINDLE_0]
OUTPUT_SCALE = 1

This means any spindle RPM command >= 1 will give a 10V output
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 14:10 by PCW.

More
17 Jun 2022 14:32 #245326 by TurboStreetCar

Offset mode for all PWM channels must be set true (1) for the 7I97, your hal file still has it set to 0:

setp [HMOT](CARD0).pwmgen.00.offset-mode 0 # offset mode so 50% = 0

also the spindle output scale is set to 1:

[SPINDLE_0]
OUTPUT_SCALE = 1

This means any spindle RPM command >= 1 will give a 10V output

When i had it set to true, the output was incorrect. 

Max RPM for gear 1 is 1000RPM. 

When i set it to 1000RPM, it would output 10V, but it would output 0V at 500RPM, and -10V at 0RPM Setting it to false, corrected the output, so that it would output 10V at 1000RPM, 5V at 500RPM and 0V at 0RPM.

Is there something else that could be wrong in the case that it needs to be set to true?

As to the scale, i believe i read in the manual that the scale and MAX OUTPUT LIMIT (I think) work together. So currently, with a"1" for scale, i still get a proper 10V at (MAX) 1000RPM.

I think what makes this work is the gear section of the HAL file, that lists the gears as:
setp ratio_select.in01 0.001000
setp ratio_select.in02 0.000250

I believe this divides the scale up. I could change the gears to "1" and "0.25" and the scale to 1000, i believe.

More
17 Jun 2022 15:53 #245330 by PCW
Offset mode _must_ be set true

More
17 Jun 2022 16:34 - 17 Jun 2022 16:45 #245334 by TurboStreetCar
How would i then scale it properly so that 0 speed is at 0 volts?

Also, with the 7i84, it says the power cannot be switched, and must have a rise rate less then 10V/MS. Will it hurt the card if it is switched? Or will it just effect the scaling somehow?
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 16:45 by TurboStreetCar.

More
17 Jun 2022 16:54 - 17 Jun 2022 17:04 #245335 by PCW
The design of the 7I97 requires PWM offsetmode = 1

If you have output offset or scaling issues, the problem is elsewhere.

If you happen to have a old 7I97, you may need to update the firmware
as  7I97s with the original firmware  had an issue with the ENABLE and PWM polarity

On a 7I84, like most DC power devices (step drives etc) switching the primary DC power
with a mechanical switch or relay is harmful because of the unlimited current surge caused by
connecting the charged power supply output capacitors to the (discharged) load bypass
capacitors instantaneously. You can switch the AC side of the supply.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 17:04 by PCW.

More
17 Jun 2022 16:59 #245336 by tommylight

Also, with the 7i84, it says the power cannot be switched, and must have a rise rate less then 10V/MS. Will it hurt the card if it is switched? Or will it just effect the scaling somehow?

As a general rule, never switch the DC side, except things that are made for that, like laptops, phones, etc.
It will not affect scaling, but it will terminally affect the card, if the power supply can supply voltage and current above the rate of 10V/MS. Given that 7i84 uses little power before switching on the output load, almost any power supply will provide that.

More
17 Jun 2022 17:49 #245337 by TurboStreetCar

As a general rule, never switch the DC side, except things that are made for that, like laptops, phones, etc.
It will not affect scaling, but it will terminally affect the card, if the power supply can supply voltage and current above the rate of 10V/MS. Given that 7i84 uses little power before switching on the output load, almost any power supply will provide that.

Interesting, Once its in the machine that isnt going to be much of an issue, its just annoying to have to keep pluging/unplugging the wall warts to power the boards.

PCW post=245335 userid=481
The design of the 7I97 requires PWM offsetmode = 1

If you have output offset or scaling issues, the problem is elsewhere.

If you happen to have a old 7I97, you may need to update the firmware
as  7I97s with the original firmware  had an issue with the ENABLE and PWM polarity

On a 7I84, like most DC power devices (step drives etc) switching the primary DC power
with a mechanical switch or relay is harmful because of the unlimited current surge caused by
connecting the charged power supply output capacitors to the (discharged) load bypass
capacitors instantaneously. You can switch the AC side of the supply.

Ok so i just went in and tried some more things. Ive set all the analog outputs to offset mode = 1  and the spindle and X axis are good. X Axis shows 0V at rest, and if i jog in either direction, it goes up in voltage in that direction. Spindle, also shows 0V at 0RPM and 10V at 1000RPM in gear 1. 

Zaxis shows -9.99v at rest. Not sure why, double checked the INI and the HAL files, and both X and Z axis are set up identically. So im thinking, it must be the lack of encoder feedback for some reason. 

I just purchased this card within the last month, so i cant imagine its outdated? Ill have to check the firmware version through Mesa Flash when i have a chance. 

Heres the updated files. I Moved some HAL stuff to the custom.hal from the postGUI.hal, but a couple things had to be in the postGUI for Gmoccapy.

Note: i hope this double quote works, this forum is weird with quoting. Usually its tags, but this has its own format.
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds