How complex retro fit is a Fanuc O-M Alpha red cap controller to LinuxCNC

More
23 Jan 2023 04:28 #262706 by sivaraj

andypugh, thank you for your help. The spindle has a belt driven "Positioncoder" with this information on the label: A860-0309-T302; No. ZA-0251669 120605; N1018523. This "coder" cable, plugs in the bottom of the spindle servo amplifier, the cable (a real set of wires) to the optical device plugs in to the same spindle servo amplifier, at a different location.
I have not had access to the x, y or z servo encoder, it looks like the z or x axis (are the easier motor to access) motor will need to be removed to get to see the encoder, I will do that if the above information is not acceptable.
The best I could hope for would be if the spindle motor could be disconnected after finishing the "baseplate" with hope is to mount a hi-speed single phase spindle to the end of the BT-40 machine spindle, even if it required a (properly sized) static-phase converter (vs. the 10HP RPC).

Many thanks, all suggestions are warmly welcomed.

A860–0309–T302 is a 1024 pulses/rev quadrature encoder used for spindle speed/position feedback .
Attached is Fanuc Connection details
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2023 22:34 #262779 by new2linux
sivaraj, many thanks. The RS232 port cable is connected in CNC Connector is a (M5). I keyed in the 0 to 900 parameters, I am still working setting the;

"4).Enter Servo parameter you can do this in DGNOS/PARAM button >SV-PRM soft key
or"

I saved by setting PWE = 0, will start fresh tomorrow, starting here:

"in parameter 8n00 & 8n20~8n24
Set values of 8n20~8n24 and 8n00=00 (Initial setting of digital servo parameter is done)
n=1,2,3 , three axis
5).Enter Spindle Parameter
Set the motor model code from the parameter list >parameter No 6633
Automatic parameter initialization function Parameter 6519 bit #7 =1"
Will review the parameters to compare to the master list from PC, for correcting.

sivaraj, thank you!

More
24 Jan 2023 09:18 - 24 Jan 2023 09:30 #262805 by sivaraj

The RS232 port cable is connected in CNC Connector is a (M5). I keyed in the 0 to 900 parameters, I am still working setting the;

If you want to try RS232 , CNC should be in EDIT mode for Parameter upload or download
Set parameter value P38=10101000 (Either Channel 1 or 2 is RS232, PPR) and Full Key
Stop bits 2 > Parameter P2.0=1 &  P12.0=1
Baud Rate 4800 > Parameter P552=10 & P553=10
I/O = 0 or 1
ISO = 1
Last edit: 24 Jan 2023 09:30 by sivaraj.

More
24 Jan 2023 13:44 #262815 by new2linux
sivaraj, thank you! This is a pic of the ladder logic that I currently have. I am still working the limit switches. I will be away for part of the day. Many thanks.
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2023 23:04 #262840 by sivaraj

This is a pic of the ladder logic that I currently have.

Ladder shows X21.4 input is OFF or Machine is in Emergency stop State. Just trace this

More
29 Jan 2023 16:17 #263169 by new2linux
sivaraj, thank you for all the help, I am very grateful. I reached out to someone that had more experience than I do to understand what is happening with the controller as to tease out the proper fix.
What was discovered is there is no power going through the Main Relay (this is just after the main off/on disconnect in the electrical cabinet/panel; see pic) because no electric at wire T1 that would bring the contacts together in this Main Relay is the thinking.
When T1 is traced, it goes to the top of the 5th Fuse from the right. Going out of the bottom of fuse, is wire T4 that goes to the top of ALL 4 of the smaller relays, look for the pencil stuck in the start location of T4.
As a separate issue, the attached pic named; "This explains the issue" at the bottom read 6) parameter 269 to 274 have no data, all 0s. The machine builder sent this document, I believe some data is needed, and may be related to the power issue. The file the machine builder provided does not have any data in this set of parameters.
I have reviewed the parameters that I have keyed in manually, all match the file from the machine builder. The question I wonder about, if I get to a point where a download from a PC works, will that over right if I am not correct about the data I keyed in so far.

Many, many thanks, all suggestions warmly welcomed.
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2023 04:17 - 31 Jan 2023 10:55 #263208 by sivaraj

As a separate issue, the attached pic named; "This explains the issue" at the bottom read 6) parameter 269 to 274 have no data, all 0s. The machine builder sent this document, I believe some data is needed, and may be related to the power issue. The file the machine builder provided does not have any data in this set of parameters.
I have reviewed the parameters that I have keyed in manually, all match the file from the machine builder. The question I wonder about, if I get to a point where a download from a PC works, will that over right if I am not correct about the data I keyed in so far.

Many, many thanks, all suggestions warmly welcomed.

I do not think 269~274 required to set .
What alarm you have on screen . Please post it
Also post your complete parameter file here
Have you tried RS232 .
If you follow the RS232 settings I suggested it should work upload or download parameter with PC.
First try the PUNCH OUT > downloading parameter to PC . If you see readable data downloaded then try upload the parameter.
Earlier your default setting for Parameter 38 was wrong .So It wont work
Before uploading original parameter file , you may need to edit original parameter file (P38,P2,P12,P552&P553) to match with the RS232 setting that works for download .
Last edit: 31 Jan 2023 10:55 by sivaraj. Reason: email address removed

More
07 Feb 2023 14:37 #263939 by new2linux
Sivaraj is a true gentleman with exceptional knowledge with this controller, diagrams and much, much more knowledge! I was embarrassed more than 1 time by thinking I had followed Sivaraj's suggestion properly and thought he had pointed out to me the part that needed replacement, when in reality I had not understood the suggestion and was reading from the wrong diagram.
After giving up on the rs232, all the data has been keyed in manually, checked back to front several times. It is necessary to start with the 900s parameters (turn off/on, then the rest of the "Parameters & Diagnostic data" specific to your machine, from "machine builder") and this set as described (P38,P2,P12,P552&P553), some of the parameters set the "handshake with rs232" others set the (038) set full keyboard. There is a specific set of keys that require to be used in sequence to allow data sent or received, and this is very specific to the series of controller you have, to have success.
After reviewing the Parameters & Diagnostic data, confidant it's correct. The search found that the plug JX1B looks like it may not be required, but remove the cover and there are 2 pins are connected and this was the issue for the electrical/power.
I am ever so grateful for Sivaraj sharing his time and knowledge and equally grateful there is a Forum and thankful for the members, moderators and sponsors for their time and knowledge.
The question about the single phase power for the control does not seem to be possible, only a rotary phase converter will work, this is a 5.5Kw (30 min 7.5Kw) spindle motor, so I may consider a 5hp rotary phase converter.

Many thanks,

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds